7mm Dikitriki's Dark side: A WD 2-8-0

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
I like the fittings on the end of the pull rods were they in the kit or obtained from elsewhere
John

Hi John

I'm assuming you mean the clevises in the middle of the transverse brake spreaders. These are cast in as part of the spreader and come from Laurie Griffin's range. You get the 3 spreaders shown in one pack. In addition, you can get just the clevises from Hobbyhorse Developments http://www.hobbyhorse.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_80&product_id=291

Yours

Richard

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Superb bit of modelling Richard, I do like the Fowler tanks, I think it's the parallel boiler and flat sided bunker that does it!!
Clevises, that's a new word I've learnt today :) although my spell checker keeps changing it to clue is :)
Warren

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Yeah, I've turned over a new leaf. I'm going to finish the things I've started.

....probably:)

I think a trip up to see Warren may be in order.

Cheers

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

I've started adding the detail to the tank tops and the firebox and added the front sand box filler caps.

For some reason, there is no provision in the kit for wash out plugs, either cast or etched - other than the holes in the firebox....unless I drilled out the etch detail and have forgotten I've done so:).

P1010243a.jpg

It's starting to get more interesting now.

Cheers

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Looking good, must get back to my bigger brethern at some point LOL, I'd like some of those cast tank straps mind, they do look rather good.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Something is niggling at the back of my mind about these engines being known as "Surface Raiders". They entered service just after the First World War, and the silhouette reminded some people of the ships that were converted merchantmen that had attacked Allied shipping.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Looking good, must get back to my bigger brethern at some point LOL, I'd like some of those cast tank straps mind, they do look rather good.

Thanks Mick. The tank straps come from Laurie Griffin - 6 in a pack.

Something is niggling at the back of my mind about these engines being known as "Surface Raiders". They entered service just after the First World War, and the silhouette reminded some people of the ships that were converted merchantmen that had attacked Allied shipping.

Hi Heather. The nickname I know them by (or at least round the Oldham Loop) is 'breadvans'.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mick. The tank straps come from Laurie Griffin - 6 in a pack.

Richard

Thanks, I'll presume the filler hatches too, the lifting lugs I can scratch from 10 Thou myself. The bigger loco is a little more complex as the tank strap lugs are attached to the actual boiler and firebox, not the clothing and there are quite large holes in the clothing to allow the straps to exit, about 4-5 times bigger than a washout plug hole, too large not to model so to speak.

The holes may well be on the 2-6-2 but I've not researched that aspect in detail yet, there are no holes on Jintys as far as I can tell, only the bigger tanks with confidence.

Hoping to get most of my footplate valance and rear frame assembly on before Brightwell.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Mick

The filler hatches came with the kit.

I have no idea whether the tank lugs extend through the clothing on the 2-6-2. As I said, I have found decent information on this class very difficult to come by, and I have only one (somewhat less than perfect) shot looking down on the tank tops.

I am taking the view with this kit that while I will do the best I can, there will be imperfections, not least because of the age of the kit, but that the end result will be a 95% OK job.

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
The holes may well be on the 2-6-2 but I've not researched that aspect in detail yet, there are no holes on Jintys as far as I can tell, only the bigger tanks with confidence.

Hi Mick

Here's a picture of the Jinty's straps, together with hole in clothing!

Jintystraps.jpg

Cheers

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Know what you mean about top down shots LOL The cut outs on the Jinty and I suspect the 2-6-2T are neat holes in the clothing, on the 2-6-4T they are significantly larger, the Wild Swan drawings show the outline but finding a photo like yourself is very hard and this is the best I have found to date.

Image1.jpg

Although the first one is in the vent shadow it can still just be made out.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Nice looking build. As far as I know all tank straps were fastened to the boiler, as the clothing is only about 3/32" thick steel sheet.
Some of the ex Chowbent kits have been re-released, two up to now?
Any chance of a photo or two of the hobby room now that it's finished?

OzzyO.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
I was working on some lubricators today. One of those items that is sometimes omitted (nothing in this kit) but is a very satisfying bit of detail, especially if neatly done. Here's my approach, as I'm often asked what I use, and the answer usually surprises......

These are 4 way oilers to go on the front of the side tanks. The casting is from Sanspareil. I don't know how he sells them, but I get them by the sprue, with a number of 1-way to 4-way oilers. I think they are the neatest available, and all the pop marks to drill for the pipes are well-defined. I have drilled the outlets 0.4mm.

P1010248.JPG

The pipes I make from picture wire, the finer variety. Cut a few inches off, and separate the strands. You will get 6 soft brass ones and a centre steel one, which is discarded. Being soft, they will bend easily to shape, and stay exactly where you want them. They are 0.35mm, and solder readily.

P1010251.JPG

The strands are straightened out. Hold one end in a convenient clamp (teeth:) ) and pull between finger nails. Full on Heath-Robinson this.

Solder (245 deg/electrical solder) the 4 strands in and tidy up. This is an attempt to ensure the wires stay put when the oiler is soldered to the model.

P1010253.JPG

Finally, manipulate the wires to shape and solder them together in an area that will be out of sight - tucked behind the tanks in my case.

P1010256.JPG

Now you're ready to attach them to the model.

Richard

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard, I have been told that you can get the picture wire from B&Q is that where you get them from or somewhere else?

Len

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Len

Yes, B&Q, just make sure it's brass, and the smaller gauge. I must admit I haven't bought any for years - a couple of metres lasts an awful long time.

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Nice looking build. As far as I know all tank straps were fastened to the boiler, as the clothing is only about 3/32" thick steel sheet.
Some of the ex Chowbent kits have been re-released, two up to now?
Any chance of a photo or two of the hobby room now that it's finished?

OzzyO.

Hi Paul

Yes, just 2 of the ex-Chowbent kits are now available - the crab and the L&Y saddle tank. The others were available when Pete first took them over, but I don't think he's interested in steam any more. I've been trying to get a Princess out of him, and while he's released the tender, there's no sign of the engine and I know a lot of the work has been done on it.

The hobbies room is being decorated now. It is a bit behind because the builder hurt his back and had to have a couple of weeks off. Probably another 8-10 days work left. I have the cinema system in a big box ready to go, and I can't wait to move back in. The temporary bench is fine, but I can't find all my bits and pieces and keep having to stop to look for things.

Richard