Ressaldar's Modern Image workbench

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
I have always had a liking for the BR 03 shunters and back in 2009 a friend asked me to paint his brass San Cheng 03 as running at Birkenhead docks in 1987 with the special Birkenhead South commemorative livery.
IMG_0866.JPG

DSCF4147.JPG

The opportunity to repeat the exercise came up recently with an unpainted version on the Bay of E at a price that I could not ignore. An offer was made and it arrived a few days later.

The unwanted lamps were removed and the housing cupboard on the right hand side fabricated and fitted. I could not de-solder the horn to enable it to be fitted in the vertical position, so I decided to leave well enough alone!

P1020329.JPG

P1020330.JPG

P1020331.JPG

P1020332.JPG

P1020334.JPG

The main body colour is Deep Bronze Green from a rattle can, the yellow is again from a rattle can and the buffer beams are brushed acrylic. On the first model I masked off the yellow to create the stripes but this time I decided to use Railtec filmless stripes - having first removed the horizontal handrail on the cab rear and all of the handrails and the radiator filler pipes from the nose, all to be reapplied after the transfers had dried out. The cabside transfers are from Precision Decals (a repeat order from 2009)
P1020336.JPG
Now earning its keep on the layout.

I fitted a Zimo MS450 with an MGOBLOC stay alive and a 28x10x8 Icecube speaker mounted vertically behind the radiator - having applied a black permanent marker all over the face to disguise it when in place.

It will be weathered over the course of the next few weeks, so further photos will be posted

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

I would give the same reply if someone were to offer an unpainted San Cheng Schools to me! But I would have to have it!!!

Kind regards

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Yes, my “all our yesterdays” excursion with the Duchess (the story’s here Second hand Duchess if anyone’s interested) should have cured me of such nostalgia, particularly when it doesn’t fit with the theme that I’ve established for myself. Not sure I’ve learned the lesson…

As an aside, I have an abiding recollection of one lovely Schools model, I fitted an early Lenz decoder to it for my late pal, Ken Stansfield, probably some 26 years ago, and it seemed to perform ok on the indoor part of his quite extensive layout. So we let it out…. And it went off like a race horse, trouble was, with the bit between its teeth, stopping it. It did this regularly. We tried every trick in the (then, not very extensive) book and were never quite sure it wasn’t going to do it again. I eventually concluded that the decoder was the problem, and swapped it for a Zimo.

cheers
Simon

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

I made an Airfix unpowered version of Tonbridge with a 'Craftsman'? chassis and used Ultrascale wheels in the mid-late 60s and still have it - much battered, today's picture

IMG_1399.jpg

and eventually built a David Andrews version in 2004

DSCF0246.JPG

which was sold about ten years ago - much to my regret now. So my hope is that a San Cheng version will become available while my eyes are still able to get the lining on!

kind regards

Mike

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Memories... The Rosebud Kitmaster Schools was the first loco kit I ever built, brought home for me as an un-birthday present by my dear departed father. I was proud of my success in building it, glue fingermarks and all. I didn't paint it - after all, the plastic was black and so was the prototype. Sadly not long after a friend trod on it....

simond

Western Thunderer
Ah yes, a lovely rubber band high wing light plane, all balsa and doped tissue.
Nice kit, probably took 3 or 4 evenings when I should have been doing homework.
Flew it one afternoon in my pal’s parent’s large garden, then put it in the car for safe keeping.

some time later, we all got in the car…