Tales from the Tinkering Table - Brinkley Works

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Greetings all,

A few days ago, a good friend discovered a part-built Ratio Bogie Van B. He brush-painted the model, but all the brass detailing parts had been forgotten about (the model was started quite a long time ago). Brian tried to fit the parts but found it very tricky as his hands have never quite been the same since his carpal tunnel opp. I very quickly offered to finish the model by way of thanks as I have used Brian's lathe a considerable amount turning 00 wheels to P4 profile over the past few months.

Some of the photos aren't quite right as I used my phone, and it doesn't like close-up work like a proper camera.

I thought the best bet was to strip the paint off the model and start afresh.
View attachment 192521
The first job was to strip the paint with Super Strip. I then used a knife to carefully remove the clogged planks (that was a labour of love!).

View attachment 192519
The etches are very small. I decided not to use the handrails as they were just too flimsy.

View attachment 192520
I used my Bill Bedford Jig (the Scalefour Society has some of these if anyone is after one - very useful!)

View attachment 192523
End handrails on.

View attachment 192522
Bar the guard's handrail, the detailing was complete.

View attachment 192524
Into the spray booth and a coat of Games Workshop Mechanicus primer - a great undercoat for green paint.

View attachment 192525Using my Neo airbrush, I gave the van a coat of Precision Post-War SR Malachite Green (Brian models the Southern circa 1947). I spray at 20PSI and thin the paint 50/50 with their general thinner.

View attachment 192526
The body ends were painted Humbrol Matt Black - I realised I forgot to fit the vacuum and steam heating pipe. D'oh!

I am very pleased with the paint work. It has gone on very smoothly, with no gritty feeling or orange peal. I also was very happy with the Tamia masking tape!

More to follow on this one soon. The next job will be to fit the missing pipes, brush paint the chassis and then varnish.

Thanks for reading,

Nick.

Hi Nick

I thought it was just me that received these Ratio Van Bs from people in various stages of abandonment. Think I have one I made from scratch plus 4 or 5 donations...

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
Hi Nick

I thought it was just me that received these Ratio Van Bs from people in various stages of abandonment. Think I have one I made from scratch plus 4 or 5 donations...

Hi Chris,

You couldn't make it up, really! I must be mad volunteering to update these older models. Having said that, I still enjoy bringing stuff up to scratch and in Brian's case, it is nice to help out a friend who isn't able to do this type of work now (his hands just don't do what he wants anymore, which must be hideously frustrating for him).

I would definitely like some help there. The side-only repainted BCK/BSK set will be the first to be done. I did wonder if set 25 would be suitable?

Regards,

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

You couldn't make it up, really! I must be mad volunteering to update these older models. Having said that, I still enjoy bringing stuff up to scratch and in Brian's case, it is nice to help out a friend who isn't able to do this type of work now (his hands just don't do what he wants anymore, which must be hideously frustrating for him).

I would definitely like some help there. The side-only repainted BCK/BSK set will be the first to be done. I did wonder if set 25 would be suitable?

Regards,

You have a PM

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
Greetings all,

Not a huge amount of work to report as the weather hasn't been suitable for painting. However, I have almost (hooray!) completed the Masokits SR utility van underframes. I discovered about 6 weeks ago, when giving them a run on our test track, that there was a bit of slop in the axles. I modified the bearing carriers with a small 0.2mm brass washer, which as the videos below will show, resolved the problem.

All the vans need their sprung buffer heads fitting, along with the steps, and then they can progress to the paint shop.

The Van C is a Hornby model, which was converted by Maurice Hopper. I acquired it a few years ago. It needs a bit of tweaking, as the Hornby set-up seems to have a lot of resistance in it. The rear PMV is a Bachmann model, which is ridged and has Rogers/Pearce turned wheels. :D My other Bachmann PMVs will be converted to P4 the same way.

Most of this stock will run on Rod and John's Balcombe layout.

Best wishes,