The next CAD package?

Paul_H

One very useful aspect is that it allows the importation of stl files and their reverse engineering back to 3D CAD files.
I use Inventor every day but I do have a copy of Fusion for its stl handling capability because I also use Artec and Zeiss 3D scanners.
Sorry to the OP to drift OT, but I haven't found this functionality to be terribly reliable. Some STLs import as sensible structures, some as meshes and sometimes the file has different properties (holes, gaps or voids being revealed).
I'd guess this is something to do with how and what software created the STLs, but can it be very frustrating. Maybe I'm missing some option ?

Arun Sharma

Western Thunderer
Sorry to the OP to drift OT, but I haven't found this functionality to be terribly reliable. Some STLs import as sensible structures, some as meshes and sometimes the file has different properties (holes, gaps or voids being revealed).
I'd guess this is something to do with how and what software created the STLs, but can it be very frustrating. Maybe I'm missing some option ?
As a rule of thumb, an stl [or mesh] that has been created in a CAD package is far less likely to have holes and defects in the mesh than one imported from a 3D scanner [or unknown source]. Fusion has an option in the import dialogue to repair meshes and this should be used if the file doesn't look to have opened properly or completely.

Mike_C

Hello Herbie,

I use Fusion for my scratchbuild work and I even had a go at designing my own kit. It was an AEC Matador which I wanted for a 2mm scale diorama. Never having done any CAD before, the model probably has been produced differently from the establisher users; however, the results looked good to me. I would recommend Fusion, especially as it is free for hobbyists.

cheers,

Mike
aec_matador_refueller_01_chassis_left.jpg

aec_matador_refueller_04c_petrol_tank.jpg
aec_matador_refueller_41_k5518_fliter_query.jpgaec_matador_6x6_bowser_42a_in_hand.jpgaec_matador_6x6_bowser_43.jpgaec_matador_6x6_bowser_46.jpg

Attachments

• aec_matador_refueller_19_chassis_underside.jpg
    aec_matador_refueller_19_chassis_underside.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 2
  • aec_matador_6x6_bowser_50a_pump_eqpt.jpg
    aec_matador_6x6_bowser_50a_pump_eqpt.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2