Roger's G1 1/32nd Modelling

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hi Cynric
After spending a night researching what I required I chose the Iwata Revolution CR which has a 0.5 needle and is gravity fed, My friend Rob has a Iwata Neo 0.35 needle so between us we have hopefully all area`s covered.
When I did D6331 it was the first model I completely airbrushed from start to finish, I remember putting layer upon layer of BR green only to remove loads and add lighter hue`s of BR green to get the weathered shade I was after. All G1 locos after this, D838 & 862 recieved a can of either Railmatch or Precision areosol paint to give a stronger base coat and then use the airbrush for weathering only.
Cheers
Mr TV

28ten

Guv'nor
the 0.5 nozzle is less prone to clogging, so it is a good choice. if you are spraying enamel it is worth getting a can of 'liquid reamer' it really gets the gunk out after a session.

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
the 0.5 nozzle is less prone to clogging, so it is a good choice. if you are spraying enamel it is worth getting a can of 'liquid reamer' it really gets the gunk out after a session.
Hi Cynric
Yes spent most of the last 25 years modelling using enamel paints and getting used to there consistency which I aim to continue, never much bothered by acrylics, however Rob has had some excelklent results on his military models using acrylics, he did advise me to get the liquid reamer to aid cleaning, I did use a 0.35 Badger brush however as you have allready said this used to get clogged up hence the o.5 Iwata.

Cheers
Mr TV

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer

Hello Steve,

Yes, I have got a Badger airbrush and I really must start using it, but one step at a time first.

I have a few MIG pigments to play with and I picked up some Modelmates weathering washes at Warley.
I have seen the Flory website and I saw their powders at IPMS Telford a few weeks ago. I resisted getting any more weathering materials - I better try using what I already have first.

This past week I have made up the securing chains for the Loriot / Lowmac WE and the Cambridge Custom Transfers arrived as well, so hopefully the weathering will start this coming week.........

Roger

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Well, I think that I can say that I have finished the weathering of my GWR 10 ton ballast wagon. It's not up to Welsh Wizard standards, but I'm happy with it for a first attempt.

GWR 10t ballast-5 resize.jpg GWR 10t ballast-6 resize.jpg

Here's the load that will be "thrown" in!!
GWR 10t ballast-7 resize.jpg

And here is some of the load in the wagon
GWR 10t ballast-8 resize.jpg

I don't want to "teach grandmother how to suck eggs", but if anyone is interested in how a novice went about his first weathering project, let me know.

Roger

D1054

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger. Looks lovely to me, and you can come and run it on my 1/32 garden railway anytime...... (I just need to build it first!). Seriously tho, very nice wagon n load:thumbs:

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger,

Always interested in others' work and methods - so a yes please from me:thumbs::thumbs:

ATVB

CME:)

CME,

To start off, I used Hycote acrylic grey primer on the chassis and body followed by Halfords acrylic matt black. The black had quite a satin look to it and I spent a lot of time wondering how I could tone it down and achieve the look that I wanted.

All the weathering was done with Humbrol enamel washes. The outside of the body was weathered with H29 dark earth and H34 white. I used H121 pale stone to represent stone dust accumulating at the bottom of the doors, but I don't think I got the effect that I wanted here. The oily hinges and oily axle boxes and W-irons are represented with H53 gunmetal.

I tried a bit of talc on the W-irons to give a bit of rough texture, but that didn't work too well, so I used the "gunk" from the bottom of the brush cleaning pot instead - that looked a bit better.

For the inside of the body, I used H29 dark earth followed with H121 pale stone to give a light dusty appearance.
Again, I don't think that I have achieved the look that I wanted but it is reasonably close, and when the load is in place, it won't show too much.

