4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Things are moving along at quite a pace :thumbs:

Earlier in the year I bought a DeWalt multitool. Wish I'd bought one years ago. So useful.

View attachment 134465

I wanted a multi-tool for a while but like most tools I waited until I had a need for it before I bought one.
Kind of wonder how I managed before for so many things and it has paid me back so many times.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Things are moving along at quite a pace :thumbs:

I wanted a multi-tool for a while but like most tools I waited until I had a need for it before I bought one.
Kind of wonder how I managed before for so many things and it has paid me back so many times.

They are a fantastic tool for cutting, sanding and chiselling. Got a good variety of bits in the original set and have added other blades from eBay. Much more useful than a jigsaw - mine hasn't been used in years.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Decided it was time to come in out if the cold. Lots of weights (tubs with nails) left on the insulation foam (part of the stash of bits rescued from the skip when we had the extension built).

IMG_20201213_170004.jpg

Last job of the evening forming up the fascia side wings. The fascia top will just drop on but I've raised it s bit while the glue sets on the wings so it doesn't become a permanent feature!

IMG_20201213_165955.jpg

A bit of trimming to do when the glue is dry.

L Cut Creative signal box

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The other work that occurred over the weekend was to make a start on the signal box.

The raw material was this kit from LCut creative:

rps20201214_212830.jpg

Looked good in photos but the parts were very 'flat' and lacking relief, particularly the timber part. The base was also brick and I really wanted stone.

rps20201214_212931.jpg

The photo above of Nanstallon crossing box was the inspiration for the area on my layout. It did however show that the kit had boards above the windows and a shallower pitch to the roof. I was in two minds whether to crack on regardless but...

IMG_20201214_210930_1.jpg

IMG_20201214_210938.jpg

So I chopped the sides up to change the hand of the box - I wanted the steps and door near the road. Whilst doing that I also chopped the planking off above the windows and added another plank to the lower edge of the sides.

Still troubled by how flat the sides were I decided to add some plastic strip to bulk up the timber frame. Then a simple box was made for the base from the collection of Wills stone offcuts. All has now set and hardened.

Thoughts so far?

To be honest, a bit disappointed in the lack of relief in the kit. Could really do with some overlays for the timber framing IMO. The material the kit is cut from isn't my favourite either - closer to card than wood and it doesn't sand well. I much prefer working in plasticard!

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Thoughts so far?

To be honest, a bit disappointed in the lack of relief in the kit.

Being quite frank I would agree old boy, whilst they provide a pretty good range I have felt they are better as an aid to scratch building and I think you've gone the right way by adding various items of your own.

Although I enjoy using the Silhouette cutter I feel that laser cut mdf etc gives more depth than the card used in these kits. By the time you're happy with the box it may have proven quicker to have scratch built although I know it's not what you aimed to do. If it's going to be a feature then you may want to consider spending a little bit more time on it ?

Whatever you choose to do I know it will look good eventually and above all have fun doing it !

G

LarryG

Western Thunderer
L-cut kits are the least expensive around and merely provide a basic kit. My initial introduction to laser cut kits was with L-cut, but having completed a signal box, I then set too and fully rebuilt it with a lot more relief.

I find laser cut brickwork has much finer cement courses and provides far more realism at the painting stage.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Being quite frank I would agree old boy, whilst they provide a pretty good range I have felt they are better as an aid to scratch building and I think you've gone the right way by adding various items of your own.

Although I enjoy using the Silhouette cutter I feel that laser cut mdf etc gives more depth than the card used in these kits. By the time you're happy with the box it may have proven quicker to have scratch built although I know it's not what you aimed to do. If it's going to be a feature then you may want to consider spending a little bit more time on it ?

Whatever you choose to do I know it will look good eventually and above all have fun doing it !

G

Interesting that your thoughts are similar. I think I'd definitely call them a scratch building aid. Will the plastic added in it's definitely much stronger and more sturdy.

It's still saved me a load of time and the bits I've added have been very quick to do.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
L-cut kits are the least expensive around and merely provide a basic kit. My initial introduction to laser cut kits was with L-cut, but having completed a signal box, I then set too and fully rebuilt it with a lot more relief.

I find laser cut brickwork has much finer cement courses and provides far more realism at the painting stage.

Hi Larry, I quite liked the brickwork - pity I wanted stone! I've made the brick base up anyway and will use it somewhere in the clay works area...

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Exactly Heather, that's why I'm building myself a trainset rather than a full on scale model with handbuilt track etc. Looking forward to just playing with trains.

Something which is often overlooked in this fine hobby of ours.

Whilst I'm on the cusp of starting a new build myself, I have enjoyed spending some time simply shunting wagons on Bleat Wharf.

There is a lot to be said for the relaxation it provides.......However, last night's op. session was shorter than anticipated as I combined it at short notice with a large measure of single malt. Following a dynamic risk assessment, said op. session was curtailed in light of emerging developments.

Rob.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Currently pondering a very important part of the layout...

Its name.

Apparently "By Tre, Pol and Pen shall ye know Cornishmen". The previous 4mm N Cornwall layout built 18 years ago was Treneglos. My current 7mm project is Pencarrow. So that's 2 out of 3 done, with just Pol to do, but another Tre or Pen would be fine.

I want something that reflects the location which is North Cornwall in the Bodmin / Wadebridge area. A real place name or an amalgamation would do. I don't want to use a real station / halt / junction name though, so Nanstallon, Boscarne etc are out.

So based on these search criteria I came up with a list, including: Polbrock, Tredethy, Tregarrick (a literary fictional name for Bodmin) etc

Now, I know the area is popular for trainset names but I wasn't quite prepared for every option on my long list already belonging to a layout.

Two questions:
1. Does it matter that a name is already in use (could cause confusion on the circuit)?
2. Any suggestions for a name?

Currently pondering a very important part of the layout...

Its name.

Apparently "By Tre, Pol and Pen shall ye know Cornishmen". The previous 4mm N Cornwall layout built 18 years ago was Treneglos. My current 7mm project is Pencarrow. So that's 2 out of 3 done, with just Pol to do, but another Tre or Pen would be fine.

I want something that reflects the location which is North Cornwall in the Bodmin / Wadebridge area. A real place name or an amalgamation would do. I don't want to use a real station / halt / junction name though, so Nanstallon, Boscarne etc are out.

So based on these search criteria I came up with a list, including: Polbrock, Tredethy, Tregarrick (a literary fictional name for Bodmin) etc

Now, I know the area is popular for trainset names but I wasn't quite prepared for every option on my long list already belonging to a layout.

Two questions:
1. Does it matter that a name is already in use (could cause confusion on the circuit)?
2. Any suggestions for a name?
Chris
How does Polgooth or Lower Polgooth sound? Both proper place names on the road to Pentewan. The pub at Polgooth is great for food and a pint if you feel the need for a field trip.
Hope this helps
Malcolm

PS please avoid Poldark unless you intend to whip off your shirt and hold a scythe while exhibiting your layout.

Last edited: