Matt's workbench - current project: Hornby Mk2e coach

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hello all,

My latest project is the venerable Airfix Lowmac. This was possibly the first kit I attempted to build (albeit the Dapol version) around ten years ago that started my wagon building interest.

The original (and very yellow) kit is still lovely and crisp, despite it's age.

I've only used the deck - I decided to fabricate my own solebars and bufferbeams from plastic sheet. Not really necessary, but I could not be bothered cutting the springs and axle boxes off. This way was just faster.

Not a complex kit by any standard - replacement springs, axle boxes, brake levers couplings and other bits and bobs still to add.

Matt

Last edited:

matto21

Western Thunderer
Sadly the Lowmac has ground to a halt while I ponder how to make the distinctive springs and associated parts.

Rather than waste two days while the ladies are away, I decided to tackle something that I've been working up towards for ages - an etched kit!

I've always struggled with soldering, and my frustrations have meant I've never really tried to improve my skills. Earlier this year, I decided it was something I'd like to be better at, so took every opportunity to practice - some handwheels here, and underframe there...

The first kit I'm going to tackle is a Palbrick - @Lyndhurstman also featured this kit on his thread a while ago.

Despite my trepidation, everything has gone together well (so far).

Saturday saw me end up with this...

03.jpg

This morning started with some head scratching about how to assemble the triangular end parts. In the end I made a primitive jig.

04.jpg

After a day of filing, bending and soldering, I now have this:

05.jpg

I can't express how pleased I am - couple of months ago this would have been outside my capability completely.

Matt

Last edited:

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Very nice, Matt. I seem to recall I had the devils own job getting the triangular braces in place; solder one in, one became unsoldered.. Yours seems to have gone much more to the designers plan :thumbs:

Cheers

Jan

matto21

Western Thunderer
Very nice, Matt. I seem to recall I had the devils own job getting the triangular braces in place; solder one in, one became unsoldered.. Yours seems to have gone much more to the designers plan :thumbs:

Cheers

Jan
Thanks Jan - one thing I've not managed anywhere is to get the tabs on the components to fit the intended slots, and that includes the triangular braces.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Going back the Lowmac - why not simply saw the springs out of the original side frames? Nothing similar is available from the trade and the Airfix springs aren’t terrible.

Adam

matto21

Western Thunderer
Going back the Lowmac - why not simply saw the springs out of the original side frames? Nothing similar is available from the trade and the Airfix springs aren’t terrible.

Adam
Tried that Adam - not possible to remove them cleanly from the solebars hence needing a Plan B!

AJC

Western Thunderer
Tried that Adam - not possible to remove them cleanly from the solebars hence needing a Plan B!

Piercing saw and a big file (and patience) for future reference. That or get hold of a Dapol one - here the soapy soft plastic they use has advantages.

@simond - the axleboxes are a bit naff: a square with a circle moulded on top. The springs aren't amazing, but good enough in my judgement. D&S did the same wagon, and obviously got those right. The real thing looked like this: BR Lowmac EK diagram 2/244 | LDB905034 ZYR Lowmac EK side rt

Adam

Last edited:

matto21

Western Thunderer
I'll have to scratchbuild something but it'll more likely be "in the spirit of" rather than an accurate representation - especially as I'll need 8 identical parts.

This is a case where it'd be useful if I was able to do my own 3D printing.

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
I'm not a big fan of Xmas at the best of times and with the house under siege from my wife's family, I took shelter in my modelling room and did a bit of soldering!

07.jpg

The underframe is a work of art in my opinion.

08.jpg

I think etched kits look better unpainted!

Have a good Xmas all!

Matt

Last edited:

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
A lovely kit, and a lovely rendering. I don’t like Christmas so much we’ve bailed and gone to Spain for the duration! At least it’s warm!

Have a good holiday, and here’s to your sharing more excellent output in 24.

Cheers

Jan

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

Hope you had a good Xmas with some modelling time thrown in?

Despite having to work in between, I've managed to find a few hours at the bench in the evenings so decided to stop pondering how to represent the Lowmac springs and just get on and fabricate something.

06.jpg

07.jpg

If you want an accurate representation, look away! I just used some chopped up cast springs, some bits of plastic rod and a few offcuts.

Won't pass close inspection but will look ok once painted hopefully.

Also the brake lever is from the spares box. The prototype lever is looped at the operating end - I tried representing this but it just looked clumsy and overscale however I did it so I've left it flat!

The wheels are probably too big too but...I had them spare!

Matt

Last edited:

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hello,

Let me start by wishing everyone a happy new year.

Although I've had a layout "under construction" I realised over Xmas that it's been in this state, without really progressing very far, for 3 years now.

There's a couple of reasons which I won't bore people with, but essentially I've spent a lot of time building wagons and other stuff in that time, and done very little work on the layout itself.

While the wrecking ball hasn't quite moved in yet, it's become clear that it's not something I want to persevere with any longer.

I've got three main interests location-wise when it comes to modelling: North Wales, Cornish China Clay and the Scottish Highlands.

Over the years, I've tried several times to build a Highlands inspired signal cabin. None of these attempts have progressed very far - mainly due to a lack of effort on my part. It was, therefore, with interest that I noted Peco were producing Highlands inspired kits.

