G scale class 25

28ten

Guv'nor
Diesels in depth class 24/25 by David Clarke has loads of drawings and some very useful pictures you should find what you want in there

rjr

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have now acquired the correct drawings :) allowing me to continue..

SDC16824.jpg

SDC16815.jpg

SDC16820.jpg

This next shot gives a better idea of my construction methods.

SDC16831.jpg

Next up was the outline of the fuel tank

SDC16829.jpg

Following a kind suggestion I have made the bogey end of it concave to allow it to sit more off centre.

Having taken these pictures I decided something was missing at under the buffer beam, it just didn't look right and was obvious the bogies were just cladding. So some more research on the net I hatched a plan.

SDC16828.jpg

And to finish off the post.. A video of earlier in the day

Comments welcome

John

rjr

Western Thunderer
No point sitting and thinking Neil  :D  dive in get it wrong and try again ! As tonights post will show ! Thanks for the comment Rob.

SDC16832.jpg

I had a couple of hours in the shed tonight, after comparing the paper plans to what I had got from measuring the Bachmann I realised
a) the OO model is not quite to plan
b) in my enthusiasm I had made a couple of errors the main ones being the shape and position of the triangular access panel and the width left for the cab doors.

So I had to decide now I knew they were there, could I live with them, or forever think I should have done something, in the end I decided to make two new side panels out of thin plasticard and stick them over what was there.

Here is mark 2 with new sides and cab doors. In these pictures, I have placed a scrap piece of card to simulate the headcode board, without it the roof does look to be heigh, but in reality isn't. Other things to to note, axle ends and fuel tank.

SDC16842.jpg

SDC16841.jpg

SDC16839.jpg

SDC16838.jpg

SDC16837.jpg

SDC16835.jpg

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
it's a beastie wonderfull to be seen I am enjoying this thread amazing what can be done with lego these days

Ian

westernfan

Western Thunderer
hi rjr great work :thumbs: i like working with plastacard/styrene sheet i noticed the other day that slaters do an embossed sheet of rivets . i look forward to seeing your class 25 completed that will give me insentive to carry on with my plastacard railbus what type of blade do you use for cutting curves ?

Attachments

• P1010075.JPG
    P1010075.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 11

rjr

Western Thunderer
I do all my cutting with a magnusson snap of blade from B@Q. I like these as they are a good weight and I can ensure the tip is always sharp. For curves I use the same blade. I have a pretty steady hand so can follow a curved pencil line with the knife pretty well. If in doubt I cut a little full on the line and sand it back.

http://mydeco.com/p/magnusson-snap-off- ... K2TU6SX3Y/

John

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi rjr, i too am enjoying this build :thumbs: . Its amazing what can be done out of styrene sheet :thumbs: . Your progress is incredible :drool: Keep up the SUPERB work :thumbs: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Once you have built this 25 are you thinking of building another diesel ?

Rob :wave:

rjr

Western Thunderer
A Hymek would be nice ??

Tonight I have added the start of the head code boxes and then the first sections of the roof cladding.

SDC16848.jpg

SDC16845.jpg

The plan is to add a layer right over the top, (its 30thou) then rub down the high spots and do a second layer to add strength. Where the side grills are will only be one layer thick to create a recess.

Once the second layer is on, giving me a total of 60thou I will again rub down and fill in the lines.

SDC16843.jpg

SDC16846.jpg

Before the roof can be finished though I need to mount the speakers inside and feed the wire down to an old mp3 player that will be going in the fuel tank.

John

Simon

Flying Squad
This is really inspiring work :thumbs:

It might not get very far, but you have at least motivated me to get hold of a drawing of one of the railway "things" that I daydream about and blow it up to 1/32 scale.

I may stick up a post about it, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to put it into "WR Action" - maybe "Talk" would be a more appropriate place :oops: :oops:

I'm dead keen though and that's in large part thanks to this build - thanks very much!

Simon

28ten

Guv'nor
Simon said:
This is really inspiring work :thumbs:

It might not get very far, but you have at least motivated me to get hold of a drawing of one of the railway "things" that I daydream about and blow it up to 1/32 scale.

I may stick up a post about it, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to put it into "WR Action" - maybe "Talk" would be a more appropriate place :oops: :oops:

I'm dead keen though and that's in large part thanks to this build - thanks very much!

Simon
C'mon then tell us :laugh:

Simon

Flying Squad
28ten said:
[quote=""Simon"":1jb88da6]This is really inspiring work :thumbs:

Simon
C'mon then tell us :laugh:[/quote:1jb88da6]

In order not to dilute this thread I'll "come out" on a new thread :shock:

rjr

Western Thunderer
Glad to have inspired, its only joining this forum that inspired me to build the 25 !

Last night went well on the modelling front. I have been hatching a plan to add sound to the 25 but have been waiting for permission for copyright before progressing.

After searching Youtube I found a suitable clip of a 25 in action, and with kind permission from its owner have now converted the video file into an Mp3 sound only file. By using an old pair of mp3 speakers and an mp3 player that was "sleeping in the bottom of a draw unloved, I now have a sound local for no cost, and if I get bored with the 25 thrash I can alway use the loco as a mp3 music player :)

The donor film

The model

Model wise I have done some more work on the roof, the observant may also notice I have taken the plunge and cut the battery holder off the motor block, making it fit inside the bogey frames. A new battery holder has now been located in the fuel tank along with an on/off switch.

SDC16859.jpg

SDC16858.jpg

SDC16857.jpg

SDC16853.jpg

John

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Wow :eek: , I love the sound on a budget idea :D , the thought occurs to me if you had a way to change tracks on the MP3 you could have a track of tick-over & a track the loco moving you would almost have a DCC soundchip type set-up at a fraction of the cost :cool: :cool: :cool: ...........I think I may be sound recording Westerns,Warships & Hymeks this weekend :laugh:

Cheers Phill :wave:

westernfan

Western Thunderer
hi John your class 25 is coming on in leaps and bounds :bowdown: :bowdown: how many hours do you reckon that your build has taken so far ?

chris

rjr

Western Thunderer
I have no idea how long I've spent I'm afraid  but I thinkits about 12 sheets of plasticard and the 3rd bottle off solvent weld !

Tonight you will meet one of my staff, yes you thought I did it all alone !! Over time as I have been building my G scale indoor layout, a small 1:24 figure who started life as a Tamiya mechanic, became somewhat of a start on some forums and is known as "pointing man" as he tends to be somewhat critical and points at everything!!

Tonight on the way home I solved the grill problem, the local car spares shop sells aluminium mesh for body work repairs !!

SDC16872.jpg

This has been cut with scissors and stuck in, then some 10thou plasticard cut into strips to create a frame. I have also managed to get the general roof layered up to the centre point. When this has dried it will be sanded and filled with plastic padding (again from the car shop)

SDC16863b.jpg

SDC16864b.jpg

SDC16862b.jpg

SDC16869.jpg

SDC16868.jpg

John