NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Phah, 2mm is nothing, wouldn't worry about that. The addition of a back scene will show the naughty board who is boss. Carry on.

PS the top on my 5' long IKEA desk made of a kitchen worktop has a good 10mm sag in it, and that's with only 2'6" in the center being unsupported. So I wouldn't go looking at IKEA kitchen worktops as an alternative to your IKEA shelves either. :))

Evening Pencarrot.

Agree. 2mm is within tolerances and the rest of the usual boxy cameo structure may well improve on that figure.
However, as part of the post Expo-EM modelling reset, I can confirm there will a significant though hardly earth shattering change to the baseboards used on all future projects.

But let's get this one sorted first.

Rob

Western Thunderer
I think there's a lot to be said for the Peco dome end axle bearings on 4mm kit built wagons. Free running enough for the loco but doesn't go anywhere much on it's own.

My next micro layout has moved away from my ply/blue foam combo to a shelf found in the charity bin at B&Q. It's chipboard with plastic fake wood coating, so I've removed the thin plastic sides of the shelf, exposing the chipboard, to which I have wood glued some ancient picture frame material, with my framing clamps. I now think I shall gripfill non solvent glue 30mm blue foam to the top for the trackbed, with maybe a cork trackbed. It's all a bit comically experimental, so we shall see I get any warping....
Cheers
Tony

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Interesting outing up to the Lakes yesterday.

Perhaps Sozzled Sheep might be a better name:
PXL_20240522_103007700.jpg

Very clever, I see what they did there... bar/baa:
PXL_20240522_140701521.MP.jpg

Lots of sheep relatives around:
PXL_20240522_140417399.jpg

One or two beers to choose from:
PXL_20240522_141349046.MP.jpg

Interesting decor:
PXL_20240522_141226202.jpg

The type of fireplace every home should have:
PXL_20240522_145836131.MP.jpg

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
There are a large number up here who want Cumbria scrapped and replaced with the pre-1974 boundaries. We thought it had been last year but it still lives on in name only. We can but dream.
On a positive we have lots of liquid sunshine at the moment and a chunk of Cumberland has now been designated as a rain forest.
Marc

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
There are a large number up here who want Cumbria scrapped and replaced with the pre-1974 boundaries. We thought it had been last year but it still lives on in name only. We can but dream.
On a positive we have lots of liquid sunshine at the moment and a chunk of Cumberland has now been designated as a rain forest.
Marc

9hrs driving yesterday and the wipers didn't pause once. 6hrs wandering around and I'm still drying out...

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Interesting trip to Firestorm Games in Cardiff this morning. I came away with a few scenic goodies to try out. Some are for Lambsdown but a few will be added to Ewe which will be checked over next week before we head off to Minehead on the Saturday.

Rob.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Interesting trip to Firestorm Games in Cardiff this morning. I came away with a few scenic goodies to try out. Some are for Lambsdown but a few will be added to Ewe which will be checked over next week before we head off to Minehead on the Saturday.

Rob.

Ork blood?

Evening Pencarrot.

Agree. 2mm is within tolerances and the rest of the usual boxy cameo structure may well improve on that figure.
However, as part of the post Expo-EM modelling reset, I can confirm there will a significant though hardly earth shattering change to the baseboards used on all future projects.

But let's get this one sorted first.

Rob
Hi Rob.

Rather late to the party here. As usual.

I contemplated this issue a while back and figured that using strips of aluminium angle bonded to the board and screwed as well. (Drill holes in the board and fill with a grip fill, leave to set and only then use screws. For added strength use an over size drill bit then use grip fill and stuff in plastic plasterboard raw plugs and then grip fill again).

The vertical element of the L will keep the board level.

(If anybody doubts how strong that bond is I've fitted wall mounted kitchen cabinets with heavy content using the technique, onto pretty shot plasterboard walls with no real structural integrity. Years later still there and solid).

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob.

Rather late to the party here. As usual.

I contemplated this issue a while back and figured that using strips of aluminium angle bonded to the board and screwed as well. (Drill holes in the board and fill with a grip fill, leave to set and only then use screws. For added strength use an over size drill bit then use grip fill and stuff in plastic plasterboard raw plugs and then grip fill again).

The vertical element of the L will keep the board level.

(If anybody doubts how strong that bond is I've fitted wall mounted kitchen cabinets with heavy content using the technique, onto pretty shot plasterboard walls with no real structural integrity. Years later still there and solid).

Morning, Kane.

Thank you. That's most useful. I'd not considered Gripfill though a few have suggested metal angle. However, I hope that once the end boards, roof etc are added and tightened, the whole plot will square up a little more.

But, I've started on the track painting so it is not without a degree of trepidation that I will have to remove the backscene to gain access to both sides of the layout for painting, ballasting and general scenic work, pretty much until I'm ready for the show. I just hope that it doesn't get any worse while I'm doing this.

Given the bendy issue, this may well be it's only outing. It is scheduled for another in September but this wholly depends on how Wells goes.

Other than these two, I have no intention of commiting to further dates for Project W

Rob

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Screenshot_20240516-201125_eBay-01.jpeg

And on the subject of shows, Ewe is off to Minehead for Exmoor Rail in just over a weeks time so this will need checking over. I've noticed a bit of damage to the fiddle stick so this is one job that needs seeing to. I also have two new bits of rolling stock to weather having finally acquired a Hornby Toad B which has to date, proved elusive.

A few weeks later, Ewe is off to Exeter. If anyone is attending either show then please feel free to treat Ewe as basecamp for coats, rucksacks etc.

20230909_115212-02-01.jpeg

Rob

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
View attachment 216102

And on the subject of shows, Ewe is off to Minehead for Exmoor Rail in just over a weeks time so this will need checking over. I've noticed a bit of damage to the fiddle stick so this is one job that needs seeing to. I also have two new bits of rolling stock to weather having finally acquired a Hornby Toad B which has to date, proved elusive.

A few weeks later, Ewe is off to Exeter. If anyone is attending either show then please feel free to treat Ewe as basecamp for coats, rucksacks etc.

View attachment 216103

Rob
Exeter? Less than an hour away? Almost local! Pity I'm supposed to be at a meeting in France on the Friday (who in their right mind schedules a meeting for the last day of the week...? )... and travelling back down over that weekend. I'll try to make it. I don't do rucksacks. Although I recall that Matford is usually very generous for space.

Cheers

Jan

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Rob,

If you can clamp or weight the four corners of the board, so that it's flat after any works, whilst it is drying that may help to keep the board in at least the same state as it is now.

View attachment 216102

View attachment 216103

Rob
I've got Exeter in the diary. An easy journey from the wilds of west Devon.

Northroader

Western Thunderer
I have made cassettes with aluminium angle sides screwed to a ply or chipboard base. The metal will expand and contract with temperature change quite markedly, although the base doesn’t, so you can end up with a cassette that can be concave or convex in shape.