Rail served oil depot

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
IMG_2315.jpg

Although unfinished, the most hated task (wet ballasting) is complete, tomorrow afternoon, when it is set really hard, the excess will be removed. As soon as I am happy with the ballast, laying the grass is next; two lengths, neat/tidy inside the compound (fire hazard) and not so neat outside. Today, I was collecting gravel from the garden centre car park so that the depot SNCO can gaze out at whitewashed stones beside his path.

The puzzle didn’t work out as planned, the quoted lengths were somewhat ambitious, the headshunt just holds a Ruston+three 14t tanks, however operating is a hoot. It should be popular with both military and railway modellers.

Tim

john coates

Some one quoted Wantage as a oil depot but having lived in the area of the Wantage Branch I do not believe there was an oil depot in the area although there was an airfield at Grove. John

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Some one quoted Wantage as a oil depot but having lived in the area of the Wantage Branch I do not believe there was an oil depot in the area although there was an airfield at Grove. John
A number of reputable publications by a relatively local publisher (Wild Swan) have included photographs, drawings and reminiscences of the oil depot at Wantage. It was not large but was located in the Lower Yard.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The masking tape has been removed without too much drama, possibly the worst tape ever made by Mammoth. The rail tops were polished with a Roco track rubber, once given away by Roco, they are nearer to £20 these days. Somewhere hiding in the shed, there is a packet of etched turnout levers, a nice touch once found and fitted.

20240915b800.jpg

Henry cleaned off the detritus and now the grassmaster is being loaded with some 4mm meadow mix for the compound and 10mm for beyond the fence.

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Some of the short* grass has been laid inside the compound and I cannot find the point levers.

*Well maintained short grass supposedly reduces the fire risk but the actual reason is military 'neatness'

Tim

20240916c800.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
I like the concept and the contrast between military spec. grass and civilian is a nice touch.
There is always a ‘reason why’ provided by service life for the most arcane tasks but the elephant in the room is always ‘neat and tidy’ hence white painted* stones beside the path to the SNCO’s lair.

Tim

*Another provider of mundane tasks for those on ‘puns’ painting the stones.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
When my dad (as a meteorologist in the Air Ministry) served his National Service between 1949 and 1951 - surprisingly, as a meteorologist - at RAF Leuchars and then at RAF Ringway (before it became an airport) he often remarked to me when there was a special occasion, visit or pararde any uncut long grass blades next to a post were often painted white. I think this was also the case when we were stationed in Germany in the late 1960s and at RAF Wattisham when we returned.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Some of the short* grass has been laid inside the compound and I cannot find the point levers.

*Well maintained short grass supposedly reduces the fire risk but the actual reason is military 'neatness'

Depending on your time period it could also provide a reason to have a plinthed WWII tank by the gate, although plinthed aircraft and/or tanks were generally at main gates.