Prototype PhilH's Industrial Railway Photos

simond

Western Thunderer
Apropos Phil’s photos, I have two questions:

why was the water tank built like a submarine? This seems to be an expensive approach for a non-pressure vessel. Was it repurposed?

why do the Andrew Barclay locos have the driven axle so close to the firebox? Presuming they have eccentrics on that axle, this seems to be a recipe for wear, and to cramp the ashpan, etc.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Can’t answer for the axle placement on the Barclay, but the water tank is an egg-ended boiler in origin. I don’t know whether the ‘conning tower’ is an alteration or part of the thing.

Adam

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Redundant boilers were often used as water tanks on industrial railways in Scotland and elsewhere. An early form of recycling!
On the Dalmellington Iron Co system there was at least two that I remember, one lasted until closure at Minnivey, the half way point on the line to Pennyvenie, and more convenient for crews than the tank at Waterside.

Reactions: AJC

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
why was the water tank built like a submarine? This seems to be an expensive approach for a non-pressure vessel. Was it repurposed?
Hi Simon,

don't forget that you had one close to home in your youth at Bidston, in his book on the Wirral Railway, T B Maund describes it as "a distinctive sausage shaped water tank, constructed from an old boiler, mounted on brick piers" it had two' conning towers' and had a ladder access at one end with handrails either side of the conning towers for almost the full length of the tank. It must have been replaced by a 'conventional' flat ended, version at some stage as there is a photo of Bidston shed with 9F 92046 standing next to it dated 22nd March 1957.

Stay safe and well.

regards

Mike

PhilH

Western Thunderer
In addition to the two locos already noted, the following were also at Polkemmet since 1969.

21. 10914B © PGH.jpg

No.16 0-6-0T Hudswell Clarke 1331 of 1918, acquired by the NCB from Wm.Dixon Ltd. with the colliery on Nationalisation on 1/1/1947.
It looked very much out of use when photographed in September 1969 but was transferred to Killoch Colliery two months later and scrapped there in April 1970.

22. 10911B © PGH.jpg

No.15 0-4-2ST Grant Ritchie 539 of 1917, here since Nationalisation. In 1970 the boiler was fitted to Andrew Barclay 1829 (which see) and the chassis scrapped in July 1973

23. 10912B © PGH.jpg

No.8 0-6-0ST Andrew Barclay 885 of 1900, the third of the three locos here at Nationalisation. It was sold to the Cambrian Railway Preservation Society, Oswestry, circa November 1977

24. 16022 © PGH.jpg

No.22 0-4-0ST Andrew Barclay 1007 of 1904, arrived here about December 1965 after several colliery transfers. It was scrapped on site in July 1973

25. 18529B © PGH.jpg

No.25 0-6-0ST Andrew Barclay 2358 of 1954, supplied new to the NCB at Niddrie Railways which served various collieries and it arrived at Polkemmet about December 1972. It was sold to the Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group, Dalmellington in August 1981.

26. 24924B © PGH.jpg

No.17 0-6-0ST Hunslet 2880 of 1943, originally supplied to the War Department it was purchased by the NCB from dealer E.C.Steele Ltd. of Hamilton circa February 1961. It was sold to the Bo'ness & Kinneil Rly. in August 1986.

27. 10913B © PGH.jpg

No.12 0-6-0ST Andrew Barclay 1829 of 1924, arrived at Polkemmet in March 1965.

28. 18620B © PGH.jpg

In 1970 it was rebuilt with the boiler and saddletank off Grant Richie 539. In June 1979 I found it dumped off the track minus wheels and I was told it was intended to use these on the similar loco Andrew Barclay 2358, but I don't know if this was ever carried out. It was scrapped on site about January 1987.

Last edited:

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Apropos Phil’s photos, I have two questions:

why do the Andrew Barclay locos have the driven axle so close to the firebox? Presuming they have eccentrics on that axle, this seems to be a recipe for wear, and to cramp the ashpan, etc.

