4mm Podimore: thoughts on operations

AJC

Western Thunderer
What about a special service for Navy personnel, passenger and/or freight?

Put a pannier on the railtour trio, job done! Truth be told, they'd probably bus personnel from Yeovil. Several pictures of Yeovil Town have Navy Bedford buses in the forecourt - Bedfords, I think they were. This sort of thing:

Freight is a different matter, I have a couple of opens marked down for crates of various kinds: does anyone know the sizes of '60s aero engines? There's also a stores van, numbered as an internal user, allocated to the end of the goods siding for additional small stores capacity.

Adam

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Adam,

IMG_1452.jpeg

Sorry to bang on about calf traffic but it required no special loading facilities, just out of the farmer’s truck, through the gate, into the float on the platform and into the horse box. The image was lifted from this blog, Crewkerne was not alone in sending calves in horse boxes, I think that Hornby offered a very nice horse box marked specifically for calf traffic AND my collection of images did contain a Bulleid at Crewkerne with the horsebox behind the tender. Dave Smith might be a source of either information about the float.

I forgot to mention that I have intimate experience of PSTO(N) logistics and horrible Bedford blue buses.

Tim

Reactions: AJC

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Put a pannier on the railtour trio, job done! Truth be told, they'd probably bus personnel from Yeovil. Several pictures of Yeovil Town have Navy Bedford buses in the forecourt - Bedfords, I think they were. This sort of thing:

Freight is a different matter, I have a couple of opens marked down for crates of various kinds: does anyone know the sizes of '60s aero engines?

I remember these Bedford buses in RAF blue we were stationed at RAF Brüggen back in the late 1960s.

A 1/76 whitemetal Bedford SB3 Strachan bodied coach was produced by BW Models. Some occassionally appear on well known t'interweb selling sites. In fact there's one on there now. BW MODELS 1/76 OO GAUGE 4MM BEDFORD SB3 39 SEATER COACH WHITE METAL KIT SEALED | eBay

It'd certainly be different from the usual corporation bus on bridge!

Western Thunderer
I've found that using an actual working timetable from the area being modelled can be all you need. For example looking at the FoD branch timetable in the 50's there were sixteen trains a day. If I ever get round to building this layout it will be all I need and is varied enough for me.

Obviously you can add or delete as required, but the bones of a real timetable are pretty useful.

For my Dublingham layout, pinching the Peter Denny timetable resulted in 15 trains per operating session. I generally get through three timetable cycles during a show, operating as fast or slow as I want and it's plenty of excitement.

Tony

AJC

Western Thunderer
I've found that using an actual working timetable from the area being modelled can be all you need. For example looking at the FoD branch timetable in the 50's there were sixteen trains a day. If I ever get round to building this layout it will be all I need and is varied enough for me.

Obviously you can add or delete as required, but the bones of a real timetable are pretty useful.

For my Dublingham layout, pinching the Peter Denny timetable resulted in 15 trains per operating session. I generally get through three timetable cycles during a show, operating as fast or slow as I want and it's plenty of excitement.

Tony

Yes, that’s good discipline. I have a vague idea how to tackle that (though perhaps not operator self control...). The obvious analogies would be Bridport/Portland (especially Portland because it's weird)/Abbotsbury and I think that ought to be possible.

Adam

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
My neighbour,back when I lived with parents in Bebington, flew these for the Forces, three of them appeared over his house one day, very low, circled a bit and continued onwards. No doubt he was waving