Re: Union Pacific in Oldham

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
ditch lights

rjr said:
There must be a CV even on a Hornby decoder to get function output 1 to flash, but that's a job for another day
Blimey I'll get me shades... 8)  :D

When you've found the right CV, remember they flash alternately, too, a bit like Police car headlights when they're 'advertising'....  ;)
i avoid the issue of ditch lights (so far) by modelling the period just before they were introduced... :shit: :))

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Apparently the rules around headlights and ditchlights are actually pretty complex, and there are clips on You-tube with ditch lights steady or flashing... I think they mainly use 'flashing'  when approaching Grade Crossings, but then, as I've said before, I ought to give up thinking.... :-[

*Note to Self; Shut up and just admire RJR's handiwork.* :shit: (especially the weathering!! :bowdown:)

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Here's one with steady ditch lights...

the lights are about the only thing steady, though... :eek: another great example of Dark Side track laying... :))

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Union Pacific in Oldham

Jordan said:
Here's one with steady ditch lights...

the lights are about the only thing steady, though... :eek: another great example of Dark Side track laying... :))

Shake Rattle and Roll Eh mate its like watching the roads leading to Bescot hump they where rough but the speed was alot slower

Ian

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

747 has now received some weathering..

SDC18082.jpg

SDC18085.jpg

10-11-17_212948_MB_R8_S4.jpg

and to mark the occasion I shot some video, you really don't need a lot of space to fill time, this 5mins of car spotting involved just cutting one car out from the back of the string to replace one being picked up.

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Hello 1 and all ... I haven't posted here for a while, sorry. I had a severe lack of modelling mojo over the Christmas period and even early with the harsh weather. Mid January I ventured back to the shed and since than have concentrated on my blogs.

An update ... first steps back involved playing with video

This was a play with ambient sounds playing on an mp3 player behind the camera.. inspired by comments by Jordan on RMweb.

Then I decided I needed a continous run in the shed, but without lossing my current layout, so I moved up a level.

Then this weekend Mrs RJR bought me a new DMU as a birthday present.. In fact it is more suitable for this forum than most things , it says "Western" on the side !!

SDC18245.jpg

SDC18247.jpg

My recent (yesterday and today) has been work on a "skyscraper"

SDC18252.jpg

SDC18253.jpg

SDC18255.jpg

SDC18257.jpg

SDC18259.jpg

SDC18261.jpg

SDC18265.jpg

John

Ps I like the new silver forum skin  ;D

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

rjr said:
Hello 1 and all ... I haven't posted here for a while, sorry. I had a severe lack of modelling mojo over the Christmas period and even early with the harsh weather. ..
I did notice a lack of posts, but you were still lurking, methinks... ;)
The recent cold spells have played havoc with my modelling, as well as a spell of illness. I have been trying to glue ballast on Schiller Point; it took a week for the dilute PVA to dry, and now it's left a white residue and stains on the sleepers. :headbang:
I love the High Level line; as always, John, once you have an idea it's no sooner said than done... :bowdown: :bowdown:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Union Pacific in Oldham

Very impressive got any more room in the TARDIS then no further idea's like a rack railway in the eve's :)) :)).

Ian

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Playing with trains, cameras and video editing software ! Perfect Friday night !

The music on the "car radio" is playing in the shed so caught by the camera, the loco noise is added in afterwards on the video software (Ulead) then all output in HD

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Thank you for your kind comments ..

Yesterday a rather nice clean chessie loco which may have been spotted in various pictures, was transformed into a locally owned loco. As seems the custom and practice the new owners went for a minimum patch up, blotting out the old road name and adding their own. This loco will now be used to switch the local freight,getting it ready for the much larger UP guys to take it away.

A close look will also show some new fence work has been erected. Getting picture with the mesh and surroundings all in focus was impossible for my camera without the use of Helicon photo stacking software.

2.jpg

8.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

7.jpg

SDC18377.jpg

John
RJR

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

After following a rather interesting thread on another forum about the use of warning flares or "fusee" at unmarked crossings thought I would have a go...

There is more info and a video link to a fusee in use for real on my blog

www.rjrmodels.blogspot.com

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Thanks Gents, not been doing much modelling of late, too busy playing with a new blog about life the universe and everything :) www.rjrdaydreamer.blogspot.com

Last night I wandered down to the shed for a bit of modelling, during the course of the week I had picked up a packet of Noch grass clumps

SDC18449.jpg

Individual tufts of grass. A pair of pliers and some wood glue were all that was needed to stick them down, oh and some patience as there were 70 tufts! The first picture is an overview of where most of them ended up.

SDC18471.jpg

I found they looked best grouped a little.

mix1.jpg

SDC18453.jpg

They are very soft to the touch so are pretty good between rails as they move easily out of the way of couplers or wheel flanges.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

I didn't know Noch did stuff like this... not that I'd actually looked, of course... ::) :-[ How does this compare in price with the likes of Silflor, for instance, which I gather is quite expensive?