I think AB 1175 is unusual and my guess is that the customer wanted an 0-6-0 that would go round sharper curves than Barclay's standard 0-6-0 designs, and the easiest way of achieving that would be to use one of their existing 0-6-0 designs and merely move the rear axle forward. The centre (driven) axle is roughly where it would be on their usual 0-6-0s and 0-4-0s.

As for the use of redundant boilers and pressure vessels, from the foregoing you'll note that the NCB had a policy of 'make do and mend', so redundant boilers which had passed their useful lives as pressure vessels were frequently used as loco water tanks.

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks to all for the replies. The “submarine” certainly appears to be designed as a pressure vessel, so it being a repurposed boiler makes perfect sense. I wasn’t aware of the Bidston one, Mike!

and it hadn’t occurred to me that it was the rear axle being too far forwards, rather than the middle axle being too far back on the AB, not familiar with them at all. Thanks for the insight.

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Just been looking up other examples of egg-ended water tanks and found a few. No doubt many of these were used as boilers or economisers and made redundant when steam plant, such as winders and compressors, were converted to electric.

100B15B © PGH.jpg

Astley Green - on brick supports

12210B © PGH.jpg

Littleton - on the loco shed roof !

14918B © PGH.jpg

Bedlay - on steel frame support

15206B © PGH.jpg

Netherton - on steel frame support

15827B © PGH.jpg

Bickershaw - ex Lancashire Boiler on steel frame support

FRANCIS outside shed B.jpg

and somebody has actually made a model of one :) ;)

Last edited:

PhilH

Western Thunderer
In June 1979 I spent two days at Polkemmet recording the operation on cine film. At the end of the second day I went up to Polkemmet Moor where the BR line from the colliery to Fauldhouse, crosses a minor road by an ungated crossing to hopefully catch a loaded BR train leaving. I didn't have to wait long before I could hear a 37 climbing the gradient up from the colliery, so I set up my cine camera about 200 yards or so from the crossing. When the loco appeared I started filming but to my surprise the train didn't stop or even slow for the crossing, although the area then was completely open with good visibility for perhaps about 1/4 mile in each direction. After the train left the crossing I noticed dust appearing between the wagons, which I thought seemed rather odd but then realised that part of the train was off the track and the derailed wagons were literally bouncing up and down before the train came to a standstill.

I then wondered what to do next ?, obviously a closer look was called for, but how would the crew react to someone with a camera, especially if they knew the incident had been filmed - I'm sure the way they crossed the road was not 'by the book'. However the problem was soon resolved as they uncoupled the first two wagons from the remainder of the train and disappeared over the hill. The closer view was recorded partly on cine film and in the photos below, with the wagons still in line but some now sitting on the ballast instead of on the track.

CS001B © PGH.jpg

Excuse the quality of this one, but its from a small area of the colour slide. Just after the derailment the first two wagons have been uncoupled and the loco is departing. Note in the siding on the horizon to the right are 4 flat wagons loaded with track panels between two brakevans.
I don't know whether they were parked here for relaying on this line or for somewhere else, but they will certainly be needed here now !

CS002B © PGH.jpg

View from the level crossing showing some minor damage to sleepers and broken chairs in the foreground

CS003B © PGH.jpg

The wagons from the front end of the train - the first 4 more or less still on the track, the following 7 on the ballast

CS004B © PGH.jpg

This shows the badly buckled bullhead rail​

The accident happened on the 13th June and there were 13 wagons in the train ! :rolleyes:

PhilH

Western Thunderer
In contrast to Polkemmet and to dispel the myth amongst some that industrial locomotives were always filthy, these are some more examples of Scottish NCB locos in rather better external condition. All were photographed on "unofficial" visits so nothing was polished up for a special occasion.

