NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Well, now back from just over two weeks in the Czech Republic. Arrived home last night having left sunny Bohemia on Tuesday morning, pausing at Aachen overnight before resuming yesterday morning.

One of the highlights was the planned trip over the now reopened Tabor to Bechyne branchline. Our arrival corresponded with the start of the use of state owned"historic stock" on summer Saturdays.

Three formations were in use on the day we travelled.

A Class 113 Bo-Bo plus two coaches which appeared to be the usual branch formation.

20240810_110626.jpg

Elinka, an Electric Railcar built in 1903 for the opening of the line and still in use for normal branch services until the late 60s

1000007369.jpg

1000007364.jpg

1000007536.jpg

1000007535.jpg

1000007538 (1).jpg

Bobinka, a Class 422 Bo-Bo electric hauling two former Railcar trailers which was also in use from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

1000007473.jpg

20240810_101028.jpg

We travelled out from Tabor on Bobinka then back on Elinka.

Great fun. The weather was stunning with temperatures in the low 30°s which really gave an opportunity to thoroughly enjoy the lovely countryside that this line passes through. All services were well patronised and I know from previous trips that normal service trains are well used by the locals.

20240810_113624.jpg

( below ) The road rail bridge just before Bechyne

1000007540.jpg

The tickets for Elinka were slightly more expensive than the usual fares but it appears that a percentage goes to support the maintenance of the historic stock which is also supported by an enthusiastic ( and very friendly) "friends of " association which operate a sales stand on the Bobinka service from which you can buy merchandise and snacks ( including a pint ).

20240810_111622.jpg

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
A pint :eek: ! When I'm Europe my beer comes either in 1l, 500ml or 330ml glasses :rolleyes: ...... or did you ask for 568ml? :) :eek: :D

On the other hand a 500ml is just over a US pint at 473ml as opposed to an Imperial pint at 568ml.

A little over two relaxing weeks away, moving around a country where the people are so chilled and within one reply I know I'm back in Britain.

Thanks, Dave.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
One of the 'nice things' acquired was this lovely book on the line.

1000009106.jpg

It's very well put together with pretty much everything you would need from an information point of view to havexa decent go at constructing a layout based on the line.

1000009107.jpg

Beautifully illustrated, the text is of course in Czech but with a bit of application it can be digested and if all else fails,I can call on the in house interpretation service.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Perhaps then it's no surprise, but whilst away, I've given some thought to future projects. The result is that I've decided that one European interest is enough which means that the Italian locos will probably be sold, certainly the steam locos.

If anyone is remotely interested then send me a PM for details prior to me advertising them.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Welcome back Rob.

Thanks for sharing the great pictures. Looking forward to seeing your interpretation in miniature.

Tim.

Hi Tim, good to see you. It will be a while yet before a Czech layout emerges but I'll keep tge idea ticking over, in between other stuff.

Basic plan is for a 1980s layout. I already have a small number of suitable diesel locos and as previously alluded to, a diesel Railcar with associated trailers.

Blackwater Pier, however, is next.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
I’

I’m very much here for this …

And also this on the same subject James Hilton blog re Czech railways
John

As an update, John, it does look as if a section of the JHMD has reopened. We didn't have time to visit it this time but hopefully things will improve for our next visit. However, we did encounter a few sections of the trackbed as we travelled about and they certainly looked in good order as we passed by, which suggests work is ongoing.

Rob

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Further to the above

NEWS:

10/08/2024 – The narrow gauge railway returns to service

You can finally come and ride the narrow gauge train! After an almost two-year break, life is getting back on track. It's not an easy task, so we will open the track gradually by individual sections. It is primarily about the safety of passengers and we want to make sure that we always transport you safely. We are starting with traffic in the section Nová Bystřice - Hůrky. Come and take a ride, you will support the further saving of the narrow gauge railway. We expect that there will be great interest, so you can buy tickets in advance.

3/8/2024 – We have a safety certificate

The narrow-gauge railway administration company, which is responsible for the maintenance and operation of the railway, received a railway operator's safety certificate from the Railway Authority. With this step, we completed several months of efforts to put the track into operation. The key partner in this part of the project is Swietelsky RAIL CZ, which has made a significant contribution to the fact that the track is now in operational condition and it is possible to ride on it.

Rob

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Rob,

Good to see that you have returned from your European jaunt, I'm off on one in 10 days time, two days of which will be in Prague, one of which is a free day, any tips?