Southern Pacific Remembered

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Thanks! Speaking of which, does anyone watching this thread belong to trainorders.com? I just rejoined, mainly to access some old material but I feel sure I will get involved eventually. My previous name there was Focalplane but in reregistering I decided to use Paul_Ashton. My old input was mostly about European Railways.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Two second hand SP books arrived today. First a duplicate copy of Dunscomb’s Century (much too heavy to carry between countries) and a very nice copy of Diebert and Strapac, the steam locomotive compendium. The latter is new to me but very comprehensive and an excellent companion to Dunscomb.

My SP library is not complete but it does have the essentials for steam and diesel eras. Here are the front covers:

61279698-736A-423C-AE38-E30AAC57F24D.jpeg188F7E75-2A8A-4820-AB2D-499210EDA304.jpeg4D9F2404-7932-46FC-8FFC-2DDF8570EED8.jpeg3792EF30-4FB6-4F6A-BFA7-F96A01F99E4C.jpegB7491180-3E30-4056-A13A-434DD84172D5.jpeg9C21EBB7-ED62-489C-99A4-BBEC56107412.jpeg

Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I bought some photo albums during my interest in USA Railroads in the 1980's covering Cajon Pass etc. Reproduction was better than anything I had seen in the UK at the time plus the photography interested me because of its emphasis on the landscape rather than choo-choo's. It altered my thinking for a short while and I bought and 80-300 APO lens as a result.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Larry, you are right about the scenic photography. There is a classic photo of 4449 when in Freedom Train colours in 1976/7 hauling the train west of Alpine near Paisano Pass, the Sunset Route’s watershed. The train, long as it was, was just a part of the scenery. I’ve been looking for the picture but so far it has eluded me. Many SP scenes in the Pacific Northwest include Mount Shasta, one of several volcanoes (St Helen’s, Hood are the other two IIRC).

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I also have a copy of the Guy L Dunscomb 'bible' acquired many years ago when I was modelling SP in HO scale and still have the brass SP C9 which came from an ex-SP employees estate.

C9.jpg

...when I first opened the cover I found it was autographed by the author.

Dunscomb.jpg

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I bought my first Dunscomb at a model railway show at the Astro Domain in Houston around 1993. It cost me $200 back then! The second one cost a lot less!

A signed copy though, that might be valuable. It’s interesting how popular the Espee remains even today.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I think it depends on the era. By the time of the diesel dawn on the SP, most signaling (dispatching) was probably by radio. Hiwever, when steam predominated I imagine basic signaling was the reason for their existence. But again, anyone with more knowledge is welcome to comment.
Not so, I think you'll find SP were still issuing head end and caboose paper train orders in the 70's and possibly into the 80's in some places.

There are also significant areas of the US (certainly back then) where radios didn't work, called 'dark territories'.

I know the I40 between Needles and Barstow has no mobile or CB coverage in 2019, if you need assistance then you wait for the hourly patrol to help, but it only runs in basically daylight hours, overnight you have to wait for day break of some good soul to pull up and hope they relay your predicament at the next service station.

Route 66 over the same area has no coverage and no patrols, it's still very much the wild west out there with regards to technology.

An unwritten code of conduct on Route 66 is to put your hazards on and lift your bonnet, pretty much almost everyone will stop if they're aware of the code and assist, I've seen it happen numerous times whilst out there rail fanning. I always stopped, fortunately so had others before and help was on it's way.

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Mick, your description of the Wild West is very true! One of our favourite places was Big Bend National Park, located south of Marathon. We stayed at the Gage Hotel after driving across Texas, then went due south toward the Mexican border. In early times camping was safe but we were still questioned of our whereabouts by a Park Ranger when a body was found at a wild camp site in the next canyon. The Ranger said he thought it was a murder and I asked if I should load my pistol. He agreed I should though a loaded weapon is illegal in a National Park. The case was eventually solved. It was indeed murder.

Later we were advised not to camp along the River Road adjacent to the Mexican border. Drug trafficking was the reason. My business partner of many years decided to retire and ran for office as a Constable in Bandera County. He volunteered to work with the DEA on stake outs at motels, etc. I used to visit him from time to time, wild country indeed.

When driving across the west, water was the first thing to pack into your trunk, plenty of it. Not drinking water when hiking killed many a visitor, we learned of a Frenchman who died of dehydration in Big Bend with an untouched supply of water in his back pack. Keeping a reserve of fuel was always a good idea when going off road, but you could survive a breakdown with plenty of water.

I read yesterday that one of the reason the SP remains popular is the variety of terrain the system covered, from the hottest deserts to the highest snowbound mountains. It embodies the Spirit of the West.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
It's an Athearn bay window caboose, acquired during the mid 1980s for $4.99. I added Kadee #5s, they cost another $1.20! The addition of glass in the windows would be good. The body comes off easily.
Oh happy days, and a reminder of one of the reasons some of us turned to the Dark Side back then. An Athearn loco was half the price of a Hornby or Lima diesel, but was a world away in terms of performance & decent couplers!!

I've never been that keen on bay window cabooses. No idea why, I really can't explain it, but much prefer cupola & wide vision types. :confused:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Well, I nearly would have bought the book, Dave, but it covers only switchers west of El Paso. If one comes available I will probably buy it if at a reasonable price plus shipping, but a good part of the book will, I am sure, have photos of switchers at work, with no photos of the T&NO. But thanks for the tip! Paul

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Paul if your interested in the T&NO then these two books are worth having;
P1010644.JPG

The McLennan book is and excellent book ,complete history with lots of pictues and maps.
The other one is pretty much a straight roster book for the T&NO diesel fleet.
Brian.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Well, I nearly would have bought the book, Dave, but it covers only switchers west of El Paso. If one comes available I will probably buy it if at a reasonable price plus shipping, but a good part of the book will, I am sure, have photos of switchers at work, with no photos of the T&NO. But thanks for the tip! Paul
I just picked up a good copy for £11 in the US, mind shipping cost £13 :))

Check Abe books, they seem to find copies globally, also check LindaTinker, they're closing down so a lot of US books are half price, I think I have everything I need from them now :cool:

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Can’t find a copy of the T&NO book but it is high on my search list. It is listed on the LindaTinker site but at check out it says not in stock. This really is a “must have” book for me.

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Can’t find a copy of the T&NO book but it is high on my search list. It is listed on the LindaTinker site but at check out it says not in stock. This really is a “must have” book for me.
Hi Paul,
As I read it, you’ll be able to order online again from 12.00 noon, this coming Wednesday!
Hope you manage to get it ordered.
Cheers,
John
Who was “only” looking for C&NW books!