4mm Ruyton Road revival

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I really like this GNOS 4 wheelers....haven't heard of Prickly Pear but will have a look. Oh no another distraction!
All the best Steve
Julian

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,
I've just been catching up with this thread (and the one over on the Dark Side). Its really wonderful to see this classic layout saved and being given a new lease of life.
I'm very interested in the interlaced sleepering on the new P4 points. I don't know an awful lot about the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - was that something that they tended to do? (I need to do a bit of research!) I'm planning a Shropshire light railway micro layout to be started soon (baseboards from Grainge & Hodder on order), but not sure whether to go completely freelance or go down my usual "fictional branch of a real railway" route.
I presume that Ruyton Road is remaining part of the S&MLR? How do the GNoS carriages and Black Hawthorn 0-4-0ST fit in?
Thanks for the updates and great pictures, please keep them coming!
All the best, Mark

paulhb

I really like this GNOS 4 wheelers....haven't heard of Prickly Pear but will have a look. Oh no another distraction!
All the best Steve
Julian

Thank you Julian. Prickly Pear is Paul Tasker who appears at a few shows, eg Expo EM and Scaleforum and perhaps a few others. He doesn't have email or a web presence but contact details can be found here - supplier.text - 4mm scale model railway manufacturers and suppliers

He does three GNoSR coaches plus a number of PO wagons in both 4 and 7mm. There is a short article on building the four wheel first in MRJ 153

Regards Paul

paulhb

Hi Paul,
I've just been catching up with this thread (and the one over on the Dark Side). Its really wonderful to see this classic layout saved and being given a new lease of life.
I'm very interested in the interlaced sleepering on the new P4 points. I don't know an awful lot about the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - was that something that they tended to do? (I need to do a bit of research!) I'm planning a Shropshire light railway micro layout to be started soon (baseboards from Grainge & Hodder on order), but not sure whether to go completely freelance or go down my usual "fictional branch of a real railway" route.
I presume that Ruyton Road is remaining part of the S&MLR? How do the GNoS carriages and Black Hawthorn 0-4-0ST fit in?
Thanks for the updates and great pictures, please keep them coming!
All the best, Mark

Thank you Mark,

There are some photo's that show interlaced points as well as others that indicate otherwise so bit of a mixture! One of my interests in the Highland Railway which extensively used interlaced turnouts so building several for Ruyton was a a good learning experience. They are also in keeping with the idea of a backwater light railway. Ruyton is very much a twig off a branch similar to the Criggion line, and although I do have some more appropriate stock including items that still need to be built I have also taken some liberties! So in my world the GNoSR carriages were sold off by that company to the quarry and used for a quarry workers train. Like wise the Black Hawthorne is used alongside the Sentinal as a quarry engine.

Good luck with your project and looking forward to seeing progress.

Regards Paul

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Thank you Mark,

There are some photo's that show interlaced points as well as others that indicate otherwise so bit of a mixture! One of my interests in the Highland Railway which extensively used interlaced turnouts so building several for Ruyton was a a good learning experience. They are also in keeping with the idea of a backwater light railway. Ruyton is very much a twig off a branch similar to the Criggion line, and although I do have some more appropriate stock including items that still need to be built I have also taken some liberties! So in my world the GNoSR carriages were sold off by that company to the quarry and used for a quarry workers train. Like wise the Black Hawthorne is used alongside the Sentinal as a quarry engine.

Good luck with your project and looking forward to seeing progress.

Regards Paul
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your post. I'll have to have a closer look at the S&MLR trackwork in my copy of Illustrated History - it's not something I'd thought of but certainly cries out "light railway"! We're the point templates generated on Templot?

I've no issues with massaging history slightly and the GNoS coaches look grand. I love the HL Black Hawthorne, and I'd really like one.

For my light railway project, I've not decided whether to go freelance or to go down your route with a fictional branch line off the S&MLR. I do like those ancient Manning Wardles..... RT Models will help there!

All the best,

Mark

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Great videos - my thanks to everyone who found them! I love the soundtracks, too, somehow evocative of the time and place the layout was set in. Very much looking forward to seeing it fully rejuvenated!

Kind regards,
Mark

stevehowe

H Paul,
I saw Ruyton Road many times at shows in its original guise and always found it fascinating, good luck with its regeneration! I was interested in the Col. Stephen railcars in the video, any idea as to their origin?

Steve

paulhb

We're the point templates generated on Templot?

Hi Mark

A good friend did prepare a Templot plan for Ruyton which was useful to determine clearances. The turnouts were however built on standard plans on the bench. First task was to make the crossing as a unit. The timbers were then glued to the plan which had been copied to thick paper, 150gsm if I remember correctly. The straight line timbers were laid first followed by the turnout line ensuring the timbers were correctly orientated. The crossing could then be fixed in place before adding the other rails using gauges. Hopefully the photos make things a bit clearer.

Regards Paul

Turnout1.jpeg

Turnout.jpeg

Turnout2 (1).jpeg

paulhb

H Paul,
I saw Ruyton Road many times at shows in its original guise and always found it fascinating, good luck with its regeneration! I was interested in the Col. Stephen railcars in the video, any idea as to their origin?

Steve

Thank you Steve.

The Railbus model is from a Taurgem Models kit produced I think in the early eighties and now like the proverbial hens teeth although I did manage to acquire one a few months again on Ebay for a reasonable price.

Regards Paul

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark

A good friend did prepare a Templot plan for Ruyton which was useful to determine clearances. The turnouts were however built on standard plans on the bench. First task was to make the crossing as a unit. The timbers were then glued to the plan which had been copied to thick paper, 150gsm if I remember correctly. The straight line timbers were laid first followed by the turnout line ensuring the timbers were correctly orientated. The crossing could then be fixed in place before adding the other rails using gauges. Hopefully the photos make things a bit clearer.

Regards Paul

View attachment 167462

View attachment 167461

View attachment 167463
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the explanatory notes - that makes perfect sense and the photos illustrate excellently!

I'm sort-of just getting to grips with Templot (and wow is it clever!) but although I've seen methods of interlacing described I'm no way that far advanced So to see the points constructed this way makes perfect sense.

Many thanks once again and best regards,

Mark

paulhb

Fiddle yard, wiring and cross baseboard connections recently completed so I can test run engines and some stock fully end to end. Or in technical terms have a play! Two controller sockets have been installed and wired in so am able to operate from front or rear.

IMG_4556.jpeg

RodneyS

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul
May I ask for a view from the front and both ends please? I know this may interrupt "playing trains" (sorry!) but it is a very lovely achievable model. I like the little station building and light railway platform.
Thank you
Julian