2mm Let's build a Layout - The Midland somewhere in the Peak District, 1915-ish.

simond

Western Thunderer
I don’t know, I’ve never tried….

Mine has had its belt on the fastest setting since the day it arrived. I purchased the chuck with it, that goes up to 6.5mm. (I drilled a hole in the belt cover, into which the chuck key fits, that saves all sorts of bad language because I don’t have to clear the whole workbench to find it…) I’ve had it a fair old time now, maybe 20 years.

Presuming it’s mild steel, I’d guess with it on the slowest pulleys, a drop of oil and a sharp drill, it would follow a pilot hole if you go gently.

WM183

Western Thunderer
We decided to just get a "real" drill press (looking at a few benchtop sorts, 300-500 watt motor, 500-2500 RPM) and be done with it. They come with a much more useful range of speeds and stuff for us anyway.

WM183

Western Thunderer
Well!

It's been a moment, but summer with all its heat and rain and foliage has kept me uncomfortably busy around the house. However, we here at the Mini Midland have not been idle! Some turnouts have been built as practice, and a couple even work! I need to find a good method to operate them - for now, I want to keep them manual, so may go to some sort of "wire in a tube" method. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, we're going to start on a second engine. I am debating on either a Class 1 0-6-0 tank, or a class 2 4-4-0 tender engine. An 0-4-4t sounds a bit too complicated for me to want to attempt just now...! I am leaning towards the 4-4-0. I'd like to try my hand at an engine with a bogie.

I want to build a handful of wagons too, so I can have something to shunt about. Dave Eveleigh's recent article in the 2mm journal about lettering PO wagons has given me a taste for some private owner wagons that might be found about the Peak District. Perhaps something based on or around Rowsley Sidings...