'Nettlebed Lime' - 16mm dead steam

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Giles, I think what you have done there is brilliant, smoke out of the chimney, driver looking where he is going…. Given it is an open cab loco, how about the driver also opens and shuts the regulator as the loco moves off and stops? (puts on tin hat and exits left, rapidly…)

Nigel
I suppose that if the motor operated the regulator and the loose arm was attached to it. (I'll leave as well)

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Lovely stuff there Giles! Our own permanent way is starting to look quite like yours - especially the dock road! What with all the hardstanding works going on around here, we haven't had much time to cut back the grass, deal with moss or otherwise keep the trackbed tidy!

We have got a couple of patches of naughty nettles getting nicely established already... and in just the wrong places! While you are trying to plant 'em, I'll have to be digging them out before they hurt somebody!

Pete.

Oban27

Simply brilliant!

Almost tempted to scrap all my current projects and have a crack at something similar!

Roja

Giles

Western Thunderer
Well, it's all supposed to be fun!

When I started building this layout this a couple of months ago, the intent was that only the Hunslet and maybe a other small locowould work it - but then I had the idea of enlarging the Tattoo with the knowledge that it wouldn't fit under the bridge..... the end of last week I took the bull by the horns and cut the bridge off the layout entirely, carved about a bit with a kitchen knife (Di was out at the time....) bonded in 16-18mm of packing, and re-set the bridge a bit higher. It needed another course of stones at the bottom and grass redoing. I also had the opportunity to give it a black wash (in theatre scenic art parlance). This is working in a wash of water with black paint in it - quite a lot more than you would ever get by washing your brush out in water. It's a frightening process, because with the first brush you think 'what on earth am I doing!!!' But you have to keep going for consistencies sake. Of course it dries soon much lighter, and I gave it three washes....
The effect of the wash is to tone the colours down and to tie the colours together, so they no longer clash.

They give 'soot washes' to new buildings for exactly the same reasons.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I've made a start prototyping the fiddleyard. This issue is that its only got one function - that of running round - and I need it to be short. Also, I don't want to be picking up loco or wagons.......

Intriguing!! :thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing how the fiddleyard develops.

Mike

Osgood

Western Thunderer
When they first came out I was a dab hand at them but had to take the cube into another room - with practice got it down to around three minutes.
But after a while the manufacturers cottoned on and then one could no longer prise off the cover of the central blue square, remove the screw and dismantle/reassemble with all colours in the right place. :rolleyes:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I simply took the engineering approach as being the likeliest quicker route to returning the cube to 'solved' format.
I worked on the basis it had to have been assembled somehow, and there were only so many possible locations for the final fastener.
Had it been a sacrificial click and lock final fix it would probably have been deemed Osgoodproof.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Wonderful work as ever Giles!
Love the way you’ve created the scene - and your technique of planting such long grass; inspiring.

Neil.

adrian

Flying Squad
It's going to be another one of those layouts where there will be as much fascination with the fiddle yard as there is in the layout itself!

Do you have any plans for latching the mini turntables for alignment? A lightly loaded ball latch in the intermediate turntable?

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Giles,
Your layout is superb, both visually and in operation. However if I could just make one slight comment regarding the grass, which is outstanding and much the best way of applying static grass but I think there's possibly just a little too much of it especially round some areas of the track. Considering the operation as in your video of the prototype system, without the benefit of automatic coupling/uncoupling and points which change by magic, the driver would be on and off the loco several times to uncouple, change the points, re-couple, etc, walking regularly between where the loco stops and the operation required, and these areas would be largely free of grass and well compacted. If the driver had an assistant, usually a young lad would be normal, he would tend to walk between each operation rather than jump on and off the loco, so a greater area would be regularly walked on. Remember the old saying (or maybe its something I've just made up ?) - "grass grows where nobody goes".