Old Parrock

PaulR

Western Thunderer
For reasons that will become apparent in due course, this lovely layout appears to have exerted no small influence on plans for future sheep produced layouts........

Rob.
Now that sounds exciting Rob, and I feel honoured of course!

Paul

PaulR

Western Thunderer
There are no pictures to show here, but just to say that I've recently converted Old Parrock to DCC. I've bought a NCE Starter Pack which seems perfect for the job. Electrically the conversion was straightforward. I beefed up the main circuit a bit and fitted the little control panel on the front. It all went very smoothly. I've decided to have sound as well so converting my five locos is having to happen at 'saving up' intervals.

My reason for doing this was that I just wasn't achieving the smooth starts and stops that I crave. There's no doubt that it is a lot better with DCC. The first loco I converted, the Bachmann SECR C Class runs astonishingly well with DCC - such fun to play with.

Now to the Rails of Sheffield Dapol terriers. They're an absolute pain! So far I've worked on one of them. In order to get the running up to scratch I had to add my own supplementary pick ups, which I achieved on two sets of wheels, and open out the coupling rods (not too much luckily) which suggests poor quartering. The centre wheels still lurch. Getting the decoder and speaker in place was extremely difficult and hazardous. To anyone else attempting this, it's vital that the speaker connections are completely insulated because if you just put the body on without precautions they short against the motor frame, which I found out to my cost. I painted the connections with shellac and also covered them with kapton tape. Unfortunately I couldn't fit a stay alive capacitor so there is still the possibility of the occasional sudden stop (which I hate with a vengeance!).

More anon.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
There are no pictures to show here, but just to say that I've recently converted Old Parrock to DCC. I've bought a NCE Starter Pack which seems perfect for the job. Electrically the conversion was straightforward. I beefed up the main circuit a bit and fitted the little control panel on the front. It all went very smoothly. I've decided to have sound as well so converting my five locos is having to happen at 'saving up' intervals.

My reason for doing this was that I just wasn't achieving the smooth starts and stops that I crave. There's no doubt that it is a lot better with DCC. The first loco I converted, the Bachmann SECR C Class runs astonishingly well with DCC - such fun to play with.

Now to the Rails of Sheffield Dapol terriers. They're an absolute pain! So far I've worked on one of them. In order to get the running up to scratch I had to add my own supplementary pick ups, which I achieved on two sets of wheels, and open out the coupling rods (not too much luckily) which suggests poor quartering. The centre wheels still lurch. Getting the decoder and speaker in place was extremely difficult and hazardous. To anyone else attempting this, it's vital that the speaker connections are completely insulated because if you just put the body on without precautions they short against the motor frame, which I found out to my cost. I painted the connections with shellac and also covered them with kapton tape. Unfortunately I couldn't fit a stay alive capacitor so there is still the possibility of the occasional sudden stop (which I hate with a vengeance!).

More anon.

Morning Paul.

Interesting observations regarding the Terriers. I have three which may well be going the DCC route in due course, though not sound at this stage.

I also use a NCE powercab and find it really user friendly. Most important for this non-tech sheep.

Returning to the Terriers, one thing I noticed is the flappy-aboutness of the DCC board which I noted can press down on the centre drivers. I put a slight arched relief on the bottom edge of the board which has provided improved clearance.

I also agree regarding the speaker and in addition, I think the metal casting over the gears is questionable. I do believe that if this is not positioned correctly (difficult as there is no apparent way of positively locating it other than a pin) it will also adversly affect the slow running /halting of these locos.

All in all, innards of these locos seem poorly thought out.

Rob.

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

Absolutely! Getting the body on without dislodging the decoder took huge patience and a lot of careful fiddling. In the end I packed behind it so that it didn't fold back and pop out of the connection (I say 'I', but actually my wife Helen helped me in the end to soothe my frustrations!). I've heard that Next 18 decoders have a tendency to dislodge easily.

I actually tried to send it off to two professional DCC fitters and both refused to handle Dapol terriers. Both said they are impossible to work with and one railed about the pick up method, which had also been frustrating me because they keep stopping for no apparent reason.

