4mm Postcards from Whatborough Camp.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Those of you with good memories may recall that the original thread on this layout was terminated last year. However, I said at the time that the layout would remain up and running which indeed it has. As a result of certain over-estimations regarding building footprint size on my Cropsham layout, (under construction - it has an ongoing thread) Whatborough has seen certain industrial expansion proposed and I figured a postcard showing this might be appreciated. Perhaps - perhaps not - who knows ? We shall see - :rolleyes:.

A couple of pictures showing the proposed extension to the scenic area and the 'plant' as it will appear! What is actually made there is strictly under wraps - (there's a war on if you recall the era I use). As will be seen,certain revisions to existing scenery will have to be made, all of which are well planned (said he, optimistic as ever ;)!) and if the weather remains a little drier so that I can get in and out of the shed without being soaked, this work should go on steadily. I have the benefit of some heating in there so an hour or so at a time can get it done, bit by bit.

SAM_0008.JPG
Modifications to the boundary wall and rail over-bridge are planned to tidy up this aspect, together with a back-scene extension.

SAM_0009.JPG
Further back screening will be necessary and the shelf containing odds and sundries will be removed as a scenic back board will render it inaccessible anyway. I have certain ideas regarding the over-bridge which should be more of a tunnel entrance in theory, so a rather heavy modification appears on the cards - not a real problem to me - scenic work is my favourite field within the hobby - I may not be that good at it compared to many others today, but I do enjoy it. :cool::D!

There you have it. Perhaps another postcard some time, we shall see ;) !?!

Roger.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Those of you with good memories may recall that the original thread on this layout was terminated last year. However, I said at the time that the layout would remain up and running which indeed it has. As a result of certain over-estimations regarding building footprint size on my Cropsham layout, (under construction - it has an ongoing thread) Whatborough has seen certain industrial expansion proposed and I figured a postcard showing this might be appreciated. Perhaps - perhaps not - who knows ? We shall see - :rolleyes:.

A couple of pictures showing the proposed extension to the scenic area and the 'plant' as it will appear! What is actually made there is strictly under wraps - (there's a war on if you recall the era I use). As will be seen,certain revisions to existing scenery will have to be made, all of which are well planned (said he, optimistic as ever ;)!) and if the weather remains a little drier so that I can get in and out of the shed without being soaked, this work should go on steadily. I have the benefit of some heating in there so an hour or so at a time can get it done, bit by bit.

View attachment 179094
Modifications to the boundary wall and rail over-bridge are planned to tidy up this aspect, together with a back-scene extension.

View attachment 179095
Further back screening will be necessary and the shelf containing odds and sundries will be removed as a scenic back board will render it inaccessible anyway. I have certain ideas regarding the over-bridge which should be more of a tunnel entrance in theory, so a rather heavy modification appears on the cards - not a real problem to me - scenic work is my favourite field within the hobby - I may not be that good at it compared to many others today, but I do enjoy it. :cool::D!

There you have it. Perhaps another postcard some time, we shall see ;) !?!

Roger.
A most complex complex, Roger; nicely constructed too :thumbs: Carry on in this fashion and you’ll be getting turfed out of the Ten Thumbs Society :D

I’m guessing heavy armament;)

Looking forward to the receipt of further postcards re developments as described in due course (weather permitting:mad:), and must add that I’m slightly jealous of you and your outdoor heating. I can barely work for an hour or so in either garage or model room (despite the insulation) before I lose all feeling. I jest not:(

Happy scenicking!

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Following the abandonment of Cropsham following a flooding of my garage, Whatborough Camp now gets my full modelling attention. The old adage of every cloud has a silver lining was once again proved in that I found that I could make improvements to Whatborough by re-vamping part of the former Cropsham which had survived the deluge. This was the 'fiddle yard' board which was would be a comfortable fit for the Whatborough layout and the existing one was never to my satisfaction. It has required disassembly as the frames were not directly compatible and I thought it may be of interest to show that work is in progress.

First, the corner and back shelf that needed clearing with the original track work already removed. The old Cropsham board is roughly in position but the disparity of level and general disparity is obvious :eek: :
SAM_0010.JPG

The shelf and contents has gone and the old Cropham board has been reduced to component parts allowing revision of supporting timbers to be completed: The leading surface board for the traverser is temporarily in place:

SAM_0012.JPG

The other end from where the traverser will eventually be pivoted. This is existing benchwork from a long past scheme in the days when my railway shed entertained the SNCF in 3.5mm form........:cool:;):
SAM_0011.JPG

That's the news and pictures fit to print from Whatborough. No comments about my carpentry please, I know it is rubbish but it does work and it is safe :thumbs:.

