Nick Dunhill's 7mm workbench.

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Chris
It's kind of you to say that but a lot of it is persistence, good starting materials and the best support crew.
Nick

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
....an update on the tender builds. I have completed the pick-ups,

20160406_195826_zpsh2rnno1r.jpg

and the vacuum brake/steam heat pipes. They go through the mounting plate and the pipes disappear into the rear drag beam box sections.

20160406_195803_zpspoyybdh8.jpg

I have made a start fitting up the brake cylinders and cross beam.

20160329_152638_zpslpsvagrw.jpg

20160406_195749_zpsh1ofgpue.jpg

It will be finished soon.....

mickoo

Western Thunderer
....an update on the tender builds.

It will be finished soon.....

I'm going as fast as I can ;) The change from DJH to Finney body threw it all back a good couple of months, the previous cab and footplate etch was all but junk (I have a lot of scrap NS now :thumbs:) so new ones are being made up (more accurate I hasten to add due to the shell change) and hopefully in a couple of weeks the new art work is going off to PPD for etching. Once I get that back and it's all ok I'll run off the production runs.

Mick D

mickoo

Western Thunderer
No hurry mate plenty to do on the chassis.:thumbs: How's the body coming on?
Nick, once we have the footplate and cab sorted then the body will be modified to be a snug fit.

When you start the chassis don't use the outside cylinder frame work or wrapper, new ones are on the footplate etch which give the correct parabolic curve and front end support, also new outside front sand boxes with the filler neck added and sanding levers / brackets are coming too. There's also new inside sand boxes which will be easier to fit before the sides go together, other than that, the rest is good to go.

Still to ad to the footplate etch (there's plenty of space so might as well use it) are front dampers and linkages grate linkages, drain cock linkages and shaft fittings and anything else I can think of and cram in.

Cab is virtually done, just finished the windows (rear one sliding, I know both do but the front is nearly always shut so it's fixed) and glazing recesses, also finished the firemans cylinder drain cock lever and bracket and need to add the same for the drivers side sanding lever gubbins. I need to run off a test cab roof on some scrap etch (print and paste) to check it forms up ok and then some final checks on the front V sheeting to make sure it all matches the body. Oh, nearly forgot, cab doors and roof mounted plate work for gauges with associated slots and fixings.

Image2.jpg

Drain cock lever, support bracket and Bowden cable sheave, I'll leave you to add the Bowden cable sockets (0.6 mm tube 1.2 mm long) in the required place ;) you may wish to also add the cable and pipe run, I will on mine as it is clearly visible in that corner of the cab :cool:

There will be a drain cock Bowden cable sheave and fixing at the front end inside the frames and under the middle cylinder, up to builders if they want to add it or not, but it'll be there if they do. Cross shafts are 0.7 mm in dia and the linkage hangs down below the frame arch for the rear bogie wheel so it might all be a limiting factor for those who require a tighter radius of operation.

Mick D

Last edited:

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
...so I decided to do the Stanier tender. The build was quite straightforward, no horror stories in the kit just a steady build. I added some extras from the detailing etches I had done by D Andrews, and some further detail I did myself.

20160505_130109_zpskrhs11gc.jpg

20160516_163351_zpskx27pvgu.jpg

A look at the drawing in the Wild Swan book on Princesses revealed a bit of good fortune. The tender chassis has extra beams running from front to rear parallel to the outside frames. The lucky thing is that they are in nearly the same place as the dummy inner chassis frames and they are the same height. I thought I would take the opportunity to add some underframe detail as I'd never done it before.

20160514_183920_zpsqiggfcdq.jpg

20160514_183955_zpsvkzxcvol.jpg

20160514_184419_zpseybfamwb.jpg

These are all the structures that support the water tank (I added a tank floor and well) and the brackets for the waterscoop mechanism. I also modelled the drag box that exists behind the rear buffer beam.

20160516_162209_zpsnp5zobrf.jpg

Front drag box next......

mickoo

Western Thunderer
That looks nice :thumbs:

I'm going to give the W1 cab and footplate etches one last quality check tonight before sending to PPD tomorrow, once back there's a few bits I need to check for fitment and then I can order your production ones, hopefully ready for hand delivery at Doncaster, but it'll be close!

MD

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
A few more additions to the underframe of my Stanier Turbomotive. It now has all the structures that support the bottom of the water tank, and the drag boxes front and rear. The water scoop and associated gubbins are done and all the plumbing for the water feed from the tank well, the vacuum brake and steam heating are now in place.

20160607_202330_zpsq6sysmhc.jpg

20160607_202338_zpsrf7xmyms.jpg

20160607_202352_zps68eerjkp.jpg

20160607_202404_zps4b0zh1ym.jpg

20160607_202413_zpsrajfadg8.jpg

20160607_202418_zps53wqzimc.jpg

20160607_202425_zpsezjwy0yi.jpg

Brake rigging to complete next.....