One of my terriers now has supplementary pick ups. I took the keeper plate off and drilled small holes in it. I then soldered wire onto the pickup leads underneath and fed them through - and replaced the keeper plate. Using short lengths of copper clad sleepers I was able to add extra pickups on the front and centre wheels which can't be seen. It runs better, but is not perfect.

I have a Hornby terrier which also needs a decoder and speaker, I'm hoping for better things with that one.

All best,

Paul

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul.

Further to our earlier observations, I've now have a few more courtesy of Dapol's Isle of Wight bunkered 32650.

Of the three I acquired from Dapol this was the one with the worst running characteristics that I decided to keep. After a few exchanges of poor running/damaged/assembled poorly locos it was a case of accept this or do without. Dapol set out their position in email. Take it or leave it !

Anyhow, I've been pottering this afternoon in the Room of Doom and pulled out 32650.

As luck would have it, I had a spare decoder, Bachmann/zimo as it happens. I popped it in and gave the little chap a run.

Good lord ! What a transformation! Much smoother and very, very creepy crawly. And that settles that. The Terriers will be certainly be DCC'd.

No all I've got to do is hold everything whilst I replace the body, including that flippin' speaker......!

Rob.

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul.

Further to our earlier observations, I've now have a few more courtesy of Dapol's Isle of Wight bunkered 32650.

Of the three I acquired from Dapol this was the one with the worst running characteristics that I decided to keep. After a few exchanges of poor running/damaged/assembled poorly locos it was a case of accept this or do without. Dapol set out their position in email. Take it or leave it !

Anyhow, I've been pottering this afternoon in the Room of Doom and pulled out 32650.

As luck would have it, I had a spare decoder, Bachmann/zimo as it happens. I popped it in and gave the little chap a run.

Good lord ! What a transformation! Much smoother and very, very creepy crawly. And that settles that. The Terriers will be certainly be DCC'd.

No all I've got to do is hold everything whilst I replace the body, including that flippin' speaker......!

Rob.
Hi Rob,

That's great news and thanks for letting me know. I have managed to fit one of my two Dapol terriers with a Zimo decoder and it is much better. The new generation of Zimo decoders has a small amount of 'stay alive' and I'm going to try one of those in the other one, and also supplement the pick ups. The stay alive is only momentary apparently, a second or two I'll let you know how I get on, which will be in the next fortnight - they're not cheap so I have to save up for them. If that is a further improvement I'll save up and put the new generation in both.

Old Parrock has it's first 'actual' exhibition in October and I really want it running as well as I can manage. I saw that you've been out exhibiting and enjoying it - and getting a great response. Hopefully we'll meet up in person one of these days!

Paul

adrianmc

Old Parrock has it's first 'actual' exhibition in October and I really want it running as well as I can manage. I saw that you've been out exhibiting and enjoying it - and getting a great response. Hopefully we'll meet up in person one of these days!

Looking forward to seeing the layout at Uckfield.

Adrian

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning,

Well Paul, the C class is stunning. Thank you once again. Given the pre-grouping direction I find myself heading in, naturally, I'm drawn back to this lovely layout.
So, off to post one and to starting working my way through what I know will be an inspiring read.

Rob.

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Thank you Rob, and I'm really pleased. Those two locos look stunning together on your thread. No doubt you'll be going for one of the gorgeous Rapido SECR brake vans as well. I've got one on order for Old Parrock.

I've got some loco weathering to do before Uckfield and THAT is something I find daunting - and you're the master!

AJC

Western Thunderer
Thank you Rob, and I'm really pleased. Those two locos look stunning together on your thread. No doubt you'll be going for one of the gorgeous Rapido SECR brake vans as well. I've got one on order for Old Parrock.

I've got some loco weathering to do before Uckfield and THAT is something I find daunting - and you're the master!

Hopefully I’ll manage to get to Uckfield…

Adam

NHY 581

Western Thunderer

Hi Paul, you're far too kind. Hardly a master. I am really torn regarding weathering these locos. The rendition of this beautiful livery from both Bachmann and Hornby is something to behold. Therefore, I'm not rushing into weathering any of the stock. Clearly my usual approach needs looking at and restraint is the order of the day.