Cheers,

Roger ;)

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Following the abandonment of Cropsham following a flooding of my garage, Whatborough Camp now gets my full modelling attention. The old adage of every cloud has a silver lining was once again proved in that I found that I could make improvements to Whatborough by re-vamping part of the former Cropsham which had survived the deluge. This was the 'fiddle yard' board which was would be a comfortable fit for the Whatborough layout and the existing one was never to my satisfaction. It has required disassembly as the frames were not directly compatible and I thought it may be of interest to show that work is in progress.

First, the corner and back shelf that needed clearing with the original track work already removed. The old Cropsham board is roughly in position but the disparity of level and general disparity is obvious :eek: :
View attachment 179620

The shelf and contents has gone and the old Cropham board has been reduced to component parts allowing revision of supporting timbers to be completed: The leading surface board for the traverser is temporarily in place:

View attachment 179621

The other end from where the traverser will eventually be pivoted. This is existing benchwork from a long past scheme in the days when my railway shed entertained the SNCF in 3.5mm form........:cool:;):
View attachment 179622

That's the news and pictures fit to print from Whatborough. No comments about my carpentry please, I know it is rubbish but it does work and it is safe :thumbs:.

Cheers,

Roger ;)

On the contrary, Roger: stout work, stout fellow :thumbs:

Watching and learning.

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Things are moving on - albeit slowly. Firstly, thanks to Jon and Julian for your kind encouragement - it is a great help :) . After the initial try-out as shown in the earlier picture, I found that within the confines of my railway shed, the original width of the board with the sector plate was somewhat too wide for comfort. Not a difficult modification to reduce the width, given that it was already in component form so I went ahead and the result can now be seen below. The curve leading in from the existing layout is radius two, or what we old-timers called seventeen and a half inch radius. As I have now limited the maximum loco size on the layout with one exception, to six-coupled types I don't envisage any problems. The exception is my G2a 0-8-0 which has a relatively short wheelbase in any case and has been proved to handle this curve with ease. More to the point, the curve will be mostly hidden and not easily accessed, so a derailment would be an unwelcome factor, to say the least.

Much of my stock has now been moved on and will no doubt find homes elsewhere in the hobby, allowing me to re-think the entire situation especially as I am slowly fulfilling a long felt need to have some BR(S) stock in a 1950's version of Whatborough, which , Brigadoon-like, has appeared out of the mist somewhat further towards the south of England. A revised back-story is in hand.........:rolleyes:. Now to the latest scenes showing that at last there is access to the sector board - more remains to be done - a lot more :confused:!?!

Sowing the revised width board. I should perhaps explain the apparent gap between the sector plate and the main board is essential to allow the left hand side clearance due to the angles. ( I am GCE (Geometry), failed, of course.)
SAM_0010.JPG

Showing the lead track and siding tracks placed. An alignment device will be fitted next. The open space will house the sub-control panel of switches for the sector plate plus,ultimately, be subject to some scenic work.
SAM_0011.JPG

So there you have it once more - a further series of minor events in the slow development of this little layout. Well, it keeps me out of mischief.......;).

Roger.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Roger it’s these small changes that keep us all engaged in our wonderful hobby work. I hope that I can still be actively engaged and be able to keep working on my projects when I get to the same age as you in my journey through life. Following along with interest with your development.

Michael

jonte

Western Thunderer
Things are moving on - albeit slowly. Firstly, thanks to Jon and Julian for your kind encouragement - it is a great help :) . After the initial try-out as shown in the earlier picture, I found that within the confines of my railway shed, the original width of the board with the sector plate was somewhat too wide for comfort. Not a difficult modification to reduce the width, given that it was already in component form so I went ahead and the result can now be seen below. The curve leading in from the existing layout is radius two, or what we old-timers called seventeen and a half inch radius. As I have now limited the maximum loco size on the layout with one exception, to six-coupled types I don't envisage any problems. The exception is my G2a 0-8-0 which has a relatively short wheelbase in any case and has been proved to handle this curve with ease. More to the point, the curve will be mostly hidden and not easily accessed, so a derailment would be an unwelcome factor, to say the least.