12933B © PGH.jpg

No. 7 Grant Ritchie works no.536 of 1914 at Lady Victoria Colliery, Prestongrange in July 1970. It had just finished work for the day but was still in immaculate condition. I'm always sorry I didn't get a colour photo at the same time. Grant Ritchie built a total of six of these 0‑4‑2STs which were basically an 0-4-0ST with the addition of trailing wheels and a bunker behind the cab, works no.539 was shown in an earlier post at Polkemmet. Andrew Barclay built two similar locos. Two of the Grant Ritchie locos, works nos.536 and 527, and the two Andrew Barclay locos were supplied new to the Lothian Coal Co. Ltd. and spent their working lives at Lady Victoria. No.7 is preserved at the site, which is now the Scottish Mining Museum, but I'm not sure if its on public display. One of the Andrew Barclay locos, works no.1193, is preserved at the Tanfield Railway but is as yet unrestored and missing the trailing wheels.

Bedlay 101B © PGH.jpg

No.9 Hudswell Clarke works no.895 of 1909 at Bedlay Colliery in July 1976. Its now on static display at the Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life, Coatbridge.

Dunaskin 120B © PGH.jpg

No.24 Andrew Barclay works no.2335 of 1954 supplied new to the NCB's Waterside System at Dunaskin and photographed there in June 1976. Locos at Waterside usually ran coupled to an end door wagon with the door removed as a tender. It was fitted with a Giesl Ejector in 1965 prior to which it had been a very poor steamer. Its now owned by the National Museum of Scotland and on static display at the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway.

Kinniel 107B © PGH.jpg

No.6 Andrew Barclay works no.2043 of 1937 at Kinneil Colliery, Bo'ness in July 1976. Its now preserved on the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway.

PhilH

Western Thunderer
The Whifflet Works of R.B.Tennant Ltd. in Coatbridge was a foundry making rolls used in the steel industry and other products, and was founded by Robert Tennant in 1857. It was situated on the east side of the former Monkland & Kirkintilloch, later NBR/LMS/BR line near Whifflet Station, with connections to the main line at Whifflet Junction. It was at one time the largest supplier of rolls for the steel industry in the UK, but due to the decline of the steel industry the works closed in 1995. The site is now occupied by a DIY store and car park. The works was a late user of industrial steam locos and ran fleet of 4 Sentinel steam locos until 1984, when they were replaced by two secondhand Sentinel 4wDHs. All four Sentinel steam locos have since been preserved.

I visited the works in June 1974 with no prior arrangement and asked at the front gate "can I see your steam locos", the answer was "yes" and I was then allowed to wander round the works unaccompanied ! Hard to believe in these days of health & safety, security, etc. The four locos were named ROBIN, JOHN, DENIS and RANALD. ROBIN and DENIS were working on the day of the visit.

1. 18418B © PGH.jpg

ROBIN Sentinel works no.9628 supplied new to Tennants in 1957. It is in remarkably clean condition considering its working in a foundry.
It was donated by the company to Monkland District council in 1985 and is now on display at the Summerlee Industrial Heritage Park in Coatbridge.

2. 18428B © PGH.jpg

3. 18431B © PGH.jpg

ROBIN brings a completed roll out of the works

4. 18419B © PGH.jpg

DENIS Sentinel works no.9631 of 1958, obtained secondhand by Tennants in 1963. Its now awaiting restoration by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society at the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway.

5. 18427B © PGH.jpg

Detail of axlebox and spring on DENIS

6. 18430B © PGH.jpg

DENIS with an internal use four wheel flat wagon​

Of the other two locos - RANALD (Sentinel 9627/57) was inside the works under repair and JOHN (Sentinel 9561/53) was out of use with some parts cannibalised to repair other locos, but was due for repair. Both these locos are now also at the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway with JOHN currently under restoration.

7. 18417B © PGH.jpg

8. 18424B © PGH.jpg

Examples of internal use bogie flat wagons. The adjacent BR line is just over the fence in the bottom photo.​

The locos also work a private line to the company's Meadow Works about ¼ mile away, where finished goods are despatched.

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Industrial railways come in all forms, from the likes of major systems such as the Lambton Railway with a double track fully signalled standard gauge line worked by large 0-6-2T locos to the most basic narrow gauge system with one or two diesel locos on a few yards of track, such as this......

