Rocket

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
I'm thinking, only thinking, of building a version of Stephenson's Rocket. According to one book that I looked at, the pistons had a stroke of 16.5". If this is so, would I need a driving wheel that had a throw of some 8"? I hope someone has the answer.

Jon

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Jon, it might be worth taking a look at the Industrial Locomotive page on FB: Industrial Locomotive Enthusiasts Page | Facebook

If you have a browse you will find a chap who produces amazing animations of early locomotives.
He has recreated all the variations of ROCKET as it morphed over the years, and appears to have gone into extraordinary constructional detail, the likes of which I have not seen before.

NickB

Western Thunderer
Coming back to the original question, the crank throw is half the stroke, so 8.25 in (to be accurate).

Nick

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Mike
I've looked at the drawings, very comprehensive they are too!
My idea isn't to build a an absolute scale model but a version.

Jon

Bigjohn

Looking at the info above my first scratch build of a GWR 14xx in 1950 with a Skinnly blueprint seems prehistoric………
Big J

AJC

Western Thunderer
Mike
I've looked at the drawings, very comprehensive they are too!
My idea isn't to build a an absolute scale model but a version.

Jon

And that's sensible - not least because what we have left of Rocket is very much a version (which bears more or less relationship to the various forms of working locomotive that once existed). In other words the remains called Rocket are basically a full-size model incorporating some early - who knows (the report expresses a fair amount of honest doubt from memory), maybe even original - material. But yes, the crank throw is half the stroke, and for what's a small engine, that's a small number.

Adam

Overseer

Western Thunderer
And that's sensible - not least because what we have left of Rocket is very much a version (which bears more or less relationship to the various forms of working locomotive that once existed). In other words the remains called Rocket are basically a full-size model incorporating some early - who knows (the report expresses a fair amount of honest doubt from memory), maybe even original - material. But yes, the crank throw is half the stroke, and for what's a small engine, that's a small number.

Adam
I haven’t reread the book in the last few months but I don’t think that is the conclusion drawn. Some parts are definitely additions made prior to exhibiting Rocket and they are documented - trailing wheels, chimney, “steam pipes” and firebox. The frame and boiler are original, the frame had a few holes drilled to mount the brackets for the front buffer beam a year or two after construction. The original cylinders and valve gear were moved to a more horizontal position, swapping sides and inverting them in the process, again early in Rocket’s operating career. The smokebox was added while still in use on the Liverpool and Manchester. Overall, Rocket as it survives is substantially the machine built by Robert Stephenson with modifications made while operating on the L&M.

Locomotion, on the other hand, is a different story and the similar more recent analysis is available online.