Much of my stock has now been moved on and will no doubt find homes elsewhere in the hobby, allowing me to re-think the entire situation especially as I am slowly fulfilling a long felt need to have some BR(S) stock in a 1950's version of Whatborough, which , Brigadoon-like, has appeared out of the mist somewhat further towards the south of England. A revised back-story is in hand.........:rolleyes:. Now to the latest scenes showing that at last there is access to the sector board - more remains to be done - a lot more :confused:!?!

Sowing the revised width board. I should perhaps explain the apparent gap between the sector plate and the main board is essential to allow the left hand side clearance due to the angles. ( I am GCE (Geometry), failed, of course.)
View attachment 180172

Showing the lead track and siding tracks placed. An alignment device will be fitted next. The open space will house the sub-control panel of switches for the sector plate plus,ultimately, be subject to some scenic work.
View attachment 180173

So there you have it once more - a further series of minor events in the slow development of this little layout. Well, it keeps me out of mischief.......;).

Roger.
It all sounds a little complicated to me, Roger, but I shall be intrigued to see how it all pans out :thumbs:

Keep going!

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
It all sounds a little complicated to me, Roger, but I shall be intrigued to see how it all pans out :thumbs:

Keep going!

Jon

If it helps you to see things more clearly the largest loco for 'Whatborough in the Fifties' is a Standard Class 5 4-6-0 followed a 2-6-4T follows and then a 2-6-2T. The remainder are either 4-4-0, 0-6-0, 0-4-4T or 2-4-2T (see my avatar..;)). All of these types cope with the radius mentioned without problem. Space being a Mark 1 issue in an 8' x 6' shed means much as I would like one, a 'Spam-can' or a 9F are out :(. Obviously, like many of us in the hobby I have far too many locos for the layout, but then again, why else do we have fiddle yards and storage sidings?

Roger

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
At last :) :thumbs:!!!! The sector plate is fitted, wired and is working and real train operations can commence once more in and out of Whatborough Camp. It has been a long time in the fixing for a job that some would get done in an afternoon, but regrettably my resident ailments and the cold weather have not been of great assistance to me over the past two or three weeks :(. However, that is now overcome and the joy of the job getting done brightens one's life somewhat. Needless to say, Sod's Law had to get in on the act - after fitting up the switches, I discovered one was u/s which meant removal and replacement with a working part. Fortunately I have a copious supply so the frustration level was kept within reason!

Here is the testing run being done with a typical LMS stalwart - a Fowler 4F. As I have been known to say, if you are 'doing' the LMS, you can't have too many 4F's! :D:D The one shown is a golden oldie - one of the much and IMHO, most unfairly, maligned Airfix ones. They are as cheap as chips on the second hand market and are quite good enough after a bit of tlc.

Here the loco has just run off the number one reception road back towards Whatborough Yard. The road locating bolt is to the fore.
SAM_0001.JPG
The 4F entering number two reception road. This view also shows the simple (some might say crude), but effective alignment system I use:SAM_0002.JPG

Finally the very basic sector plate control - two SPST switches and some ply...........:rolleyes:
SAM_0003.JPG

I should have sanded that bottom edge shouldn't I ? Still, enough of this high-tech stuff :cool:- I can now get on with really playing trains and doing some scenery - all enjoyable prospects other than the ballasting, but I can't put that off any longer. Still, I have the kit for the job, so onwards and upwards. See you all again, soon ;).

Roger.

jonte

Western Thunderer
At last :) :thumbs:!!!! The sector plate is fitted, wired and is working and real train operations can commence once more in and out of Whatborough Camp. It has been a long time in the fixing for a job that some would get done in an afternoon, but regrettably my resident ailments and the cold weather have not been of great assistance to me over the past two or three weeks :(. However, that is now overcome and the joy of the job getting done brightens one's life somewhat. Needless to say, Sod's Law had to get in on the act - after fitting up the switches, I discovered one was u/s which meant removal and replacement with a working part. Fortunately I have a copious supply so the frustration level was kept within reason!

Here is the testing run being done with a typical LMS stalwart - a Fowler 4F. As I have been known to say, if you are 'doing' the LMS, you can't have too many 4F's! :D:D The one shown is a golden oldie - one of the much and IMHO, most unfairly, maligned Airfix ones. They are as cheap as chips on the second hand market and are quite good enough after a bit of tlc.

