Reading trade show 4th December

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Dog Star said:
An interesting question and as a member of the GOGG and of S7G a question which I raised within the Guildford Group at the beginning of the year...  at a time when the group was discussing their new test track.  On the basis that track laying for the new test track is underway and that there is neither S7 track being laid nor space for same then the answer would appear to be no.

As regards the trade show this coming weekend, I shall be doing my bit as a Steward....

regards, Graham

One day.... one day !!

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Fair point... What are the chances that some traders might not make it, even if we do? Namely the ones that I want to spend some money with... I'd hate to get there from east London to realise that they weren't there...

Mostly, Slaters, Eileens Emporium, Laurrie Griffin (though he should be okay in his 4x4), Hobby Holidays, Hobbyhorse developments, ABC gears...

JB.

28ten

Guv'nor
I put an order in to Slaters on Sunday and still no sign (normally it would have arrived on Tuesday)  so I guess they have a couple of problems

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
according to his post on the 7mm email group, Chris of Invertrain is going to try very hard, but doubts expressed by Ian Kirk and possibly Parkside - all three are based in Fife :eek:

regards

Mike

B

Badger

The trains are still running. the main roads are clear. I may get there
Bob

G

Graham Powell

According to emails on the 7mm yahoo group this morning, Bob Pearman Books and possibly Slaters also look doubtful. If you particularly want to see either of these traders I would suggest ringing them first to see if they can get there.
rgds
Graham Powell :thumbs:

Willy

Western Thunderer
According to the GOG website; Bob Lawrence  who is the rep for the Reading area said that he had not been contacted and he will be attending unless someone phones to tell him otherwise.

Willy.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Well that's a bugger !! I needed to get plenty from Slaters..

When does one make the decision "to go, or not to go"

JB.

28ten

Guv'nor
My Slaters parcel didn't turn up this morning, so it doesnt seem too good.
I think you need to decide how desperate you are for the bits and weigh up the pros and cons of the journey, you can always mail order post free over ?60 anyway.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
It's more Eileens that I was hoping to visit for something so simple as half round brass rod..  :))

And then there's always the show offers..  ;)

JB.

28ten

Guv'nor
Very sensible comments CME. Even if I had planned to go, I wouldn't be making the trip now for the reasons you give. I do feel for the organisers, as once one trader pulls it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
CME & Bottlewasher said:
I have telephoned Peter Cowling - he is trying to get there, cant raise one or two other suppliers (already on their way?).

Now we are 80-90% sure that we/I are not going, cheaper to pay P&P than to get stuck/prang car (it's just been fixed after garage put dents in the roof - dont ask :headbang:), not a lot of white stuff here, yet plenty of black ice and heavy fog predicted on the M4 for tomorrow morning, then sleet and snow - not much fun getting there, less so if some traders dont show aswell. Dont want to sound defeatist, just pragmatic - I hope to get to Bristol in Jan - weather pemitting :scratch:.

My bro-in-law had a 7 or so hour journey home from London last night (three trains, bus, taxi and a four hour walk - or somthing in that magnitude). That will teach him to work in the 'smoke'.

I dont often take much notice of the powers that be, yet non essential journeys and all that.....seems to make sence.

I had hoped to sell a NG diesel and a couple of DVD's at Reading - Ebay/Amazon beckons now :D :))

CME :wave:

Tounge in cheek mode on 'It wont take you that long if you set off now'

Ian

Ian

G

Graham Powell

Well, it probably would pay you to contact Slaters and confirm what they are doing. Aquitrain are another firm not going to be there.(GOG website).
rgds
Graham Powell

28ten

Guv'nor
CME & Bottlewasher said:
It is a shame yet true - when I spoke to the organisers a few days back they were bracing themselves for such eventualities...... :(
hopefully they have some sort of event insurance to cover such eventualities.

Temeraire

Western Thunderer
If it helps anyone (A bit late I know), I had an email from Karen at ABC Gears this morning, they aren't going now due to the poor roads.
They're posting my order out to me rather than me collecting from them at Reading.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Well, I made it!

I took the gamble that the forecasts were accurate, particularly rising temperatures and got to Reading very easily owing to the relative absence of road traffic. Main roads (at least south of Kidderminster) were dry and ice-free, and Reading was entirely normal.

There were only 11 traders that didn't make it, and I gather attendance was at about 70% of normal, so plenty of traders for the punters to see, and plenty of punters for the traders to sell to. We had a great time, and all left with lighter wallets. I bought enough bits and bobs to scratchbuild 2 LMS 42' non-passenger brakes, so that will be a workbench thread in due course, and enough signal components to build the 5 doll gantry I need for Heyside.

Had a chat with Dan Randall (bill's in the post ;D) and Brian Daniels where I was able to inspect the Heljan Deltic pre-production model - very nice.

So, well worth the effort.

Richard

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
hi Richard,

Glad you managed to get to Reading without any trouble :thumbs:. It sounds like the show was up to its usual standards :thumbs:
I look forward to the LMS 42' builds on your thread :thumbs:. I have two 57' to scratch build at some point, well the underframes anyway :scratch:.

Rob :wave: