Heather's stuff

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
And some more. I'll post some other scales, layout images and other types of models (mods permitting) in due course.

Attachments

• JLTRT DBT (1 of 4).jpg
    JLTRT DBT (1 of 4).jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 132
  • JLTRT DBT (2 of 4).jpg
    JLTRT DBT (2 of 4).jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 132
  • JLTRT DBT (3 of 4).jpg
    JLTRT DBT (3 of 4).jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 133
  • JLTRT DBT (4 of 4).jpg
    JLTRT DBT (4 of 4).jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Parkside Grampus (1 of 1).jpg
    Parkside Grampus (1 of 1).jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Parkside Plate with load (1 of 1).jpg
    Parkside Plate with load (1 of 1).jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Slaters BR brake van (1 of 1).jpg
    Slaters BR brake van (1 of 1).jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Slaters PALVAN (1 of 1).jpg
    Slaters PALVAN (1 of 1).jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Slaters SR van (1 of 1).jpg
    Slaters SR van (1 of 1).jpg
    203 KB · Views: 129

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Heather,

Welcome to the forum. I've seen some of your work close up and you model to a very high quality. I think we all would like to see pictures of your modelling during the build phases as much as the gorgeous pictures of the finished articles.

:thumbs:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Here are some 7mm scale commercial vehicles from kits. The AEC is from Classic Commercials with some detail additions and corrections; the Fordson is an elderly Phoenix kit.

Attachments

• AEC Monarch (1 of 3).jpg
    AEC Monarch (1 of 3).jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 126
  • AEC Monarch (2 of 3).jpg
    AEC Monarch (2 of 3).jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 126
  • AEC Monarch (3 of 3).jpg
    AEC Monarch (3 of 3).jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Fordson 7V (1 of 1).jpg
    Fordson 7V (1 of 1).jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 125

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Finally for today some "in progress" shots of the Mk1 SKs under construction.

JLTRT Mk1 detailing (1 of 4).jpg
Modding the dynamos with a representation of the wiring loom and the safety chain.

JLTRT Mk1 ends and roofs (1 of 4).jpg
Toilet header filler pipes and overflow strips.

JLTRT Mk1 ends and roofs (4 of 4).jpg
Toilet end detailing.
JLTRT Mk1 ends and roofs (3 of 4).jpg
Coach lighting vestibule switch conduit and commode handles.

JLTRT Mk1 body assembly (1 of 3).jpg
Interior finish and vestibule end panel addition.
JLTRT Mk1 body assembly (2 of 3).jpg
Fitting the toilet compartments.
JLTRT SK interiors (1 of 2).jpg
Toilet compartment veneer finish, unvarnished on the left.
JLTRT Mk1 paint and glazing (4 of 4).jpg
Painting and lining. Phoenix Precision enamels airbrushed for the body colour, matt white enamel via a Bob Moore lining pen for the white strip. You can't see it here, but there are the little clear visibility patches in the top section of the toilet compartment window.

Neil

Western Thunderer
Finally for today some "in progress" shots of the Mk1 SKs under construction. ... ... Modding the dynamos with a representation of the wiring loom and the safety chain. ....

Ah memories, the job that stuck in my mind the most from my apprenticeship was removing dynamos from under a Mk1. Disconnect the wires, loose off the nuts on the tensioning bar, off with the belt and under with a pallet on the business end of a fork lift. Then the split pins were drifted out of each end of the bar the dynamo was hung off before said bar was brayed out with a sledge and the biggest drift I've ever seen. You'd earned your dinnertime pints after a morning of this.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Ah memories.

Thanks Neil! I love all these memories from people who actually worked on the real thing. My other half served his apprenticeship at Wolverton Works in the 1950s, and I have to say his memories of some details have been invaluable.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Very nice Heather..

Have to ask though, is there a method for the veneer?

Would be more than suitable for teak which a couple of my coaches need..

Thankyou..

JB.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Have to ask though, is there a method for the veneer?

I've not done exterior scumble, but for the interior I do this:

1. Base coat of matt enamel (usually an earth tone/pale brown) and let it dry thoroughly.
2. With a darker brown tone, use a wide flat brush to dry brush the grain. Always work in one direction on each panel, and don't try to overdo it - as dry as possible to just show a hint of colour. Let it dry thoroughly.
3. Satin (or gloss if preferred) varnish to give a depth to the colour.

You need to mix up or match colours to the effect you're trying to create. It keeps me happily occupied for some time, usually plugged into some podcasts or something on the radio. =o)

28ten

Guv'nor
Interesting you painted the sides before assembly, im way too cack handed to mange that without gluey prints all over the place - must get back in coach mode and crack on with mine after Christmas....

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Interesting you painted the sides before assembly, im way too cack handed to mange that without gluey prints all over the place

I find it easier to handle complicated stuff like lining and glazing in the flat. It does require a bit more care in handling during assembly, but it's a method that suits me. =o)

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Ah memories, the job that stuck in my mind the most from my apprenticeship was removing dynamos from under a Mk1. >>> You'd earned your dinnertime pints after a morning of this.

Wow, dinner time pints ...that takes me back! It was 37 traction motors that worked up my thirst! Can't even think about it nowadays, but back then it was everyday normal practice.

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Painting and lining. Phoenix Precision enamels airbrushed for the body colour, matt white enamel via a Bob Moore lining pen for the white strip. You can't see it here, but there are the little clear visibility patches in the top section of the toilet compartment window.

Love the attention to detail! Colouring of the wood panelling is great!

I was wondering, how do you get the corners of the white lining so neat? Do you do them freehand, or is there a way to mark them, template maybe?

Colin

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I was wondering, how do you get the corners of the white lining so neat? Do you do them freehand, or is there a way to mark them, template maybe?

Many years back I made a set of plastic card corner templates for lining 7mm BR steam locos. By chance, one is the same radius as the blue/grey corner.

It still takes a bit of time to line things up, but I mark out carefully with a light pencil line, Bob Moore pen the corners and then join them up with straight lines. It sometimes takes a couple of goes, so a thinners-soaked cotton bud is always to hand. The ruler and templates have strips on the back to lift them away from the work so paint doesn't run underneath.

A bit of careful retouching with a fine brush tidies things up at the end.

It's all just practice and confidence really. =oD

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

Love the mk1's.

I was wondering if you had built another manufacturers Mk1's & if so, how do they compare with these?

Phill :)

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Hi Phill

I've not had the pleasure of building other Mk1 kits. I've had a chequered history with coach kits, with a couple of unfinished kits of various types littering my workshop. One day I may pluck up the courage to complete them, knowing what I know now, as it were.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

What fantastic pics of the mk1's.

If i may ask you a question, who's transfers have you used for the C1 Restriction's ?

Rob:)