7mm The Woodhead Electrics, formerly "Spoked or disc?"

AJC

Western Thunderer
I've always felt that these Woodhead electrics made more attractive models than the real things ever were - allowing for the fact that I have only ever seen them static in preservation - and from that perspective, this thread is a treat.

Andy, I'm not so sure about that?, they certainly were not an exact match for BR blue but are definitely a darker shade than WCML AL1-6 electric blue.

Anyway, back to Heathers colour conundrum, locos were delivered in BR mixed traffic black, repainted to BR express green in mid to late 57 and names applied in 59, except 27003 which had to wait until 1961 to be named.

One last gasp on this: I have not yet (and I've been looking for years) found any written evidence or seen any photos to show that the JBs were painted in a different colour to the 4TCs or other SR EMU stock. There are quite a few pictures of the two together, after all. Even the early JBs with the rail grey strip at the bottom appear to have been the same colour as the stock they pushed or pulled and these were definitely Rail Blue (by the account of Colin Boocock, who actually worked in and, for a time ran, the paint shop at Eastleigh in the mid-60s) or rail blue and grey. I haven't expended the same effort on the AL6s but I reckon they were Rail Blue too; they were certainly different from the earlier West Coast electrics from the pictures I've seen. I know the one linked to below is black and white, but it demonstrates that point (and it a cracking shot in its own right):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45021513@N08/7600023322/in/photostream/lightbox/

I only ever knew 86s in their Anglia railways days, however.

Adam

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Adam, apologies, that was my typo, it should be AL1-5, stupid keyboard should have known what I wanted to type...not what I actually typed!;)

But, yes I agree, JB's and 4TC's were not electric blue to the best of my knowledge.

I remember AL6's when there was only three sub classes and the /4 was just being rebuilt from /0 and then right through until today where we still have them at Ipswich occasionally.

Reactions: AJC

isleofthanet

Western Thunderer
25Kv :eek: that'd be interesting LOL

Actually 'now' it is 25Kv, it was converted once the 506 EMU's expired, it's a crying shame they didn't do it in 1981.

The one on the modelling competiton I think was from the same stable as the Woodhead route, I.E. resin sides and roofs with etched cabs, the other one was Nick Dunhills on his work bench in BR mixed traffic lining, scratch built I was told and very nice too:thumbs:

I don't think anyone has done a kit 'recently' (less than 5-10 years) but I'm sure both have been available in the past.

I think MSL were the only ones to do the kits of both EM1s in two forms, Tommy and the rest plus the EM2. I seem to remember that JLTRT were looking into buying all remaining stock then reissuing them with resin bodies. I think MTK did one many moons ago also but never seen that.
The Judith Edge pantograph is better than the MSL one I remember.
The colour was Electric blue which is a brighter blue unlike Rail blue which is greener. The AL1's I built at that time are below clearly with the spoked wheels. I could'nt find any roof shots of the EM2s except the one here and the levers etc in the EM1 are not a brass colour more silver.

Regards

Al.EM2 roof   reduced  1.jpg26020 in NRM.jpgEm1  cab interior.jpgEM1 Stentor 002 rs.jpgEM1 perseus 006 rs.jpg