Yorky D's Küchentisch - North Eastern - Boing! said the pantograph...

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
wanted to comment upon your DB Br E69 Bo Elok which interested me.

It reminded me of a project I intended to do using various items I'd collected to attempt a model of the following ( can't recall which website it came from but very useful images )

I think this is the website Modelle & Fahrzeuge and the build Bau eines EB 1

And this one Berliner Stadtbahn

I alluded to Hamburg in an earleir post but with a bit more research ist was for the Berlin Stadtbahn.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Having acquired the Roco HO S160 I was interested to see how this compared with the DJH/Model HO kit I built around 23+ years ago....

It would appear the the DJH/Model Loco boiler is a fraction larger and sits a bit high. Something I'll have to check when I come to build the second DJH/Model Loco kit I have in my stack as a ČSD 456.1. These images are from www.modulari-bubny.cz

456.172.jpg

456.159.jpg

In addition I did finish the DJH/Model Loco kit as a Fort Eustis variant US Army livery with a larger US chimney, steam reverser and headlight together with Kadee Andrews sprung trucks on the tender.
DSCF4233.jpg

DSCF4242.jpg

DSCF4244.jpg

DSCF4246.jpg

And an insane comparison with a SP C9 in the same scale...... The C9 was a brass model I acquired years ago and was originally owned by an ex-SP employee which was a nice touch.
DSCF4235.jpg

DSCF4239.jpg

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
I think this is the website Modelle & Fahrzeuge and the build Bau eines EB 1

And this one Berliner Stadtbahn

I alluded to Hamburg in an earleir post but with a bit more research ist was for the Berlin Stadtbahn.

Hi Dave, Grahame,
I was going to offer the above website as a source for the previous pictures, it’s definitely in the style of RBD-Breslau.
If/when you get a chance, have a look at his studies of early Reichsbahn oberleitung: Die Fahrleitung der Deutschen Reichsbahn
I find it fascinating! I take a lot of inspiration from his modelling as not too many folks seem to follow Prussian railways.
Cheers,
John

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave, Grahame,
I was going to offer the above website as a source for the previous pictures, it’s definitely in the style of RBD-Breslau.
If/when you get a chance, have a look at his studies of early Reichsbahn oberleitung: Die Fahrleitung der Deutschen Reichsbahn
I find it fascinating! I take a lot of inspiration from his modelling as not too many folks seem to follow Prussian railways.
Cheers,
John

Thank you John,

I did have copious K.Bay.Sts locos and stock many years ago but when I moved I decided to have a clear out and change direction.

I have however retained one of the locos, a Roco Platin Edition KPEV P4 and some of the passenger coaches.

Here is the P4 still languishing in its box -

IMG_4879.jpeg

I found this and all the other locos to be excellent runners and would happily pull anything that was placed behind it.

G

jonte

Western Thunderer
Thank you John,

I did have copious K.Bay.Sts locos and stock many years ago but when I moved I decided to have a clear out and change direction.

I have however retained one of the locos, a Roco Platin Edition KPEV P4 and some of the passenger coaches.

Here is the P4 still languishing in its box -

View attachment 150418

I found this and all the other locos to be excellent runners and would happily pull anything that was placed behind it.

G

What an exquisite model, Grahame. I can fully understand why you retained it after that ‘clear out’!

I soon as I saw it I was quite struck, because my wife was quite taken with a Prussian(?) Ho layout at a local exhibition one year, and the locos on display were very much in the mode of the vehicle you have here. To be frank, so was I ;)

When you have the time, Grahame, may I humbly request a link or whatever to where I might find more info about this loco, and as importantly, the country/company/circa etc where it could be found (with lots of luvly piccies preferably:)) just to satisfy my nascent curiosity?

As I say, Grahame, only as and when you have the time.

Best,

Jonte

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
What an exquisite model, Grahame. I can fully understand why you retained it after that ‘clear out’!

I soon as I saw it I was quite struck, because my wife was quite taken with a Prussian(?) Ho layout at a local exhibition one year, and the locos on display were very much in the mode of the vehicle you have here. To be frank, so was I ;)

When you have the time, Grahame, may I humbly request a link or whatever to where I might find more info about this loco, and as importantly, the country/company/circa etc where it could be found (with lots of luvly piccies preferably:)) just to satisfy my nascent curiosity?

As I say, Grahame, only as and when you have the time.

Best,

Jonte

Good morning Jonte,

I too like the look of the loco when I first saw it an it was one of the first that I purchased to start a small Prussian "style" layout.

Roco, Fleischmann and others produced the model many years ago in several guises.

Here is a taster video I found which probably shows it best.

Also found this on Wikipedia .....

P4_Lok_mit_Truppen.jpg

An interesting load !

Best

G

p.s. after posting the above I did find this -
ROCO PLATIN 63302 HO Steam Locomotive Brand New never used in original packaging | eBay
one for sale but priced at £350 !

Last edited:

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,

I completely forgot to mention Trix, that is a good runner when looked after and heavy if I recall.

Amongst my previous stock I managed to acquire four of these in various guises too - ( probably unobtainable now "hens teeth" comes to mind )

image.jpg

They were all DC which I managed to convert to DCC due to the electrics mainly being in the tender with a fair amount of space for a speaker too.

The thing I liked about of most European manufactured models was the fact that the bodies were mainly die cast which helped considerably with their pulling power.

G

jonte

Western Thunderer
Good morning Jonte,

I too like the look of the loco when I first saw it an it was one of the first that I purchased to start a small Prussian "style" layout.

Roco, Fleischmann and others produced the model many years ago in several guises.

Here is a taster video I found which probably shows it best.

Also found this on Wikipedia .....

View attachment 150646

An interesting load !

Best

G

p.s. after posting the above I did find this -
ROCO PLATIN 63302 HO Steam Locomotive Brand New never used in original packaging | eBay
one for sale but priced at £350 !

Magnificent, Grahame! What a smooth runner too.

German quality at German prices, hey ;)

That said, I took delivery of my Audi in June which is about to be replaced due to an intermittent fault. I say about: the same spec would have seen me waiting till December. I received word that due to ‘production issues’, it has now been postponed until the new year :eek:

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful response btw. Worthy of further research :)

Kind regards,

Jonte

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Just faffing around getting back into some European HO modelling - DB electrics....

Recently aquired a Roco BR141 (as these were Wendezug fitted) and two n-Wagen (Silberling) - a standard 2nd and a 'Wittenberger' Steuerwagen (driving trailer) for a 2000s onwards branch line train.

The 141 will be re-numbered into a Bundesbahndirektion München allocation - just need to track down some photos of a green München 141 with DBAG logo. Both coaches are 1:87 scale length at 303mm rather than the usual 1:100 (264mm) or 1:94 (282mm) compromises.

Wendezug.jpg

At 800mm it's 200mm longer than it's 4mm scale counterpart with two 59' coaches and a SECR H :)

AL1 Class 81

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Picked up one of these recently - an Atlas Editions HO scale BR class 81 (AL1).

m6hblk6c.jpg

No sooner it was delivered I stripped it down ready for motorising. The donor power bogies/trucks, motor and drive shafts are from a secondhand Hornby Class 67 - of which the trucks are spot on for a 10' 9'' wheelbase.

AL1 01.jpg

The power trucks were re-wheeled with Hornby 14.1mm coach wheels which scales out at 4' in HO. The pantograph has been replaced with a Sommerfeldt Faively type however the contact head is wrong and I'll be addressing this in due course. Glazing has had a black marker pen ran around the edges and the underframe detail has been made into boxes then filled with lead pellets. The thin cast underframe has been strengthened with 3mm brass angle.

This photo (taken on my mobile) shows how small the BR class 81 is compared to a DB Br141 (left) and DB Br110.1 (right).

AL1 02.jpg

The respective power was Br141 2,400kW, class 81 2,390kW and Br110.1 3,700kW with the class 81 being the BR equivalent of the DB Br110.1 for mainline passenger work as both were built around the same time. The DB Br 141 was built for branch line duty. (The Br110.1 is currently on my workbench hence being devoid of pantographs)

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,
That’s looking lovely already! I have one of these Atlas editions class 81’s myself and you remind me of what I still need to do on mine. It does look very nice as it is though!
Do you have much stock for it to haul?
Mine will be mostly just old Lima mark 1 and 2 coaches I’m afraid.
Cheers,
John

Br 110.1

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
For 30 pieces of silver of the Queen's realm I recently acquired this from a well known auction site advertised as 'Rocco electric diesel locomotive' :). Whether it was a runner or not it didn't really matter as it would have provided me with a spare Roco drive - providing there were no split gears - which there wasn't.

110 01.jpg

As it tuns out the loco was originally produced for a Roco Digital start set and not only do I have a working loco but also a Roco-ESU lokpilot decoder to boot. When I interrogared the decoder on Lokprogrammer 5 it was not supported, however, I was able to interrogate the decoder on old version of Lokprogrammer. I suspect this is a v2 lokpilot as it would have been read by Lokprogrammer 5 if it was v3.5.

Anyway, to bring it up to my standards I stripped down the body, placing aside the insulators, and started to carve off the moulded handrails. These were replaced with brass wire and I've also started throwing Weinert detail parts at it - so far new buffers and coupling hook socket from my spares box. The loco I'm modelling retained it's original handrails.

110 05.jpg

I also reworked the centre window in the electric compartment so it is flush and removed the centre glazing bar. In addition the moulded windscreen wipers were carefully carved off the glazing and then polished with manicurists nail buffers to remove any last traces.

The biggest hurdle was the front end and glazing as both the Br 141 and Br 110.1 are Einheitsloks. Althought the glazing is the same size in both models the 141 windows appear larger.

110 03.jpg

I wasn't happy with the cab window surrounds so I carried out a modification using a tool made up from a piece of scrap brass to add a rebate around the front frames as seen on the Einheits cab. It did take several attempts with some help from some Milliput and a styrene template to get it right.

Not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but an improvement from the original surrounds on the left, modified in the centre and on the right the Br 141 for comparison (I also used this for the measurements).

110 08.jpg

And more parts have been thrown at the Elok, namely the waist level UIC sockets, front hand grabs, UIC buffer steps, air hoses and a relocated short antenna on the no.2 end. The low gutter is correct for version I'm modifying.

Some finer roof insulators have been installed and there is further roof detail to add.

110 07.jpg

Should Roco bring out the re-tooled Br 110.1 in verkhersrot then I'll maybe snap one up - in the meantime this will do

AJC

Western Thunderer
A proper bargain there, Dave, and nicely treated. I must dig out some of my Italian bits and pieces again...

Adam