NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob.
Time to start stockpiling scenic stuff as I am now custodian of a layout in need of a greenery refresh and if it turns out half as good as yours I'll be very happy.
Rob R

Morning Rob.

That's very kind of you.

Though I have connection whatsoever with them, I much prefer using static grass and applicators from WWS in Swansea. Various fine flock comes from Woodland scenics but from now on I will steer clear of their static grass. In my experience,
it really doesn't react as well as that from WWS. For layering the fibres, I use PECO layering spray adhesive which I'm certain is a 'badged' product from WWS. On that basis, it's fair to say PECO static grasses are also badged WWS products.

Trees, I have no hesitation in recommending MBR from Poland and will be going back to them.

I've also picked up some bullrushes from Tasma Products which look the part and I'll be adding these in shortly.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Stuart D

Morning,
Water surface will be PVA as per Allan Downes, a technique also employed by Chris Nevard. Depending on the sparkly look when dry, I might well add some gloss varnish as a 'top coat'.

Rob.
I'm not familiar with the use of PVA for water, but if Allan Downes used it that's as good a recommendation as one could hope for. Could you elaborate on how it is used - diluted/neat/mixed with some magic ingedient/whatever...... or if AD ever described it in one of his many articles a pointer to that would be much appreciated.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Stu,

Regretably, I can't point you to any articles by Allan Downes.

Chris Nevard used it on Catcott Burtle and alluded to Allan's use of pva.

I just googled modelling water pva and found his blog entry.

I used good quality wood glue neat. The jurys out at present but we shall see in due course.

Rob.

Stuart D

Hi Stu,

Regretably, I can't point you to any articles by Allan Downes.

Chris Nevard used it on Catcott Burtle and alluded to Allan's use of pva.

I just googled modelling water pva and found his blog entry.

I used good quality wood glue neat. The jurys out at present but we shall see in due course.

Rob.
Thanks for that info, very helpful.

Please note, my name is Stuart, as per the signature....

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I would certainly caution against using a cheap (more viscous) PVA, which I find dries too quickly. I have started using the Peco glue that they market for the purpose, which stays runny longer, but which is fine if you can leave it to harden off properly (eg. overnight).

Stuart D

I would certainly caution against using a cheap (more viscous) PVA, which I find dries too quickly. I have started using the Peco glue that they market for the purpose, which stays runny longer, but which is fine if you can leave it to harden off properly (eg. overnight).
Thank you, Captain; that's timely advice as I do have a large quantity of DIY-shed own-brand PVA which may fall into that category, so perhaps not the stuff to use.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Tim,

Thanks. I'm going to leave it a few more days but I think it will do.

With this out of the way, I feel I've turned a bit of a corner with the layout and I can start wrapping things up, ready for SWAG.

Rob.

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Looking good Rob, I'm spending more and more time back on here now, especially this morning as the other place is None Functionale again this morning.
Keep up the good work.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Thanks Steve.

I'm not sure. Pretty certain the leaves came from Greenscene a few years ago. If I remember correctly they are no longer available which is a shame as they are very fine and provide some nice texture.

Hi Rob.

Glad you like it. Its coming together after much trial and error.

The first exhibition is just over a month away.......

Rob.