Here the loco has just run off the number one reception road back towards Whatborough Yard. The road locating bolt is to the fore.
View attachment 181885
The 4F entering number two reception road. This view also shows the simple (some might say crude), but effective alignment system I use:View attachment 181886

Finally the very basic sector plate control - two SPST switches and some ply...........:rolleyes:
View attachment 181887

I should have sanded that bottom edge shouldn't I ? Still, enough of this high-tech stuff :cool:- I can now get on with really playing trains and doing some scenery - all enjoyable prospects other than the ballasting, but I can't put that off any longer. Still, I have the kit for the job, so onwards and upwards. See you all again, soon ;).

Roger.

That you remain committed to the challenge of the hobby in the circumstances (I sincerely hope and trust you don’t mind my pointing this out) Roger, is commendable. To overcome your many hurdles and turn thought into practice is remarkable, thus I congratulate your achievement in not only constructing the sector plate, but also your skill and knowledge in making it work. Your past experience in the hobby shows.

And all at this inclement time of year :thumbs:

As for the ballasting, I think it remains onerous and fraught whatever our stage in life. Good luck, Roger!

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
For those of you who have followed this file since it opened, the following picture may seem a little familiar. This is because the opening missive contained illustrations of a very temporary arrangement of the factory complex where essential war work is carried out at Whatborough. Well, despite the long delay due to many reasons, I have at last been able to have a go at making this scenea proper feature.

The first job was to fit a proper raised sub-base upon which the buildings could be placed and a permanent unit has now been so fitted. Simple enough, constructed with wooden spacers and a sheet of hardboard - yes folks, hardboard, but it will not be bearing any noticeable weight neither will anything require pinning down - glue is a wonderful thing for this particular job. The arrangement of the buildings is somewhat different to the original somewhat cramped idea, see #1 above, and I envisage the service drivers will be able to manoeuvre in the factory yard with somewhat more ease, thus cutting down on their colourful terminology somewhat, :rolleyes:.

I have managed to recycle some of the kit parts constructed for my Cropsham layout - rain stopped play there, permanently as you might know :( - namely the retaining walls. Some of these very useful units by Metcalfe Models can already be seen at Whatborough, so a few more fit in quite nicely. As can be seen from the picture, a back-scene extension is required and the boundary walls are still under construction so are currently absent. Detailing and finishing jobs are the next move and I shall report accordingly in due course. Until then, enjoy your modelling and with the year progressing in to warmer weather, I anticipate my progress will accelerate somewhat too :).

Here is the scene so far - all items remain to be secured, but this is how they will look when the job is complete.

SAM_0002.JPG

See you all again ;)!

Roger.

jonte

Western Thunderer
A seamless blend, Roger, of what is a most believable composition :thumbs:

Sorry for the short post but currently in a rather remote and wild location twixt land and sea where the internet is somewhat intermittent at best :mad:

Signing off by saying nowt wrong with hardboard; if I was home I could send a photo of a length in the wood loft (sounds a bit grand :rolleyes:) being appropriately stored for a rainy day;)

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
It's all been a bit quiet at Whatborough of late, but I thought it was only right to bring things up to date a bit. The cold weather, compounded by a relatively minor but incapacitating illness and not forgetting the resident arthritis have meant that most of what little work I have been able to do has been indoors at my work-desk. The factory site awaits permanent fixture and a minor adjustment to the alignment of the half-relief section was made on a brief visit to the railway shed. Added to that I have been engaged on recovery work on the damaged station from the old Cropsham layout which, I am delighted to say, has resulted in it's re-birth, albeit it a slightly abbreviated form from the amputation of the damaged area. On the administration side, the disposal of some locomotives and rolling stock has resulted in a tidier stock allocation for Whatborough workings, not to mention a modest increase in the coffers for further schemes :thumbs: .

Fortunately, as the days lengthen and (hopefully :rolleyes:) get warmer, things will look up and whilst keeping track of the gardening needs, much more progress can be made at Whatborough.

(Thinks - I really must do that ballasting...............:eek: !!!!)

Pictures next time, fellow Thunderers.

Roger ;).

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
A Final Postcard from Whatborough Camp.

It is with some considerable regret that I write this last postcard from Whatborough. Only last week I had hoped to be continuing with this model for some time yet, whilst, as a friend succinctly put it. I was spared. However, a series of circumstances over the week-end both personal, health-wise and concerning the accommodation of the layout have forced me to discontinue modelling for the present. May I thank those of you who have been kind enough to show your enjoyment of my efforts and my ramblings over the existence of Whatborough in all its forms, trials and tribulations. The rolling stock is now for sale and should anyone be interested please discuss by pm.

I hope to continue enjoying many of the features of WT and throw in the odd two penn'orth of comment from time to time.

Thank you all once more.

Roger ;) .