Yes, the Rapido brake vans are on order and this includes the exclusive Rails job.
Also awaited is a rake of six wheeler coaches from Hattons.

Wagons are in hand. Sadly, as far as I am aware, the SECR wagons from Rapido are too late for the Full Monty livery but okay for the SECR grey loco livery. However, I won't need many wagons so a couple from a few of the pre-grouping companies will do it. Kits it will be with the exception of the GWR opens and ventilated vans from Rapido. ( Need to check to build date on the G.E van from Oxford )

The game's afoot. I'm hoping to emulate your success in showing that a realistic pre-grouping layout can be created from predominantly ready to run components though I will be more reliant on resin building as opposed to your excellent builds.

Rob

Last edited:

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Which locos do you have in austerity livery. I recently acquired this. It looks great and runs like a dream.

image.jpg

PaulR

Western Thunderer
I completely understand your comment about weathering pre-grouping locos. They definitely benefit from it, but it needs great subtlety - which is why I'm hesitating.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Which locos do you have in austerity livery. I recently acquired this. It looks great and runs like a dream.

View attachment 171195

Hi Paul,

I also have that and a C class. I'm considering getting a Southern H class to repaint but that can wait for now.

I also have a D1 0.4.2T and LSWR 0330ST, both in Southern livery but they will be moving on now that I'm going SE&CR.

Rob.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Hello Paul
I have spent the last few hours, well more than a few reading through your wonderful build thread. I shall watch the Jupiter Junction later with my grand children on the big TV. a small screen start on my own was lovely but I need to watch it with them. Your rational and build details kept me wanting to see what was going to happen next. lovely work on the various details it is difficult to come to terms with the fact that all this works in such a small footprint. I agree with Rob regarding the rails for the fiddle yards, a brilliant idea. I don't think I have ever had to restrain myself so much from pressing the like button or of wanting to replay to something that was quite some time back. But Simon's comment captures my feelings today perfectly and as a companion to the delight I have had today so far going through your layout construction, had to share some of the later pictures with Judy on the big TV.

I think Old Parrock is a perfect example of one of the things I most love about our hobby, the way in which a model or scene can transport us as viewers completely into another place and time. I think when this is achieved in a small space or canvass, as you have here, then the effect is somehow even more magical.

Thanks for all the work telling us about the place.

Michael

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Hello Paul
I have spent the last few hours, well more than a few reading through your wonderful build thread. I shall watch the Jupiter Junction later with my grand children on the big TV. a small screen start on my own was lovely but I need to watch it with them. Your rational and build details kept me wanting to see what was going to happen next. lovely work on the various details it is difficult to come to terms with the fact that all this works in such a small footprint. I agree with Rob regarding the rails for the fiddle yards, a brilliant idea. I don't think I have ever had to restrain myself so much from pressing the like button or of wanting to replay to something that was quite some time back. But Simon's comment captures my feelings today perfectly and as a companion to the delight I have had today so far going through your layout construction, had to share some of the later pictures with Judy on the big TV.

Thanks for all the work telling us about the place.

Michael
Thank you so much for your very kind comment Michael. I hope your grandchildren enjoy Juniper Junction.

As to Old Parrock, I have spent an extraordinary amount of time on what is really just a piece of wood the length of an ironing board. Building the layout has mostly been hugely pleasurable though and the research element has taken me down some interesting routes, learning about trees, landscape, architecture and agriculture apart from railways - that's the joy of this hobby. The have been more times than I'll admit to, when I've gone to bed at night and thought, 'No, that was no good, it needs stripping out tomorrow and doing better.'

Covid intervened in a big way as Old Parrock is only now facing it's first live show - and here's a confession, I've never exhibited a layout before. I worked out that, apart from the usual break to raise a family, I've been railway modelling for 46 years yet I'm still a novice how did that happen!

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Sadly, I can't make the Uckfield show. There are some lovely layouts there which I would really like to see 'in the flesh' so to speak, Old Parrock being one of them.

Rob.