Shear luck rekindles enthusiasm

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Late last year, I posted about the two accidents that befell my Jubilee, 45701, Humpty Conquerer. The incident really knocked my enthusiasm and I haven't done any significant modelling since.
However, the other day, my foot brushed against something catchy in the carpet pile in an area of the modelling room that i don't normally set foot on. Investigation revealed a strip of partly painted N/S, about 8 to 10 mm long and 1.5 to 2 mm wide. Closer inspection found that it had a partially filled hole near one end and two ha;f etched fold lines, one either side. Low and behold, it was the missing brake hanger bracket which i had noticed had come off the middle RHS brake hanger. It had been squashed flat but the discovery has rekindled my enthusiasm. It has been re-formed to shape, the hole cleared out and is now fitted back in place, admittedly just using superglue rather than solder to the brake hanger, as seen below. A touch off paint is required and the cylinder/valve gear assembly, removed to give access to the bracket, needs to be re-fitted.
Hopefully, this will inspire me to get on with the remaining repairs.
Jub_018.JPG
Dave.

Daddyman

Western Thunderer
That torque reaction link has also inspired me to get my Y7 chassis (stalled for a year) finished, so thanks - and good luck!

Dave F.

Western Thunderer
Thats also a good idea to have a wiring pcb attached to the gearbox, I usually have it underneath where all the plunger pickups are wired to.

Dave F.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Back in March, last year, I reported on finding and re-fitting the missing brake hanger bracket. Since then, no work had been done to the Jubilee until today. In anticipation of meeting up with David Clarke, who paints and weathers my recent models, so that I can return his Brassmasters Jubilee on which I had done a repair, I thought it would be a good idea to get Humpty to a state where the paint can be touched up on the repaired and replacement parts.
Jub_023.JPG
The chassis has been re-assembled (forgot to paint the brake hanger bracket), the footplate unit has had the cab neatened up and the backhead re-fitted, new sealing strips along the bottom of the firebox (new etched parts) fitted and the replacement tender gangway doors (seen previously) fitted and a loose fire iron re-fixed.
Ready to hand over next Saturday (Define Exhibition near Derby).
Dave.