G scale class 25

rjr

Western Thunderer
I couldn't put them off any longer, those tricky front corners of the roof !! the day started with last nights filler...

SDC16873.jpg

and then progressed with thanks to sandpaper

SDC16882.jpg

SDC16883.jpg

SDC16886.jpg

SDC16888.jpg

SDC16887.jpg

John

Neil

Western Thunderer
CME & Bottlewasher said:
[quote=""28ten"":x346juqq]I really take my hat off to you :bowdown: for the speed and standard of your work

Hi Guv :wave:

Yes me too +1 :bowdown: :bowdown:

I wish that I could work that fast!

CME :wave:[/quote:x346juqq]

I wish I could work half that fast; actually I'd be quite pleased with a quarter ....

rjr

Western Thunderer
Had an unexpected hour in the shed this afternoon, in the main I did some sanding, filling and tidying of what has already been done. Added the lights on the bottom of the cab front. I then decided a quick coat of primer would help make the bits that need filling stand out, it did !!! I did manage to get these 4 pictures without showing two many marks that need further sanding and filling...

SDC16895.jpg

SDC16892.jpg

SDC16891.jpg

SDC16890.jpg

John

rjr

Western Thunderer
Usefull observation about the corners, I will round them off, thanks..

Is there any thoughts on livery gents... what's popular...

D1054

Western Thunderer
rjr said:
Usefull observation about the corners, I will round them off, thanks..

Is there any thoughts on livery gents... what's popular...

The original green is very attractive (as per your OO Gauge model you started this topic with), but please, please, please let it be Rail Blue! (It's much easier to paint too!) :lol: :thumbs:

Nice work in double quick time, rjr! :thumbs:

rjr

Western Thunderer
Seems blue is pretty popular then !!

Next question, can anyone recommend a "rattle can" blue that comes close to the correct shade.

I know that 'Railmatch' do a BR blue, but in their small cans I could get through a lot on something so big !!

Quite often people stumble across a colour on the 'Halfords' rack that is close, is this the case here, any suggestions ??

John

Neil

Western Thunderer
I used to have a Teal Blue Marina, that if my colour perception hasn't been distorted by the intervening years was pretty close to rail blue.

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Hi rjr imo two tone green with small yellow panels , but isnt it what colour you want it ? re railmatch spray cans i sprayed my 121, which has a fairly large surface area with two coats and there was still i guess over half a can left . the jltrt cans are about ?15 so compairing them with railmatch at ?5.95 you would be better off buying two railmatch .

:wave: chris

28ten

Guv'nor
westernfan said:
Hi rjr imo two tone green with small yellow panels , but isnt it what colour you want it ? re railmatch spray cans i sprayed my 121, which has a fairly large surface area with two coats and there was still i guess over half a can left . the jltrt cans are about ?15 so compairing them with railmatch at ?5.95 you would be better off buying two railmatch .

:wave: chris
Thats a fair point, and thinking about it the JLTRT are cellulose which may not play ball with plasticard?

marsa69

Western Thunderer
This was on the MIGO site, but alas no BR blue, but I know I've seen it so I'll keep checking,

BR Maroon Vauxhall Burgundy Red - Ford Burgundy Red - Triumph Damson

BR Blood/ Custard approx colours Ford Venetian Red/ Talbot Jonquil

LMS/ Midland Crimson Lake Ford Damask Red - BL Damask Red

SR Machellite Green Ford Laurel Green

GWR Brunswick Green Peugeot Conifer

GWR/BR Green Leyland Brooklands Green - Land Rover Deep Bronze Green

GWR Cream Ford Sahara Beige - Ford Sierra Beige

GWR Brown (Chocolate) Triumph Maple or Talbot Cafe Noir

Bauxite Red Primer

Deltic Blue Lada Adriatic Blue

GNR (I) (Ireland) Ford Wedgwood Blue

LBSC Umber Rover Mexican Brown

NSR Madder Lake Ford Lacquer Red

White - Primer sold by Halford's is recommended as "sticks to anything" - it is particularly good as a base coat for resin kits.

Black - generally use Matt Black for chassis and under frames and Satin Black for bodywork.

Tips Be careful when doing any touching up as Halford?s paints lifts most varnishes

Do not spray Cellulose based on top of oil based.

Some people only use gloss as its easier to apply lining; varnish matt or satin after.

rjr

Western Thunderer
Chris, fair point the decision is mine, but as i get more pleasure out of building than running, and as I know so little about prototype stock, it really isn't critical to me what livery it ends up. As it was this forum that inspired the build and you have all been kind enough to encourage / guide I thought a paint job to match the consensus would be fitting !

Marsa 69 your a star !! and I am sure the entire list will be of help to others, thanks

John