Brushs Laser Cutting and 3d Printing workbench

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Thank you for the encouragement guys. I think I've been lucky that my first attempt has gone so well.

I do like the appearance of the second picture... please add a touch of decreptitude to the flash symbol.

Thanks Graham. I've weathered a bit more so both sides are more evenly matched up. For the flash symbol, I've a few more decals to add before I'll blast over in matt varnish to seal it. So I will make the matt a little dirty, but I don't want the flash to be too dulled.

I like the finish you have got there Phil, who's powder's mate?

Not sure mate, they are coloured chalks that I got from a show several years ago. I take sandpaper too them to create a powder. Used the wife's makeup brush and cotton buds to apply and wipe off with a little bit of spit :eek:

IMG_0736.JPG

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I fear I may have *^%* it up...

Had a terrible time trying to get the transfers on as I wanted. If anyone has a spare '2' from the Parkside kit, it would be appreciated :)

Dodgy pic below of the good side...
IMG_0737.JPG

Another of the bad side. I used a '2' from a sheet I had, but it does not really match.

IMG_0739.JPG

You can just see in the above picture where I have tried to show grease and leaking oil around the axle boxes. I'm pleased with that.

Maybe once I've sprayed over in matt it will tone the whole model down and make it a bit better.

I might be being too hard on myself too :eek:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil,

from my recollection of Departmental stock, you were lucky to even see the panel that the numbers etc were on, let alone read the numbers:eek: I would leave well enough alone and just apply a bit more weathering in the areas that have the transfers.

Great weathering so far by the way:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

cheers

Mike

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
You can just see in the above picture where I have tried to show grease and leaking oil around the axle boxes. I'm pleased with that.

Maybe once I've sprayed over in matt it will tone the whole model down and make it a bit better.

I might be being too hard on myself too :eek:

I think that you have succeeded with the axleboxes, great stuff. If you spray with matt varnish then how will that affect the shine of the detritus around the axleboxes / horn guides?

Mike's comment is very true and maybe you are being a tad too critical for the overall effect is rather good.

regards, Graham

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Spray it matt, then wack a load of crud over the numbers and it'll soon blend in, you could thicken the 2 with hand painted white with a fine brush, quite often old wagons like this have hand scrawled data done in the field to keep the data 'semi' readable, failing that, put a big scratch or ding through that panel...with associated rust etc.

I know how you feel though, no one else will know, but you will and everytime you look at it, you'll go directly to that spot, the cure for that is to finish it up and then lock it away so you cannot see it for 6 months, when you pull it out you'll have forgotten what all the fuss was about :).

Kindest

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Thanks Graham, I took on board what you said about weathering the flash and have given that a once over.

I used a thinned matt black for the axle boxes as I thought a gloss would be too bright. So hopefully a matt coat will be ok.

I'm most unhappy with the way the matt varnish has gone on the transfers and other odd bits I brushed. I think I musn't mixed well enough :headbang:

I'll try and weather those and lightly seal with a matt varnish. I'm concerned that if I don't seal it all, the weathering will just become a mess of fingerprints.

I've added a few bits and pieces to the kit to complete it. Are these noticeable? Would anyone be interested if I etched these up along with alternative ends?

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Very nice, seal it and leave it alone too much and you will spoil it. As for the transfers leave them alone they almost look in too good a condition for the general state of the wagon. Do some more wagons and distress them in the same way some with more rust and decay some with less but don't attempt to do anymore with this one

Ian

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Looks great to me phil, I would echo all the previous advice except from the spraying all over with Matt varnish as I think this does exactly what you ask of it, an over flat Matt finish. You loose any depth and texture you've tried so hard to achieve. For me that's the only problem with using powders for the majority of the weathering, you have toI seal it or you loose it! Looking forward to seeing a rake of these on WM, very nice

ATB Mick

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Is there any other way to seal the weathering powders ?.....in my experience a coat of varnish tends to ruin a perfectly good weathered finish:(

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Try sealing the powders with a very thin spray of white spirit, although it may not work with the chalks. It needs to dry almost as soon as it hits the model, don't soak it otherwise you can get white bits appearing, well you certainly do with the MIG powders, anyhow.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to use matt varnish, but use the thinnest coat possible, you shouldn't lose too much of the effect that way.

Don't worry about the 2, it's fine, wagon numbering was often less than tidy, particularly with departmental stock.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I think that looks bang on! :). The other option would have been to have left the 2 completely off and added that rust patch you have just put on, but what you have there looks great.

Kindest