4mm Podimore: constructing a scene

AJC

Western Thunderer
Turning back to the field barn, which has gone nowhere for a year or so, I’ve added the coping stones to the gables. I wasn’t quite sure what these were meant to look like, but Google Streetview is our friend here. So the model looks like this:

A0EC2CEF-DF92-4C52-A5FB-19170543925E.jpeg

And the real thing looks like this - wedge-shaped slabs with cut outs at the lower ends. In reality from Hamstone (the local limestone), on the model from 40 thou':

Montacute_rooves.jpg

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Nothing much happening on the layout, but as a good intention, a proper loco for Podimore and the Ilchester branch. I admit to being a bit short in this department: as a branch that would logically have been provided for from Yeovil - the railway situation in this bit of boundary country between the South Western and the GWR threw up some quite odd operational arrangements - I had a quandary.

Basically, the Southern lacked suitable locos! ‘Town had an allocation which allowed for operating the Yeovil locals (motor-fitted Brighton D1s, LSWR O2s and M7s, and latterly GWR 54xx, 64xx and 14xx, but only enough for that!), and secondary services on the mainline. Since I’m modelling the period after the Southern gained ‘Pen Mill shed’s allocation my Southern branch would have been subject, like Chard, to panniers, and probably not much else. It’s convenient that Plymouth Friary’s 30225 (which I’ve modelled, long since) spent a fair bit of time in store, but plausible, it’s not. Sorry @Pencarrow.

I do have something suitable though, and have for 20 years. Enter what is, as of half an hour ago, Yeovil’s 4656, formerly of Laira, acquired for £25 nearly a generation ago. Reworked Bachmann, new crests, plates (from Railtec), and due a touch up with a relocation of the headlamp from branch work, she’s now available for the Ilchester goods. There really ought to be a second pannier, of course, but that's a future project.

E86228C5-380F-4E49-9215-C231A4FA75BD.jpeg

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Not a lot of progress recently, but I have weathered 4656 and moved its lamps about for branch goods duties. While the dairy board was up in the house to complete the process of adding droppers, I’ve posed it doing something representative: shunting the kickback siding that passes for Podimore’s yard. Obviously one of these pictures reveals that there’s an innate compromise with having lamps on each end of the loco.

IMG_7125.jpeg

IMG_7123.jpeg

Coming on.

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
I’ve been fettling roof details on the dairy intake building and the adjoining representation of part of the processing plant. Some of this is simple enough, a start on the down pipes, guttering and flashing. The guttering is a strip of 60 thou’ rounded along the front edge - must add the brackets - with a few Modelu components (more needed!).

IMG_7376.jpeg

More complex are the trimmings for the asbestos roof (Will’s - yes, I know that it’s a bit overscale, even for the larger pitched types, but not unacceptably so for the latter).

IMG_7375.jpeg

The angled edging is just one way of doing the edge of such a roof, but it’s what the real building at Glynde has. It’s just a bit of thick foil flattened and folded into an ‘L’.

The ridging took a bit of thought since it’s cast to shape. You can see the prototype in the picture above. This is pressed from foil in a simple tool made of a few scraps of 40 thou’.

IMG_7377.jpeg

It’s a groove to take a length of 1mm rod, pressed home with a small engineers square. It’s taken a couple of goes but the result is more than acceptable. Next I need to make something a little more sophisticated to produce Bridgwater double roman tiles which are utterly ubiquitous in this part of Somerset.

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
If you didn't want to make up a jig for the Bridgwater double roman tiles have a look at the Redutex texture sheets as the have a range of tile types in various scales.

The one labeled Mechanical Tile may be the one you're looking for.

Yes, I've seen those - the Castellana is the right style, but alas, noticeably too small which is a great shame. Perfect for the Italian side project though!

Adam

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
I don't know if this is any help? From the excellent MRJ Index on here.

Pantiles for Pendon​

Malcolm Smith

Issue 47 (1991) p.131 4mm
Malcolm Smith rises to a challenge presented by Pendon Museum - 4mm scale pantiles of the 'double Roman' variety.

There are several others too

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
I don't know if this is any help? From the excellent MRJ Index on here.

Pantiles for Pendon​

Malcolm Smith

Issue 47 (1991) p.131 4mm
Malcolm Smith rises to a challenge presented by Pendon Museum - 4mm scale pantiles of the 'double Roman' variety.

There are several others too

That's precisely the article I have in mind - the author milled something out of Tufnol, I think. I'll be doing things with plastic sheet and strip because I have limited time and equipment! Mercifully I only have a small roof to do, even a normal Yeovil UDC/RDC council house would be a trial...

Adam

Jon Gwinnett

Western Thunderer
Probably overscale but Hobbycraft used to stock coloured card with a small section corrugated inner layer - it’s relatively easy to peel the outer coloured layer off, whereupon it might prove a suitable source of corrugations in a rather smaller wavelength /height than normal corrugated card?

ullypug

Western Thunderer
I’ve been fettling roof details on the dairy intake building and the adjoining representation of part of the processing plant. Some of this is simple enough, a start on the down pipes, guttering and flashing. The guttering is a strip of 60 thou’ rounded along the front edge - must add the brackets - with a few Modelu components (more needed!).

View attachment 219045

More complex are the trimmings for the asbestos roof (Will’s - yes, I know that it’s a bit overscale, even for the larger pitched types, but not unacceptably so for the latter).

View attachment 219044

The angled edging is just one way of doing the edge of such a roof, but it’s what the real building at Glynde has. It’s just a bit of thick foil flattened and folded into an ‘L’.

The ridging took a bit of thought since it’s cast to shape. You can see the prototype in the picture above. This is pressed from foil in a simple tool made of a few scraps of 40 thou’.

View attachment 219046

It’s a groove to take a length of 1mm rod, pressed home with a small engineers square. It’s taken a couple of goes but the result is more than acceptable. Next I need to make something a little more sophisticated to produce Bridgwater double roman tiles which are utterly ubiquitous in this part of Somerset.

Adam
I managed to find a supplier on eBay for an acceptable double Roman tile. Came from China. I’ve used them on both the goods shed and train shed roofs at Cheddar. They may be a bit on the large size but there was no way on earth I was going to make them by hand!

AJC

Western Thunderer
Here we go:

IMG_7464.jpeg

The press tool, a little crude, a touch uneven. The same goes for the resulting roof. Happily, the original was (is!) a bit the worse for wear. There’s several reasons for that. First, the foil stretches a bit, and that’s impacted by the stresses the foil container has already been subjected to. Second, the press could be a better fit to the 0.7mm wire I’m using to form it. All that said, the result isn’t too bad, I think.

IMG_7463.jpeg

Adam