The Chronicles of Canary Sidings - Eastern Eccentricity in EM

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Hello George,

Wonderful! I've spent some time this evening catching up with your thread and enjoying your weathering snaps. You've done a great job here and your efforts have reaped rewards. I'm also glad you like the Modelu figures too for the crew, and that you enjoy painting them. I'm the same as I find it very relaxing to while away an evening.

Chris

simond

Western Thunderer
I thought Llywodraeth Cymru or Senedd Cymru had banned 'Spiffing'
The French Language institute banned lots of anglicisms, until their judicial system found that this contravened the individual’s constitutional right to express themselves in the manner they chose. There were lots of strikes, and rude words, until it was all resolved.

About 1991. Most amusing as a regular (anglophone) visitor, though, to be fair, despite a reasonable grasp of the French language, a little difficult to follow on the radio.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. They are very very much appreciated and encouraging.

510 isn't quite finished but you can now have a look inside the cab

IMG_20240303_183805510_HDR.jpg

I think it is magnificent but also mad that you can now get a 3D printed oil can and even more amazing that I didn't loose it trying to fit it to the loco

Last edited:

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
510 is complete!

For the first time in recent years I have actually finished a project! Woo hoo!

IMG_20240304_104513301_HDR.jpg
The finishing touches are these the later style of GER headcode disc. Superbly produced by 5522 models. Thanks @Flymo748!

IMG_20240304_104522367_HDR.jpg
The GER at its height had over 200 different headcodes. Each loco getting equipped with 4 discs. 3 green and one red. All of these where white on the reverse.

According to the appendix to the working timetable in 1899, the year 510 was built, She is carrying headcode 10. A train classification code to be used only when there were no route specific codes in place.

This means and I quote:

10. Ordinary goods, empty truck or coal train stopping at intermediate stations.

Seems appropriate doesn't it

IMG_20240304_104552761_HDR.jpg

2024.05 - GER B26 class #407 - Painting

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
So hot on the heels of 510 comes 407. Not one to be out done by her larger cousin the goods yard pilot is now painted.

IMG_20240305_172419061.jpg
Well that's what I assume her duties will be...

IMG_20240305_172439938.jpg
Same drill as before. Citadel paints applied with a brush, fox transfers and my own artwork for etched plates.

IMG_20240305_172430129.jpg
Just needs a dose of weathering now. Although my aim is to give her a slightly lighter dose that 510 as the expectation is that she will pick up less muck in a yard than on an open road and maybe she will get a better rub down than her cousin as the crew might have more time between duties or on the other hand they might just spend all that time drinking tea?

CRW_2678_RJ.JPG

I've allready featured the next two images but I make no apologies for reminding us all of what the model was like when it arrived in 2011

IMG_20231227_192927025.jpg
And more importantly the condition it was in when I dug it out of the storage box at Christmas.

IMG_20240305_172457631.jpg
And what a transformation. Something that is important to me is breathing new life into old models not just building new all the time. It's a different set of skills and judgements to make along the way. Perfection may sometimes have to be compromised a little but it saves something that someone else'l put time and effort into making from ending up in the bin.

Bring on the muck!

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
So in completely irrelevant news I started a new job today.... A year of stress and uncertainty is over woohoo!

In other much more relevant news #407 is now finished!

For this loco I've gone for a weathered effect that hopefully reflects the mucky environment she will work in but acknowledging the goods pilot status she has so has been cleaned more often and has picked up less road dirt than 510

IMG_20240318_181207440_HDR.jpgIMG_20240318_181116725_HDR.jpgIMG_20240318_181101436_HDR.jpgIMG_20240318_181149832_HDR.jpgIMG_20240318_181129555_HDR.jpg

Figures and details are from modelu and RT models, fire irons from Dave Basford.

IMG_20240318_181043571_HDR.jpgso there you have it a second finished loco.... Maybe I should get some track for then to run on?

2024.06 - Skeetsmere - baseboards and track bed

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Well week one of the new job has been amazing and everyone has been lovely.

A shorter commute has really helped with an increase in both modeling and DIY time so another win.

With a couple of loco's finished the attention has turned to skeetsmere again and the first thing to happen is the baseboard modules have been glued together and the fixings and alignment dowels inserted to allow the full scale of the layout to be appreciated
IMG_20240320_180335612_HDR.jpg
I would that a couple of extra fixings were required (hence the clamps) and the larger module is so light weight it can twist but apart from that I think the design concept works well so far.

IMG_20240320_180556192_HDR.jpg

It is the intention to have skeetsmere operational as part of a layout building demo at Workshop Wise in October so the clock is ticking

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I guess, the forward-sloping fascias let some integral illumination fall on the front of the model too?

This all looks really neat and thought-through :)

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
George, what equipment did you use to do the lining?
Tim T
Tim,

Not much in the way of equipment per say most of this was just done with a paint brush

IMG_20240329_153504713.jpg

Paints are colours from the citadel air range basically acrylic paint mixed to airbrush consistency which flows out of a bow pen and off a brush lovely.

Thick red main lines around the tanks were done with a bow pen then all the corners and white lines were painted on with a brush.

The black borders were then painted on by hand with a brush

Boiler bands are transfers. The black from the fox range. The red are very thin lines I drew on plain waterslide paper with the bow pen. Although this didn't work so well so I will possibly just paint them on next loco

I'm pretty sure the professional painters would cry inside reading this but this works for me....

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
So in the blurry distance in a lot of the pervious photos #151 has lurked.... As yet unfinished.... But now!

View attachment 212381
View attachment 212382View attachment 212383View attachment 212384View attachment 212385View attachment 212386
There are some imperfections in the lining but hopefully the weathering will mask these.

Still as my first attempt at lining a loco out I'm very chuffed with the results
Lovely stuff. Well done. And congratulations on the new job.

Cheers

Jan