7mm Dikitriki's Dark side: A WD 2-8-0

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
That's a shame, there's a Rather nice Lanky Kits kit on eBay at the moment with your name on it!

JB.

Hi JB

I presume you mean the L&Y Highflyer. I do in fact have one to do in my stash. I fancy doing, just for the hell of it, a full train in Lanky livery - the Highflyer and some Attocks. I already have 4 Chowbent coaches collected 2nd hand at £50 apiece so when I get some time.......

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Tony

The Heyside memorial bath has gone. We had to angle grind it in half to get it out - probably on a slow boat to China by now.

Cheers

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Have you thought of re-pointing with lime mortar? Not as difficult as it sounds and looks great when done.

We would have done had the stone been in better condition. There' s bricks, wood and poor repairs in the mix, and the steels supporting the timbers below are visible (all sorts of different levels in the house). The stone wall on the inside is not as good as the outside. Also, we want to reduce the dust in the room, and stone walls are difficult to keep dust-free.

The room on the back left in the top photo does have an outside wall which is in excellent condition, and that will be limewashed. There are other walls in the house that we have left as stone.

Richard

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard hope you don't mind I have been looking at your Fowler tender so I can see where the rods on the water pickup and weight-shaft go as the instructions and diagrammes on my Brassmasters kit are not very clear. I think that a couple of castings are not correct, do you have any pictures of the underneath of the Fowler Tender so I can get a better idea?

Len

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Len

I don't mind at all.

Here are some photos of a Fowler 3500 tender that I did earlier - for a crab. They might give you slightly better views:

Scoop 001a.jpg

Scoop 005.jpg

Scoop 008a.jpg

Scoop 009.jpg

Scoop 010a.jpg

Scoop 011a.jpg

If you want any more, just say. Remember too, this is my best interpretation, no more.

Cheers

Richard

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
Thanks Richard, they're great if you if have more that would be good. It's a shame there are no close-up pictures of these tenders.

Len

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi all

Still no modelling, but my man cave is coming along.

P1010169a.jpg

My workbench extends from near left to midway between the 2 windows, my wife's all the way across the back of the room beneath the far window. Should have enough light! I've also fitted wiring for surround sound - TV to left of far window

P1010170a.jpg

The far end cubby hole will have seating back left, and extractor hood +vent outside behind the pillar on the right.

We're letting the lime mortar dry out, and second fix will start Feb.

Richard

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
My workbench extends from near left to midway between the 2 windows, my wife's all the way across the back of the room beneath the far window...
How much space has been allowed for the quilting frame... the fabric stash... the pressing board... ?

You may need to stake your cave early.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Folks.

I'm back in action now. :thumbs: I've spent the last 2 1/2 months working stupid hours, really stupid hours, and done no modelling whatever. But that's finished now, and I'm going to try to take afternoons off for the next 3 months to make up for it (my business, my rules).

The hobbies room is not going to be finished until the end of this month, but I have a temporary workbench set up in the main room, and I spent last night tidying up and finding the reference sources that I had buried somewhere for the shelf queen that I'm going to be working on.

The shelf queen in question is a Chowbent Fowler 2-6-2T. It's been a take on holiday and exhibition demonstration loco, and I don't think I've ever done any of it at home; so it's never been photographed. It's another Chowbent kit that JLTRT have buried, and I really can't see why. It's not perfect, but the castings are nice, and it looks like what it's meant to.

Anyway, if the weather is good tomorrow, I shall take some photos and bring the story up to speed. I'm off now to remind myself where I'm up to.

Cheers

Richard

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
It'll be good to see you back on the bench Richard :)
I like your attitude to business too, I did something similar at the end of last year and in terms of recharging oneself, I'm still reaping the benefits now. More power to your elbow I say :)
Steve

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

It's been a nice sunny day in deepest Shropshire, so I was able to get the camera out to point at the Fowler.

The body is built on a cradle attached to the valances, so the whole thing is nice and square.

P1010176a.jpg

The only downside is that I can't try the chassis for fit, but I'd rather have the cradle.

P1010178a.jpg

All castings are brass or nickel silver, no w/m. It's got the wrong chimney on at the moment, But I have a replacement from Laurie Griffin.

P1010179a.jpg

A basic chassis, but fine. I've used the old style Slater's insulated hornguides - the loco will have split axle pick up using Steph's kite rod method as an insulator.

P1010180a.jpg

The cylinder unit has, as usual, had my adjustments to make it fully demountable. You can see from the pattern of the black hornguides visible that the cut outs in the chassis did not match the Premier rods I am using. The chassis was set using a Hobby Holidays jig set using the Premier rods.

P1010183a.jpg

Some of the cut outs in the chassis for the cylinder formers and valve gear supports are a bit of an agricultural fit. Nothing that can't be dealt with, and it's still the best kit produced for the Fowler 2-6-2T

So, that's where I picked it up last night.

Richard