I duly purchased one of the Helmsdale signal cabin kits and then stored it away almost immediately.

I like to mix up my projects and I've been pretty focussed on wagons for a while now so thought this might make a nice distraction to that.

Firstly, I really don't enjoy building laser-cut kits. I much prefer scratchbuilding structures in plastic. The Peco kit has some beautifully subtle surface texture, especially the planking and really fine window frames but I found the tolerances of the inner walls to be incredibly tight, so much so that I couldn't assemble them as intended using the tabs. So I deferred from the instructions and assembled the outer walls first, then added the internal sections, having trimmed them to fit - the complete opposite of how Peco intended!

Despite the aforementioned surface texture, I'm not a fan of laser-cut bricks, so substituted it for embossed plastic. I've also rebuilt the steps and bannisters/handrails. Neither are really necessary, just personal choice.

Finally, I've separated the windows so I can pose them open.

Some pics:

03.jpg

04.jpg

Matt

Last edited:

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

The construction phase is now nearly completed, and it's a pretty compact structure!

08.jpg

I've entirely rebuilt the roof using embossed corrugated plastic. The prototype box has decorative bargeboards, nicely represented by Peco, but my rebuilt roof meant I could not get them to fit well enough to be happy.

I ended up rebuilding them, although I cut my losses and made completely plain ones - luckily my model is not a faithful representation of the original so I'm happy enough with the compromise.

The model is also sitting on a cardboard inner base - mainly so I can hold it when the time comes for painting!

Matt

Last edited:

matto21

Western Thunderer
My goal for 2024 is to build fewer wagons, but build those that I do to a higher standard.

With that in mind, I've had a mini clear out. Some I've sold and some, like these, have been stripped of useful parts and binned.

Why? Because I no longer consider them up to standard and I don't think stripping them and rebuilding and repainting to be worth the effort.

I'll probably still do random wagons though - the urge will prove too much I'm sure!

Last edited:

matto21

Western Thunderer
I'm in the (very) early stages of planning a layout, so rather than rush in with plans and buildings etc, I thought I'd do it the other way around and focus on some stock first.

I will need some coaching and parcels stock, so this is where I've chosen to start.

Firstly, I've never paid any attention to coaches of any type. They've always passed me by literally and I've been happy to let them.

Secondly, I was amazed at how expensive Bachmann coaches are, even on auction sites - how anyone can afford multiple rakes of 10+ coaches each is beyond me!

I already owned two (a BCK and a CK) and after a lot of searching, bidding, being outbid and more searching, I've been able to add a few more - all Mk1's or Mk2's.

I'm not planning on getting carried away with them, just doing some basic detailing where needed. One thing I noticed was the earlier releases have very prominent roof ribs, whereas the later ones don't. After dismantling the CK, as a trial, I decided to try sanding down the ribs.

It's not difficult, it's just really boring...so it's one of those tasks I'll have to do as and when.

FK01.jpg
And, after several hours of sanding I was left with a rib-less roof:

FK02.jpg

As mentioned above, this is one of those tasks I'll have to do as and when I feel like it because it isn't much fun.

Moving on to parcels stock, I decided to kick things off with an ex-Blue Spot SPV - using the Parkside kit. I've built a couple of these over the years, and had a spare kit in my stash. For some unknown reason, my kit had no underframe parts at all - I simply cannot remember if I bought it like this for some reason, or if I've used them for something else. If so, I have no idea what...

This would therefore mean scratchbuilding everything from the body down - and it just so happened I was looking for an opportunity like this to push myself - and my newly improved soldering skills - and "up my game" rather than rely solely on plastic bits.

The underframe details are a combination of scratchbuilt, etched parts and various bits from the spares box. I'm very pleased with how this has turned out.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Other than axleboxes, this is ready to be painted, although note the roof is not yet glued in place hence the visible gap above the door.

5+ years ago I bought two old Lima CCT's second hand and made a start on detailing them. I soon got bored and packed them away. Building the SPV gave me the opportunity to dig them out of storage. I'd primitively replaced the Lima w-irons and wheels and my initial plan was just to continue where I left off - replace the windows, repaint and be done with it. I'd glued plastic w-irons to the chassis and in the intervening years, the joints had become brittle. No sooner had I got it out of storage, I snapped these off accidently which meant plan b was needed.

I then tried to modify the existing Lima chassis to accept some etched w-irons, but in my carelessness, sanded the solebars so thin they also snapped. At this point I decided to cut my losses and just rebuild everything.

So, much in the vein of the SPV, everything is again a combination of scratchbuilt parts from plastic, bits of etched details and odds and ends from the spares box. The battery boxes were transplanted from the original chassis because they look pretty decent to me. I think the effort was worth it.

04.jpg

Matt

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Moving on to parcels stock, I decided to kick things off with an ex-Blue Spot SPV - using the Parkside kit. I've built a couple of these over the years, and had a spare kit in my stash. For some unknown reason, my kit had no underframe parts at all - I simply cannot remember if I bought it like this for some reason, or if I've used them for something else. If so, I have no idea what...

Parcels, paper and newsprint - except you'll need about 8 of them :D. These are two of my photos taken at Aylesbury in the late 1970s. One with a Cl.25 shunting a CCT

Aylesbury 1.jpg

Aylesbury 2.jpg