LNER models in 4mm

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
D20 is now painted , lining etc will wait until the Tender is built.

Now on the go a Thompson Q1 3d print bought via ebay for £3, sitting on a spare Bachmann 04 chassis.
Obviously a partially failed print which has needed a lot of filling and levelling up on the large cracked offside. Other than a set of etched steps, all the other bits fitted are from the spares box.
Now primed , this has shown a lot of further cleaning up required.

Edit .

Last Photo of the Q1 Body is as bought.

IMG_6986.jpeg

IMG_6985.jpeg

IMG_6984.jpeg

IMG_6983.jpegq1 2.jpg

Last edited:

Western Thunderer
D20 is now painted , lining etc will wait until the Tender is built.

Now on the go a Thompson Q1 3d print bought via ebay for £3, sitting on a spare Bachmann 04 chassis.
Obviously a partially failed print which has needed a lot of filling and levelling up on the large cracked offside. Other than a set of etched steps, all the other bits fitted are from the spares box.
Now primed , this has shown a lot of further cleaning up required.

View attachment 214410

View attachment 214411

View attachment 214412

View attachment 214413

Looks good. Do you have, or know of, a set of drawings for the Q1? I have been looking but not found a source.

Thank you.

BetweenTheTunnels

Mick,
Given you have got the Q1 into primer, what’s your thoughts on '3D print v Brass' bodies, in terms of finish. Ive long thought 3D wasn’t there yet, as good as it looks, but some of the prints I am seeing recently look to be a real step up.

Your used to building brass locos and just wondered what your overall view was?I acknowledge that there are different printers and print qualities, but are they a good comparison to a brass body now, once painted?

Richie

Last edited:

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
Basically the answer for me is etched Brass/Nickel Silver out of choice for any kit (at the present time).

It all depends on how fine the level of detail is you actually want on the finished model, this is referring to 4mm scale , I do not do model in other scales.

3d is still very variable as to the actual strength of the material used, quality of the printer, etc etc. If you want 4mm really fine detail 3D is useless, as there is little to zero strength in such parts. This may change, as advancements are being made all the time in 3d modelling.

BetweenTheTunnels

Thanks @Mick LNER,
Thats aligned with my view at the present time, so I am glad I asked!! I do enjoy your thread, although I tend to monitor silently, but well done with what you have achieved so far!
Richie

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
Thanks @Mick LNER,
Thats aligned with my view at the present time, so I am glad I asked!! I do enjoy your thread, although I tend to monitor silently, but well done with what you have achieved so far!
Richie
Thanks.

For anyone interested there are far more LNER modelling posts on here

Link to page 5 as the photos have disapeared from the earlier pages. The same but even worse issues on my RM Web thread.

Last edited: