Simple loco to fill a space!

Locomodels

Western Thunderer
As an alternative to soldering to a metal substrate I usually stick it to thick, 20 to 30 thou, plastikard with double-sided tape. It also makes it easier to file it before removing it from the plastikard. Additionally, when cutting straight items, use the saw at 30 degrees or so to get more teeth in contact with the metal.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
A bit of space became available today while the paint on another project dries. I got started on the tender.
This engine dates from 1865, but was still running in 1910, and was quite basic. Just a horseshoe tank on a wood and iron sandwich frame with quite basic axleboxes and springs hidden inside. The loco has no brakes and those on the tender have wood shoes.

I started by soldering the 15thou plates for the side frames together and then glued a copy of the drawing onto the stock. A pleasant! session with the piercing saw and a classic Hancock episode on CD got them cut out and the holes for the bolts drilled before separating, soldering wire into all the holes and dressing them off. I had made the buffer beam at the same time as the loco one so if was a simple job to assemble the frames.

image.jpeg

The axleboxes will be castings made earlier on my home casting machine, see the thread on casting advice. The wheels are mounted on a sub frame incorporating inside bearings with one axle pivoted to give 3 point suspension.

image.jpeg

The brakes are mounted onto the 14ba tapped tube soldered under the subframe and are quite basic constructions of strip and tube with the shoes cut from a piece of brown plastic salvaged from a broken school tee square. The shoe was araldited onto the hanger.

image.jpeg

That's all for this space, back to painting tomorrow.

Ian.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
classic Hancock episode on CD got them cut out and the holes for the bolts drilled before separating

If I was listening to Hancock I'd stop modelling as there wouldn't be a straight edge too many snapped saw blades from laughing so much :)) :rolleyes:....

Having been sailing from Malliag up to and around the Kyle of Lochalsh recently I'm quite tempted to model the Highland Railway. Not quite the Sou' Western though.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Having been sailing from Malliag up to and around the Kyle of Lochalsh recently I'm quite tempted to model the Highland Railway. Not quite the Sou' Western though.

Dave,,

All 5 of the Scottish pre group companies are worthy subjects to model and each has its own attractions. I chose the Sou'West because of the inspiring writing of David L Smith who chronicled the experiences of the men who worked the railway and brought it to life unlike other contemporary authors who tended to concentrate on technical details and hero worship. That is why my model of 254 has an eel in the tender tank!

Ian.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
image.jpeg

It's been a wet day so no painting but a bit more progress on the Fower Wheelers tender.

I got the body assembled. It's quite a straightforward rectangular tank with a horseshoe shaped coal space. The sides are 15 thou riveted along the bottom and ends and a 5 thou rebate milled from the top edges to take the 10 thou flairs. A bit of 1/2 round brass soldered to the top edges form the beading.

Next job is to turn up a filler and make the stools for the water bag but that will be for another day.

Ian.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Now that Summer is past and time spent at Telford and Italian holiday with no real modelling done this month. Next week is our Real Ale Festival which will be full time so I have had a wee bit of relaxing workshop time last night and today. Rather than get on with the big project I have got a bit more of the 'Fower Wheeler' done.

I have fabricated a few rods and shafts for the dummy inside motion, not a lot can be seen with those big sandboxes, but there needs to be something to block the view through the frame cutouts. I have to admit that what you see is more a sketch than an accurate model of the motion as I only have a frame plan which positions the motion bracket but nothing else. The general layout is taken from a GA of an 0-4-2 of similar vintage so I am happy with the appearance.

With the frames finished and scrubbed up with Viakal to get rid of any grog I just dropped it into the blackening bath and as there was space the tender went in too.

image.jpeg

If I get more time this week I will get the cab fittings sorted out. As it's an early engine with no steam brakes and only one injector there isn't a lot so the end is definitely in sight.

Ian.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
It's been a good day today, well it rained, and I didn't need an excuse to stay indoors! So a good day in the workshop.

The boiler backhead is just a shaped piece of sheet with a length of 3x1.5 brass bent round, soldered and then the edge rounded to simulate the brass cladding the G&SW used to cover the shoulders of the firebox back. Once painted the brass can be burnished. There is a captive screw soldered onto the back to hold it in the cab once everything is painted.

The reversing lever and reach rod slips into place after the backhead is in place and the wire goes through the footplate and is bent over to lock it in place. All the other fittings will get a final polish before fitting with a drop of glue. I did make the regulator, a standard Stirling type pull out, but forgot to include it in the photo.

I have now scrubbed up the body and put it into the blackening bath. I will fish it out in the morning when it should be a nice solid black.

I won't be doing anything else until after the beer festival when I hope there will be a nice warm spell!! So my next post here should be of a finished and painted loco.

Ian.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

The weather has been kind and I have managed to get the loco painted. I primed her with Precision etch primer from the airbrush and then sprayed the buffer beams red. After masking I applied the green, Brooklands, from a Halfords can. The rest was brush painted Humbrol satin black. Lettering from G&SWR Assn dry print and works plate came from Bill Bedford years ago. I gave her an overall spray of dirtied Ronseal satin to tone down the freshness a little. She is near the end of her working days after all!

I took a quick photo on carpet hill this morning but the light wasn't too good.

IMG_0788.JPG

Got her coming back too!

IMG_0791.JPG

Back to the bigger stuff now but I will need a new mini project to fill in the little spare time slots.

Ian

simon.bolton

Hi Ian, that's a lovely model. I know it's been a while since you last posted here, but could you tell me if you used a drawing at all? Cheers Simon

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian, that's a lovely model. I know it's been a while since you last posted here, but could you tell me if you used a drawing at all? Cheers Simon
Hi Simon,

We have never been able to locate a full GA of the Fower wheelers. However there is a frame plan and tender drawings in the OPC collection at the NRM. Photos of the prototype are few but a really good one of R47 turned up a few years ago which enabled me to make a working drawing. A bit of previous knowledge of G&SW locos helped with the details.

Ian.