Layout of a lifetime - workshop build

Mabel

Two cheap kitchen wall cabinets from ikea, a caravan sink set into a cheap off cut of worktop bought locally, and an ex local authority work desk bought via eBay complete my work area. Within a day I had my new huge desk filled!
The more space you have, the more crap you fill it with! :) I am very pleased how it has all worked.
I have two packs of laminate flooring left, free to a good home if anyone is local enough to be worth their while.36CE6DB5-DC38-416A-8F28-9C53C4479BF1.jpeg

Last edited:

Mabel

Please post Full Size images! You can edit your last posts to achieve that. Thanks.

Dave
Dave,
I am at the limit of my tech ability I'm afraid. I just type the words, add the undoctored photo from my album and press 'post reply' button. I have no idea how to post full size images but willing to learn :)
Cheers,
Tony

Mabel

After many, many years of planning, buying stock, more planning, then messy construction..... I finally get to the good stuff. I have built (started to build) a few smaller layouts over the years, but lack of time, house moves and life in general saw nothing ever finished. I used a number of different base board construction techniques. Some better than others. Initially, 1/2 inch chipboard (40 odd years ago, didn't everyone?), 1/4" ply on a 3"x2" frame, then lastly 9mm mdf on a 3"x2" frame. I was never happy with any of the above for various reasons. So much research was done, culminating with a trip to the Blyth and Tyne model railway club mini exhibition last weekend specifically to see the fledgling 'Jarrow' layout. The boards are the excellent Tim Horn product. Because the layout is in its early stages of build, I had chance to see the boards construction and make notes. Fantastic exhibition by the way chaps, and a big thanks to Lippy of Jarra for the layout tour. My wife was very impressed. Especially the scratch built station. Being a Jarrow girl herself, She had fond memories of using the facility in her younger days. Anyhoo, off back to North Yorkshire armed with notes & photos. Armed with a cut list I visited my local builders merchants in Scarborough. 24hrs later, their truck dropped off my perfectly cut 12mm hardwood ply. Board construction commenced immediately...AD7CA053-9BC5-492A-875A-118FACC9E2BC.jpegF5526294-DB8E-4ED2-885C-CF5277ED6170.jpegF5526294-DB8E-4ED2-885C-CF5277ED6170.jpegEAB8E834-6392-46CF-8D31-79751C69D197.jpegE98CA831-2073-4E0D-9EAA-6A2F6DFC07F9.jpeg

Mabel

Construction of the boards may seem unorthodox to some (me included!), but I watched a couple of American layout builds that use this method. Clamped PVA glued joints then nail gunned. It is a very quick and accurate way to build the boards. I still had to put a few screws in for my own peace of mind. For those interested, I had two 2.4 x 1.2 x 12mm boards cut in half length ways. (8ft x 4ft x 1/2inch in old money). This gave me two boards at 2.4m long by 610mm wide. I had a full board cut into 2.4m by 100mm strips. These I used to make the frame. I fitted the long sides first. Then cut the ends and two stretchers for each board at 586mm. Again, these were clamped, glued and nail gunned. The legs were constructed pretty much as the legs on 'Jarrow'. 2"x1" braced with 1/4" ply. These were set at 586mm wide so they were a tolerance fit in a purpose built slot. The photographs probably explain the process better than I can in words. In a very leisurely day, I had constructed three 2.4m x 610mm boards and their legs on my own. I was very pleased with myself :)7EF4CB20-2845-4294-9357-F793C1B03D80.jpeg372F4AEE-7116-41BF-A483-E0C9A2F6E12B.jpeg988C4052-105A-47DD-BD0A-783EF60D72B0.jpeg

Last edited:

Mabel

THE TRADE OFF....

For those that have read this thread from the beginning, will know that my railway room is attached to my wife's craft room. So, after a day building my first layout boards, the trade off was to spend the next day building my wife's new craft room facilities. F296CF71-B2FA-4E7F-B559-C7BC67672DDA.jpegEB41AA1D-A000-451B-A030-7139D85C6E1C.jpegD5392E94-CFB4-4CC2-B004-7EECA5791706.jpeg18A0B6A1-7977-4A65-8A6E-47641107E061.jpeg
Lots of ikea boxes! The central unit is three kitchen base units fixed together, to which we fitted castors (from Screwfix) as a stand up work station. My wife suffers from slipped discs so a stand up work desk was high on the list of priorities. This rolling unit is something I intend to build for my layout room too. The plan is for it to roll under my layout when not in use, as it will hopefully have my control panel set in top. That is the plan anyway!

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Ok probably too late now, but did you consider a rise & fall desk for Mrs Mabel?
Brilliant for getting the right height to suit the task at hand.

The stability of the twin motor ones is superb - can highly recommend, option to buy the frame only and put your own top on.

Last edited:

Mabel

Ok probably too late now, but did you consider a rise & fall desk for Mrs Mabel?
Brilliant for getting the right height to suit the task at hand.

The stability of the twin motor ones is superb - can highly recommend, option to buy the frame only and put your own top on.
Tracey did look at these often. But the extra storage (two base unit cupboards and one with a set of drawers) was the deciding factor. We built the three units. Clamped, then permanently fixed them all together. Then sat a spare piece of worktop on them. We then measured from the work top to her preferred arm work height. That gave us the size required for the castors. Not very technical, but it worked. There is a 4m long work desk not yet fitted that will provide her sitting down work area. Thanks for the link though. Much appreciated :)