New South Wales Railways rolling stock.

Linton

I thought I should give a progress update. All the etched parts for the 1 plank A, 2 plank drop-side/centre door D, 3 plank drop-side/centre door D and the 3 plank with raves (Shale/wood chip) D are now complete. the 3D CAD models for all 3, new wagon bodies wagons are done and just waiting for my printer to arrive. So the only drawing jobs waiting to be done are the axle boxes/springs and the buffers.
I have attached screen shots of the 2D orthographic

• the 2 plank kit can be built into at least 8 different variants depending on choice of buffers and axle boxes
  • the 3 plank kit can be built into at least 100 different variants depending on choice of buffers and axle boxes
  • the Shale/wood chip wagon is a variant of the 3 plank D with the extra raves attached to the top.
View attachment 127396 View attachment 127397 View attachment 127398 View attachment 127399 Marc

They are looking very promising Marc. I am still to look for those axle box drawings for you.

Linton

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Hi Linton.

Thanks for the info: 1034 looks very smart! :cool: However, I'm intrigued by your mention of the wartime austerity grey paintjob. That sort of colour/gone is appealing to me for some reason. Do you have any more info on this at all please?

Mike

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I thought I would update everyone on progress.

The 3D printer is here and it have been tested. The results make some of the "Commercial" 3D printers look like they are lowering their quality to maximise their profits. But I will not say anything more on that.

So, with this in mind, I have changed how I'm going to do the kits. As you all know I was going to print the bodies and have the strapping as a separate etch as I have done with most of our other 7mm kit. Now they are all going to be printed as complete blocks buffer guides, and strapping included. The plan to etch the axle guards and brakes stays the same. This means that I will not need to have extra tooling for other NSWGR wagons going forward. And this also gives an option to scale up (G1 1/32) or down (HO) the wagon bodies with little effort if their is a demand.

So to start with these will be the kits.
Kit 1 2 plank (D) drop side 8ft6 Wheel base (fitted or unfitted)
Kit2 2 plank (D) centre door 8ft6 Wheel base (fitted or unfitted)
Kit3 3 plank (D) drop side 8ft6 Wheel base (fitted or unfitted)
Kit4 3 plank (D) centre door 8ft6 Wheel base (fitted or unfitted)
Kit5 3 plank (D) centre door with extended raves for coke/shale/chip wood 8ft6 Wheel base (fitted or unfitted)
Kit6 3 plank (D) drop side 9ft Wheel base(fitted or unfitted)
Kit7 3 plank (D) centre door 9ft Wheel base(fitted or unfitted)
Kit8 3 plank (D) centre door with extended raves for coke/shale/chip wood 9ft Wheel base(fitted or unfitted)
Kit9 1 plank (A) fixed side 8ft6 Wheel base (unfitted)

I'm hoping to have the first ones ready for shipping at the start of December so they can be with people by Christmas. I you do want any of the above for Christmas The last day for ordering will be Oct 31st as I need of order etches.

Marc

Last edited:

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
It's been a while coming but the first 3 wagon bodies are off the printer along with axle boxes and buffers. So my next job is to build the prototypes.
The wagons are a 2 plank with centre door, 3 plank dropside and a shale/wood wagon.
I will post more when I have finished them.
Marc

IMG_20210818_171353302.jpgIMG_20210818_171358101.jpgIMG_20210818_171402614.jpg

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I'm printing the prototype as we speak. I have a test etch for all the different 8ft6 and 9ft WB brakes I'm hoping to have a few built by the middle of June.
I will post photos once I have built one.
Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
The first 3 prototypes are on their wheels and now just need numbering.
IMG_20230625_204423.jpg

First off 2 plk centre door of 1870 painted as 1900 piped only

IMG_20230625_201611.jpg

3plk drop side of 1885 painted as 1900 piped only

IMG_20230625_201538.jpg

3plk centre door of 1895 fitted with Westinghouse air brakes and round brake wheels. Painted as 1900.

All build to S7 but could be fitted with 7FS wheels.
The shale wagon and the ballast wagon should come off the printer this week.

They will be available at GuildEx (Stafford) in September, subject to etches arriving.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Good news the etchers have found the artwork and have just sent me 18 wagons worth of parts. Most of these are already spoken for but I have enough parts for 5 wagons. If anyone wants them. The prototypes will be on show at the Guildford o gauge show on Saturday I will have 5 random wagons from the range available on the day unless someone wants a specific wagon.

Currently available

D 2 plank centre door (8ft6 WB)

D 3 plank centre door (8ft6 WB)

D 3 plank Centre door (9ft WB)

D 3 plank drop side (8ft6 WB)

D 3 plank drop side (9ft WB)

D Shale/wood chip (8ft6 WB)

D Shale/wood chip (9ft WB)

2 plank ballast (8ft6 WB)

Available as complete kits in 7mm and as bodies in HO, 4mm, S(1:64), G1(1:32) G2 and G3.

Marc

Last edited: