Those Black and White Days

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

I seem to spend all my life looking at black and white photos while undertaking research. Of late, there seems to have been an increasing desire, here and elsewhere, to try to recreate those pictures using models.

This thread is to pull together all those black and white photos of modelling excellence, a sort of old time 'how real are your models?'

There's no need to include locos or stock by the way - anything that catches your eye in black and white.

To kick off the photo-fest, I am offering Clive's J15 using Heyside as a backdrop.

P1010062c.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

Anyone remember Bredon?

I do, and it made a great impression on me at the time (RM Sept 81). Seeing this thread, Allan Wood, whose layout it was, asked me to post some of his b&w photos of over 30 years ago. I think we all forget now how seminal the layout - and the photography - was for the time. I am pleased to say that Allan is still modelling, a very valuable member of the Heyside team, and he still has the same exacting standards.

Bredon bw lra.jpg

Bredon bw 2 lra.jpg

Bredon bw 3 lra.jpg

Cheers

Richard

PMP

Western Thunderer
Hi

Anyone remember Bredon?
{ snip }
I do, and it made a great impression on me at the time
Cheers

Richard

I remember it too, I still have the original article which I look at from time to time. It was an inspirational layout for me as it showed that you could make a 'trainset' look realistic, using Peco and RTR stock, and it was one of the articles that set me on the path to where I am today.

Please pass on my thanks to Allan.
brgds
Paul

Neil

Western Thunderer
There's a bit of a tale to go with my photo.

The story starts with furniture, or maybe it starts with our move to mid-Wales three years ago. We moved from a small terrace to a converted chapel, and even though we stored a friends furniture and belongings while he sorted out his new house, we rattled about a place that felt big and empty in comparison to our previous home. Bit by bit more furniture was collected from junk shops, saleroom and the local recycling skip where anything can be had for a fiver at most and often less. Perhaps the best bargain was an Edwardian mirror backed sideboard. It's only real faults were a couple of small holes in the back, and missing drawer handles. I found it on the day I was going to pick my wife up from the train after a visit to her daughter. In fact I only just made it to the station on time as it took a few minutes to work out the best way to get both bits of a big piece of furniture into a Ford Focus.

I'm not the fastest or most enthusiastic diy-er, the missing drawer handles waited for motivation to strike. It took nearly two years for me to start looking for replacements on e-bay. As I wanted to cover the ghostly outline of the original handles, I took one of the drawers out to measure more easily. When I came to put it back I noticed a crumpled piece of paper or card stuck in the framing behind. The foreign object was a photograph, faded and torn with one word on the back, Ganllwyd.

ganllwyd tram scan.jpg