The load comprises Tamiya oil drums and jerry cans, Verlinden oil drums, S&D tools, Cliff Barker 1/32nd scale sleepers and a scratch built lineside cabinet. For the oil drums I found that H70 brick red looked quite rusty on it's own and looked even better with a wash of H29 dark earth. The damaged oil drums were given a wash of H53 gunmetal. A black & white oil drum was given a H53 wash, but it looked too "speckley" on the black, so that was removed. The sleepers were painted with H64 light grey then dry brushed with H110 natural wood and Railmatch 406 sleeper grime.

I tried using some Tamiya acrylics, but didn't like these really. The 2 short planks are painted with XF15 flesh with a wash of Winsor & Newton burnt umber.

I liked using the enamel washes and found that a wash could still be worked with or removed even if it had been on the model for a few days - though it did take a bit of elbow grease to remove after being on for 10 days.

As for the acrylics, I found that these dried too quickly, were a bit too watery, and tended to lift if touched up before drying fully.

Overall, I think I've got the appearance that I wanted, and it was quite enjoyable once I had figured out which colours to use to achieve the effect I was looking for.

Roger

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger. Looks lovely to me, and you can come and run it on my 1/32 garden railw
ay anytime...... (I just need to build it first!). Seriously tho, very nice wagon n load:thumbs:

Thanks Ian,
the model is supposed to represent a dilapidated wagon that has been shunted onto a remote siding and forgotten about. However, it is still robust enough to venture out onto the main line behind a D6300 or D800.....!!

Roger

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Roger, it looks great - I'll try and lay it a siding:))

What are you building next?:D

Simon

Simon,

I still have the Loriot / Lowmac WE to finish off, then perhaps I should carry on with D817 Foxhound. That's been in the box for a few years now and needs painting and weathering.

Roger

Simon

Flying Squad
Foxhound is the only "Warship" that I have a clear memory of seeing, heading through Bath Spa one evening after school in its shocking maroon livery with full yellow ends on a westbound freight.

Great to see progress on your lovely models, I still haven't weathered my "Toad".

Simon

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hi Rog
Well well what do I see before my eyes !! A Fry model weathered !! (rub eyes and then take a look again) my God its still there !! it really is a weathered wagon from Roger. Joking aside Rog you have do really well for a first effort it truly enhances and brings to life this lovely scratchbuilt wagon (Next stop MRJ). I look foward to seeing it the flesh, oh and by the way the Worcester Rd shed foreman said he would like to have it to visit.
I read with interest how you Weathered your 10t ballast wagon (at least thats half the MRJ article written !!).
Whats up next for weathering? VW Beetle !!
Cheers
Mr TV

Well, I think that I can say that I have finished the weathering of my GWR 10 ton ballast wagon. It's not up to Welsh Wizard standards, but I'm happy with it for a first attempt.

View attachment 9820 View attachment 9821

Here's the load that will be "thrown" in!!
View attachment 9822

And here is some of the load in the wagon
View attachment 9823

I don't want to "teach grandmother how to suck eggs", but if anyone is interested in how a novice went about his first weathering project, let me know.

Roger
Well Roger I think they look OK for a first attempt, now that you have started to do weathering and by the sounds of it, enjoyed it, then you must do more. Well done!!

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Hi Roger
Great job on the wagon :) Really pleased to see a successful outcome, you were a bit unsure about it at the G1MRA do last year so its nice to see you've had a go, and done a 'tidy job' as it were :D

No more factory fresh stuff then....;)

Steve

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Steve,
Thanks for the comments, and yes, I don't think that I will be doing much more of the ex-works, factory fresh look from now on!

My next weathering job will hopefully be a 21 ton coal hopper in 1/32nd scale:-

21 ton coal hop 1 resize.jpg

21 ton coal hop 2 resize.jpg

21 ton coal hop 3 resize.jpg

The sort of appearance that I will be attempting can be seen on page 9 of the Bradford Barton pictorial survey "BR Standard Freight Wagons".

Roger

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Very nice work!, is that a kit?, if so which range please, if not, then congratulations on your scratch building skills.

Kindest