7mm Road Vehicles

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
For those of you interested in getting vehicle registrations correct I have this little gem, it gives the index marks for every county council. It was printed in 1946.
If anyone needs a particular reg prefix for there vehicles then just send a message and I'll oblige.:)
Car Index.jpg
ATB, Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I bought it from Bob Barlow when he was running Classic Commercials. I guess our AdrianBS now holds any stocks remaining."..........

"Perhaps I should get some data together and sort out some etches." (That's done it. I'll have to do it now. :confused:)

Thanks Heather, and yes you'll have to now mate:D

ATB, Col.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
What a great idea, Colin!

And having sorted my bookshelves only yesterday I came across two from 1956 and 1957 I'd forgotten I had, covering 1947 - 1957.

So with yours we could cover a pretty wide period. The Glasses Guides cover a 10 year period - what period does yours cover?

Tony
Scan0033.jpg

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Don't forget though that DVLA has for years now been issuing previously unregistered numbers to the personal plate and historic vehicle brigade (and for the last 20 years or so I'm certain that all registration marks issued by DVLA for previously unregistered HISTORIC vehicles have been previously un-issued Scottish numbers).

So it may well be that Mr Percy Humbolt Pryce paid DVLA a tidy sum for what may have been an un-issued number.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Col,
So which of the three lads assembled around the oil drum is you?

I hadn't quite appeared then Dave:p.
What I can tell you about the photo is that they are fixing poles in 40gal. drum with sand for flags or banners on the occasion of the Queen Liz's Coronation which would date it to 1953. The Guy in the shirt sleeves and bib and brace overalls is Tim Mathems who drove for my Grandfather(and subsequently my Father) since demob from the army after repatriation from a Japanese POW camp.
He was still working for the Family firm when I joined as an apprentice in the Seventies, he told me some scary stories of driving army trucks whilst under battle conditions, one of which involved a tank sliding forward, after the chains snapped, off the front of the trailer he was pulling ( no doubt with a Scammell) and having to jump out whilst the whole lot slid past him in a big flat mess:eek:.

And what about that spare tyre:rolleyes: wouldn't get away with now.
CJN is/was a reg. for Southend-on-Sea.

ATB, Col.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Excellent link that Heather... whilst I have read the layout thread I had not realised that there was a separate thread for the RC-lorry aspect of the modelling.

regards, Graham

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Oh why did you have to go and post that link? :D Another hour has just 'evaporated' - and so many thoughts are whirring uncontrollably around my head right now :confused:

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Oh why did you have to go and post that link? :D Another hour has just 'evaporated' -

+1 :oops: ...Must resist, must resist!

And it's the same with YouTube. At the end you get six picture links to related clips. I moved next to a Ford promotional film about a Thames Trader delivering beef to Paris. One film follows another... I just can't stop watching them. Suddenly a couple of hours have disapeared! :oops::oops:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
.... One film follows another... I just can't stop watching them. .....

I dare you to spend another 8 minutes on this Ford Thames Van advert then! I recently met the daughter of the double base player :D An appreciation of jazz would be beneficial....