What's the Pitch for 1:32? - and what about 'Finescale' ?

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Dave, for some reason, I've only just spotted the BRMSB post, for which grateful thanks.
I had to chuckle over the re-widening of flangeways.​

Regarding damage in Glasgow, BR used to leave buffet cars unlocked because replacing the booze was cheaper than repairing break-ins. I have a feeling that some stock was deliberately stabled overnight in the suburbs, but can't swear to that.
Urban myth about leaving them unlocked but still stocked? Restaurant Cars / Buffets held overnight were either securely locked up or de-stocked at the terminating station and held in the station stores, and the vehicles deliberately left unlocked. Some depots were worse than others as far as thefts from the stocked cars were concerned and it did cause a fair amount of damage but I cant recall any that deliberately left them open.

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Bob, I don't understand enough of your grammar to be sure I've grasped your point. The trains I myself stabled in Glasgow were test trains with empty lockers, but the following is a direct quote from a depot manager in the late 1970s
(we) leave buffet cars unlocked because replacing the booze is cheaper than repairing break-ins.
I'm sure that they de-stocked as much as they could, but not every depot night goes to plan :) D

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
David, the point is that I doubt it was ever done on purpose despite what you think you were told. Cars that were left unlocked were normally empty - leaving them empty but locked caused a lot of damage for no gain by the thieves. Leaving them stocked and unlocked would have been an open invitation for nightly visits, they might as well have run up a flag and taken out an advert in the local paper.

Bob (ex-Depot Manager)