1. 31706B © PGH.jpg

At Croxden Gravel Ltd., Irlam Peat Works a Lister 4wDM loco (works no.51651 of 1960) returns from the 'wilds' of the moss to the mill with a loaded train of peat in July 1980

2. 31703B © PGH.jpg

Also working that day was this 4wDM supplied new by Alan Keef Ltd in 1979

3. 31704B © PGH.jpg

The Keef loco on a partially loaded train with cut peat waiting to be loaded in the foreground

4. 31629B © PGH.jpg

The wagons were standard skip wagon frames with home made bodies

5. 31627B © PGH.jpg

At the mill area the loaded wagons were winched up a ramp to a tippler

6. 31627BB © PGH.jpg

A close up of the tippler shows the two arms that were closed together to grip the wagon's axles and clamp it to the tippler table

7. 31628B © PGH.jpg

and the wagon is tipped, the peat being removed by a front end loading shovel to the mill for processing.​

You might wonder what's coming next - you may be surprised ! :rolleyes:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Phil, as always I trip over these postings by accident and really wished I saw them from the beginning. How anyone can say that industrial railways do not interest them I do not know. Nearly all railways started off as industrial in some form or other.

I look forward to seeing more and thank you for these postings.

Julian

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Its nice to see that there seems to be an interest in the more rudimentary forms of industrial railway as well as the standard gauge and it would be very gratifying if amongst all these photos there might be the odd one that provides some modelling inspiration. However I'm not sure the latter would apply to the following photos which may be a little too far away ?

1. SAR 151B © PGH.jpg

City Deep Gold Mine No.2 on the trestle leading to the mill ore chute and I would assume from the smoke that its descending with the empties. This is North British Loco Co. works no.24245 of 1935 and a similar 4‑8‑2T loco - No.3 - was also seen working. A further two North British locos but with a 4‑8‑4T wheel arrangement were out of use in the loco shed. The rail system was used to bring ore from several shafts to a central mill for processing and from what I can recall (bear in mind its nearly 50 years ago - Crikey that makes you feel old !!!!) City Deep was in the outskirts on the east side of Johannesburg. These photos were taken on a solo 3 week trip to South Africa in September 1973, divided roughly equally between main line steam, narrow gauge and industrial.

2. SAR 152B © PGH.jpg

No.2 crossing a six lane highway with no gates, barriers, lights or flagman - just ease slowly across and hope the traffic stops !

3. SAR 153B © PGH.jpg

Like it says on the loco - East Daggafontein Mines Ltd. No.3, a rather neat 4-8-2T. I followed the loco into the mine compound and was told by the rather unfriendly driver to B***** off, or words to that effect, so I went to the office where I received a more friendly welcome and permission to take any photos I wished. I think the loco was ex South African Railways (SAR) but I couldn't find a makers plate or any details on the loco itself. According to a fitter it had been acquired from another mining concern about 6-7 years ago. No.2 a 4-6-4T was under repair in the loco shed having just had its wheels re-tyred.

4. 17128B © PGH.jpg

Grootvlei Proprietary Mines Ltd. No.2 on a miners train. Another two similar locos - Nos. 1 and 3 - were out of use in the loco shed. According to a list given to me in the mine office all three were formerly SAR Nos. 133, 183 and 185, originally Natal Government Railways, and built by the North British Loco Co. They would have been Natal Government Railways Class D, later SAR Class A, and actually built by Dubs & Co. predecessors to North British Loco Co. with a total of 100 being delivered in batches from 1888 to 1899. Apparently these were the first locos in the world to be built with the 4-8-2 wheel arrangement. One of these Class A locos ex SAR 196 has been returned to the UK and is on static display at the Mizens Miniature Railway, Woking.

5. SAR 159B © PGH.jpg

A panned shot - obviously travelling at speed !

6. 17134B © PGH.jpg

Also at Grootvlei was this interesting bit of 'kit', two 3'-6" gauge flat cars with two sets of rail for carrying 2'-0" gauge mine tubs. No doubt used when the tubs are sent to a central workshops for repair. The tub on the extreme right with the raised frame at one end would be used for carrying drill steels.

7. 17135B © PGH.jpg

The tubs were moved on and off the flats with a hinged section of track and turntables.