7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Erhum.... I just found a big flat box marked "Q1".

IMG_20230224_135536215.jpg

And......:rolleyes::oops:

IMG_20230224_135603146.jpg

Not an ABC motor/gearbox but the one which had been in use when I tried to get the loco to run properly. There's also a wire pair with a mini plug on it which I think was removed when the loco was painted.

I'm definitely developing a forgettery.

Brian

cmax

Western Thunderer

View attachment 181258

View attachment 181257

Not an ABC motor/gearbox but the one which had been in use when I tried to get the loco to run properly. There's also a wire pair with a mini plug on it which I think was removed when the loco was painted.

Brian
Brian,

Joking aside, its a lovely looking model of a favourite class of mine.

Gary

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Yes, there are a few. P'raps that's why it won't run properly (apart from the fact that it has no motor/gearbox :D). Actually, apart from the fret the only pieces left are those for post-paint fixing, and as I never got the thing to run properly after painting they were never fitted either. Having been prevented from using the workshop for a year or so due to building works I'm gradually sorting it out. Should be ready for use some time soon after...hmmm... Guildex. I'll be delighted to get the loco back and finish the tweaky bits.

Brian

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Yes, there are a few. P'raps that's why it won't run properly (apart from the fact that it has no motor/gearbox :D). Actually, apart from the fret the only pieces left are those for post-paint fixing, and as I never got the thing to run properly after painting they were never fitted either. Having been prevented from using the workshop for a year or so due to building works I'm gradually sorting it out. Should be ready for use some time soon after...hmmm... Guildex. I'll be delighted to get the loco back and finish the tweaky bits.

Brian
One of those wasn't a boiler underside was it by any chance, it's a really big hole under there and the shadows don't fall well due to it's abscence, like the BLP it also really needs a blastpipe module.

I bagged a few detail shots at the weekend......for future reference....just in case ;)

IMG_1859.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Finally all finished, today was DCC install, set up and tune with a few hours running in.

I'm sure I've posted shots before, but the new photo bench was right behind the DCC bench, so it was rude not to do some new better (to my mind) studio shots before it finally leaves next weekend to be hand delivered at Kettering.

Of all my commercial builds, the Royal Scot is the most likely class I'd want for myself.

IMG_12228.jpg

IMG_12233.jpg

IMG_12237.jpg

IMG_12238.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
One of those wasn't a boiler underside was it by any chance
I don't think there was one supplied, Mick, and I've left the bottom of the boiler open to allow fitting of lead, sound modules etc. I'll check tomorrow.... I agree that ideally it would do well with a blast pipe module, though.

B

mickoo

Western Thunderer

View attachment 181258

View attachment 181257

Brian
Well the motor will do for starters, though that looks like an MSC one with the plastic gears?

I doubt the kit will have a boiler belly, I cannot see anywhere to fix it, ideally you just need four small tabs in each corner and then screw it in place with 12BA screws once all the DCC and lead is inside.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Lovely work on the Scot Mick - I had one of those coming my way before I stopped taking commissions.

The MOK Q1 is a great kit to build, I put modified 4F motion inside the one that I built.
View attachment 181460
Regards
Tony
Nice Q1 Tony :thumbs: Not had the privilege of building one yet, but looking at Brian's build I might actually be tempted to buy one myself, then grab some drawings from the NRM (which shamefully will mean another overnight stay....shucks :p) for the inside motion, boiler bottom and blast pipe unit.

I think the Royal Scot may actually have been the one in your list before you stopped ;).

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Have to confess, on my 4 mm motor fitted locos, I used fine (0.2 mm) wire fixed into a hole immediately below the centre terminal and ignored the wires to the outer terminals. You might not get away with that in 7 mm.
Dave.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Have to confess, on my 4 mm motor fitted locos, I used fine (0.2 mm) wire fixed into a hole immediately below the centre terminal and ignored the wires to the outer terminals. You might not get away with that in 7 mm.
Dave.
These'll be three 0.3 mm wires into very small heat shrink and then into the shaped socket on the end, it's the fixing at the top end to make it look neat that'll be the problem.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Well the motor will do for starters, though that looks like an MSC one with the plastic gears?

I doubt the kit will have a boiler belly, I cannot see anywhere to fix it, ideally you just need four small tabs in each corner and then screw it in place with 12BA screws once all the DCC and lead is inside.
As you suspected, Mick, no boiler belly provided. To tell you the truth I'd not even thought about that until you raised the matter so I'll almost certainly do nothing to the underneath.

B

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Small update on the full metal jacket Bulleid, the overlays arrived and now all fit, the deflectors are just tacked on to make sure they all line up and fit with the relevant parts, I think the RH might be on the wonk a little but they're both coming off to add the details before refitting.

Overall the overlay fit is good, the RH side was done first using one method and there's some very gentle ripples in the skin, I'm hoping they dress out but am prepared to accept it may have to come off and a new skin be fitted.

The LH side was fitted with method two and is a satisfactory finish, so that's what I'll use on model two and the RH side is a new skin needs putting on.

Both gutters required a tweak which has left a small gap twixt roof panel so that needs a skim off the base to settle it down a bit better.

It's getting there slowly but still a ways to go yet.

IMG_12244.jpg

IMG_12246.jpg

IMG_12250.jpg

cmax

Western Thunderer
Mick, that looks fantastic, and goes to show that mixed media works just as well on model railway subjects, as military and aircraft modellers have known for years.

Looking forward to seeing this and the Gladiator 0-4-4T fully finished, more please!

Gary.

P.s love the new back scene

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick, that looks fantastic, and goes to show that mixed media works just as well on model railway subjects, as military and aircraft modellers have known for years.

Looking forward to seeing this and the Gladiator 0-4-4T fully finished, more please!

Gary.

P.s love the new back scene
I suppose that's the point I've been banging on about for a couple of years now, if you use the right media in the right place it has the opportunity to enhance the fidelity and speed up the build process.

There's two of these Bulleids, this will be #54, the other will be #52.

The back scene is nice, it tickles my photography anorak so serves a double purpose :D I have a lighter grey one as well but haven't had time to try it out as I got hooked on this one.

MD

Quality again Mick!
IT looks fantastic, the bottom edge is far better than the chunky resin moulding especially when you fit the pipe runs. The ripples you have encountered probably make the engine more like the prototypes after a week or two`s service;)
Dave