Nigel's workbench.

Nigel Smith

Western Thunderer
I built this loco quite a few years ago using an Acorn kit as the basis. I used the footplate cab and frames from the original kit and then added a Warren Sheppard boiler, firebox and smokebox. All of the white metal castings were scrapped and replaced with brass castings from various suppliers. The tender etches were quite good so these were built, but all the castings were replaced using ones from JLTRT. The model was painted by Ian Rathbone and then weathered by Neil Podbery.
I like to have some of my stock weathered by others as it gives variety, we all have slightly different techniques and finishes. I think the finish on this one is just right.
Modified Hall 2.jpg Modified Hall.jpg

Nigel Smith

Western Thunderer
Looking back through some of my builds I thought these could be of interest. 842 was built from a Slaters' kit by me then painted by Ian Rathbone. It came up rather nicely I thought. There were a few issues getting the wheels to fit into the footplate so I reduced the width of the tyres rather than increasing the width of the splashers.

842.jpg

Nigel Smith

Western Thunderer
64A was a much tougher proposition. I built it from a Shedmaster kit - really hard work as they were very basic etches. In the end I only used the footplate on the loco, everything else was scratch built. To add to the complexity I fitted full working inside valve gear. Again I was very pleased with the result, but this one is definitely not for beginners. Painted by Ian Rathbone.

MR64A-1w.jpg

Nigel Smith

Western Thunderer
This little LNWR tank loco I built from the Mercian kit. I strengthened the chassis quite a bit as I had a set of Alan Harris wheels and crank axle for it. So, I fitted full inside valve gear to fill the gap under the boiler. Much improved dome and chimney replaced the ones in the kit. Once more Ian R painted this one for me.

IMG_5134.jpg