Mickoo's North American Railroad vacations

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Guessing gp50. No gp's have the taller radiator screens except the 50's and 60's (there are rare oddballs like the gp49 or gp59 granted) and the gp60's have a boxy dynamic brake blister. Probably rebuilt to gp38-2 specs, downrated in horsepower at the same time.

Just guessing, I could look it up, maybe later. It probably says on the trailing edge of the cab, under the window. Although that probably lists the current rebuilt model designation.
I took a good look at the cab designation, it was well patched and couldn't see the original one underneath, though the old road number was clear enough, but suspect that wasn't it's original MKT number and was an interim UP number.

UP seem to shuffle engine numbers quite often in a loco's career and many older units have been shunted over to the UPY series to make space for modern GE/EMD units.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
UP 1210 ex-MKT 361.
There’s a 2xxx number underneath, lap top packed away now as early start but will check later. Really really tempted right now to just blitz south to Cajon.

Two options, drive down and drive back to Seattle, drive down to LA and drop the rental and pay the surcharge, then flight back to Seattle for flight home. Gas for drive back will be close to $200, flight probably pretty close but not checked yet.

Gonna sleep on it first though, still ten days left so lots of options but east to Missoula, south to Butte then Salt Lake City and Vegas for Cajon is rather appealing right now.

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Your pet cloud is waiting.............
I’m sure it is :p

Not sure if heading south is the right thing to do for the wrong reasons, or, the wrong thing to do for the right reasons :cool:

But the route planner is set and all gassed ready to go.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Yeah I’ve seen it before but never this thick, it was just the irony of the situation, it’s cleared now to Cajon but Keenbrook and San Bernardino still socked in. There’s been 12 trains in less than two hours. Of course being Sunday all the gays are out cruising, I’ve been approached twice already, they’re polite enough but it’s a right pain

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick

You seem to have gone all quiet, don't tell us that its completely fogged in.

Richard
Yes and no, in a nut shell I wasn’t feeling Cajon, locals in the gas station and fast food said it’d been foggy for weeks and that day was a good one. I went down to my little place at Keenbrook and it had all changed, lots of trees ripped up and replaced with beat up campers, boats and just shit.

On top of that I can’t walk well from the calf muscle injuries and the RAV4 is nothing better than a Chelsea tractor that spits it’s dummy out in 2” sand so that basically wiped out Cajon and I drove back that night to The Dalles.

Was Cajon a waste of time, yes and no, cost a bit in fuel and time and only a handful of photos, but on the upside it mentally released me from there. I had to go to be sure it was the wrong thing to do and basically I said goodbye to Cajon.

On the upside I met some fantastic people at gas stations and food places and saw some stunning sights and scenery along the way. So whilst I don’t have many train photos or memories I have all these others and it was kind of cool to do 2200 mile road trip in three days.

Next few days were a funk, whenever I arrived anywhere track crews turned up and basically saw about five trains in four days, the sat nav was planned for the airport and was ready to jack it all in to be honest. I’m also tired of being ripped off by hotels jacking prices up for any number of excuses and ended up sleeping in the rental for three nights on and off, two of those on the road trip.

Now back in Montana and spent the day at Mullans pass tunnel……I have a new Cajon. Yet again MOW pitched up so nothing for six hours but I had no where else so stick it out. Good thing about MOW windows is you get a blizzard of trains when it ends, and so I did.

Sadly it’s supposed to throw it down for the next two days, so I’ll see what gives, but essentially it’s a slow drive back to the airport over the next six days picking off whatever I can.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I can't wait to get back to Ohio, roll on October and lots more trains.

Richard
Whilst there are lots of trains I don't get the scenery, it just does nothing for me and not a place I'd plan to visit. I have all the close up and detail shots I can ever need.

This trip was specifically about the geography, oh and I don't like deciduous trees, half the year clothed half the year naked, what gives! I find nothing more unappealing that bare stark trees, perhaps being half Danish has a factor in my like for fir trees.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
It was meant in jest. I know there are two requirements for your trips here, and this area can only possibly ever meet one of them :(.

I don't like deciduous trees
No different than railfan locations I guess. Gotta be true to yourself :D.

I hope you have better luck for the rest of your trip.