4mm Monks: perhaps NOT a Classic Minories - for a grandchild.

One little boy, one little man. Funny how time flies. (Olazabal/Smith)
  • jonte

Western Thunderer
    Decorating has taken over during the last couple of days or so, fellow Westerners, but in between, I’ve carried on decorating the track to see where it takes me.

I tried out some variegation in sleeper colour without introducing another colour to the palette, in effect a 50:50 mix of the blue I’ve been using for the sleepers with the green of the ballast. In all honesty, I did try a mid grey but against the blue, it left a white-ish bloom which is proving troublesome to rid, despite the overcoatings. Hopefully this will disperse with further treatment, and I’m just enjoying playing about with it at the moment, but still with one eye on the photo:

D66A6BF2-36F6-4AB7-B883-00E90E2DD8AD.jpeg

Further variegation, which hasn’t worked as well as expected on the sleepers - there’s an orangey/brown colour which still won’t quell, and is probably due to certain colours not working with others, but it’s all trial ‘n’ error. Back into the paint box I must delve. However, I’m quite pleased with some variegation of hues in the ballast; will try and reintroduce some of the green which thankfully is still present below the rail. Here, a first - of many - dark wash has been applied:

46CE3A70-6045-4410-9CEC-D387029C3DD0.jpeg F216C3AF-FB70-4AB0-800C-574EE4489941.jpeg

Now the rail colour is a bit too prominent so will need reducing. My modus operandi will be to wash this on over a Matt black undercoat on the actual model in an attempt to introduce some variegation to this part of the track and reduce its intensity.

Now back to a full size emulsion brush and a large area of 1:1 ceiling.

Jonte