technique for cleaning and painting resin models

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Can anybody answer this technique for cleaning and painting resin models?
I've done an all posts search on here which only came up with one answer and that mentioned resin but only explained for brass.

I've assumed it would be something like:
1/  Clean with soapy water.
2/  Dry off.
3/  Undercoat [Halfords grey primer].
4/  Paint with [oil based, water based or Acrylics] which, any one better than the other?

Thanks

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
The list you have posted is fine but the last one about the paint is ok but i have also used Railmatch aerosols and as long as you do the preparing well, eg wash and primer then it should'nt be a problem :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
The most important thing is the first clean to remove any of the release agent. Soapy water is fine, I also give a light scrub with shiny sinks.

hoppy504

Western Thunderer
Slaters recommend Cif (ex.Jif) for cleaning their resin bodies.
Then a light mist from a car aerosol spray for priming.
John.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Thanks for posting about this - very useful info, and highlights the step I've been overlooking (washing the parts!), and hence probably why I've struggled a bit with painting some resin details lately... :scratch:

Of course, the topic has come up after I've done my painting... :vista: :headbang: :shit:

:)) :)) :)) :))

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Clean before using it, Cillit Bang the degreaser, build then clean again with Cillit Bang, car aerosol primer (if you can get it the one for plastics) but if its in a mixed media kit etch primer then top coat.

OzzyO.

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Thanks gents.

These cleaners don't leave any residue behind after cleaning and it's a PAINT GO straight after cleaning - yes??

Thanks again.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Barnaby said:
Thanks gents.

These cleaners don't leave any residue behind after cleaning and it's a PAINT GO straight after cleaning - yes??
Thanks again.

Well rinse and dry first and keep handling to a minimum.  ;D  :thumbs:

OzzyO.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Found this useful exchange while contemplating how to paint some large coach sides, mostly resin but with a few etched brass details- lampirons, steps etc.
I have in mind using Phoenix Precision Paints for top coats, simply because they provide both aerosols and tins of the same enamel. Handy, because I would like to spray the components before assembly then touch up after, and I have never got on with a spray gun. (Too lazy to keep it properly clean probably).
With that in mind, may I please ask whether someone could recommend a decent aerosol primer? Would Upol etch primer be OK? Alternatively, is there another top coat alternative that is recommended and available in both aerosols and tins?
For what it's worth, the top coat colour is MR red/maroon/ crimson/ lake/ crimson lake/ rover damask.
Thank you very much,
Jamie.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hi Jamie.

Found this useful exchange while contemplating how to paint some large coach sides, mostly resin but with a few etched brass details- lampirons, steps etc.
I have in mind using Phoenix Precision Paints for top coats, simply because they provide both aerosols and tins of the same enamel. Handy, because I would like to spray the components before assembly then touch up after, and I have never got on with a spray gun. (Too lazy to keep it properly clean probably).

Railmatch do of course do matching aerosols & brush paint jars as well ;)

With that in mind, may I please ask whether someone could recommend a decent aerosol primer? Would Upol etch primer be OK? Alternatively, is there another top coat alternative that is recommended and available in both aerosols and tins?
For what it's worth, the top coat colour is MR red/maroon/ crimson/ lake/ crimson lake/ rover damask.
Thank you very much,
Jamie.

Halfords primer is really nice :thumbs:

Cheers Phill :)

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thank you both. I didn't realise Railmatch offered aerosols as well. Is that Halford's primer for plastic or the ordinary stuff, or either?

John D

Western Thunderer
Would Upol etch primer be OK?

This stuff is brilliant I use it all the time now .....I'm sure I've read it somewhere that the standard Halfords stuff is not now as good as it used to be due to them 'changing the formula' In the other place there's mention on one of the forums about a aerosol etch primer that is black which a lot of people quite like, it dries apparently like Halfords satin black and really sticks .......can be found on e-bay by putting 'etch primer black' in their search bit...... IF you do decide to use the Upol stuff a breathing mask is vital as the fumes are definitely NOT user friendly

28ten

Guv'nor
Thank you both. I didn't realise Railmatch offered aerosols as well. Is that Halford's primer for plastic or the ordinary stuff, or either?
Its just Halfords Grey primer. its biggest plus is that is sands easily. my favoured combo for resin kits is Squadron white and Halfords grey, lots of water and a few sanding sticks.
I also like Vallejo primers but you need to be careful sanding them. Mr Surfacer is also good, for smoothing our moulding marks and sinks

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Its just Halfords Grey primer. its biggest plus is that is sands easily. my favoured combo for resin kits is Squadron white and Halfords grey, lots of water and a few sanding sticks.
I also like Vallejo primers but you need to be careful sanding them. Mr Surfacer is also good, for smoothing our moulding marks and sinks

Cynric,

Where in the UK can I get hold of Mr Surfacer primer? I've got some US diesel kits here that would benefit from it, I think...

Steph