Richard's American Train Adventures

JasonD

Western Thunderer
As usual I thought I was going to learn nearly everything about Railbox by pressing a few buttons ... then Google said "OK human, try this then you can justify making yet another cup of tea":

richard carr

Western Thunderer
After Lima, it was time to start heading west, the plan was to avoid the freeway wherever possible and stop off at a few railway spots of interest. The first one was going to be Kokomo Indiana.
Kokomo is know for having some old style 2 position signals at a crossing in the middle of the town. There is a large grain elevator there and there is street running to access it. I wasn;t expecting to see anything moving but it was on the way.

IRMmay24036A0477.jpg

The first thing we came across was this caboose, then a bit further along the street was the signal.

IRMmay24036A0480.jpg

IRMmay24036A0488.jpg

The crossing it protected has gone very recently, as I watched a video of it in action that was filmed earlier this year.

So after this little stop we headed further west back to Illinois, stopping off to see the KBS (Kankakee Beaverville and Southern).
Again nothing was happening but we did see one of their locos parked up at the depot.

IRMmay24036A0493.jpg

According to their website, these locos are GP38-2Ms, they have 6 of them. They used to have a few Alcos and were one of the last railroads to operate them on a regular basis. I'm not sure what the M means has happened to these locos, they are still 2000 HP but they have gained an additional cooling fan at the back.

Then it was on to Elmhurst in greater Chicago where we staying the night before going to the Illinois Railway Museum the next day. There is a decent Indian restaurant in Elmhurst, very close to the Metra station, so we had dinner there before watching a UP stack arrive from the west with 8 locos powering it.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
So after this little stop we headed further west back to Illinois, stopping off to see the KBS (Kankakee Beaverville and Southern).
Again nothing was happening but we did see one of their locos parked up at the depot.

IRMmay24036A0493.jpg

According to their website, these locos are GP38-2Ms, they have 6 of them. They used to have a few Alcos and were one of the last railroads to operate them on a regular basis. I'm not sure what the M means has happened to these locos, they are still 2000 HP but they have gained an additional cooling fan at the back.
It's the other way around, the unit started as a NYC gp40, hence the three radiator fans, then to Penn Central, Conrail, CNW, and ultimately KBS. Along the way it was (M)odified to derate the prime mover, which probably means removing the turbo actually, and was switched to a paper air filter box common on gp38's and gp38-2"s. The -2 designation suggests that the unit has also had electrical work done to upgrade it with modern modular electronics.