Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Glad to see you’re cracking on with the layout again Chris - I’ve really missed this thread. :)

Regards

Dan

Cheers Dan, yes it's been dormant for far too long. In the meantime I've had time to think. One of the thoughts has resulted in these new buildings being substituted for the Bodmin North cottages.

In other news, it's going to be built now as a GWR BLT making use of all the RTR (as there is no suitable SR stuff).

Nope, that's not happening. :))

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
how will the lowered building ground line link with the bridge, Chris?

When in doubt bung in a big bush or tree....

No, seriously, there's going to be an alleyway behind the building rears and that path will go around the right hand side of the buildings towards where the frontage would be. The approach road to the bridge will be on embankment, so a slope down to that path. I'm also going to run steps down from the road to the alleyway running behind the wingwall. The alleyway does rise from left to right and will be about 2" above board level by the time it intersects with the bridge wingwall.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

this is Slaters random stone as supplied in the RailModel kits for Helston loco shed, sorry, I cannot make the contrast any better.

View attachment 179603
regards

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I've got many, many different products but they are either:
  1. Too formal / coursed / dressed / posh
  2. Too blocky / square
  3. Too rough, undulating a face
I'm after something that's coursed but irregularly so, with thin-long stones and has a course but fairly flat face. Don't want much do I? Done more searching on line and there's definitely a gap in the market.

I've been through my 4mm and 7mm stashed of Wills, Slaters, SEF and more I don't recall the origins of. It's a torment I seem to go through with every stone building before I end up either heavily modifying a product or scribing.

Something like this:
IMG_20230204_153819.jpg
(Extract from Bradford Barton B&W book for discussion purposes)

On the plus side parts of the building walls were slate hung in my period. I'm also increasingly convinced that the sides of the sticky out sections are actually brick. Perhaps that's me wanting to see something that isn't stone!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
To build this little building I've had to set up a new temporary workbench as the walls that flank my normal one are getting in the way.

The posh bit on the RHS has ended up going 3d first...
IMG_20230204_163303.jpg

Walls stiffened up on the inside using 10mm wide strips of plasticard stuck on end. These also provide the ledge the roof modules sit on and something for the floor to fit up to.

IMG_20230204_163428.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Chris,

if there isn’t a suitable embossed plastic sheet, how about laser etched card/MDF?

Maybe Phil, or someone else more skilled than I, could etch from a decent photo?

atb
Simon

There's definitely a market for something like that. I know Phil did a really great stone base for a signal box a while back but I recall him saying it took a long time to do because of all the textures and wobbly lines.

Wadebridge house backs - bookcases many

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
And many more bookcases installed...

IMG_20230205_125832.jpg

But the fascia flats are now really starting to firm up and the building is starting to form in 3d...

IMG_20230205_133056.jpg

Think I might crack on with the workshop that goes on the left end next.

Really looking forward to the 60 or so windows that need to be made. Thankfully it's a short terrace!

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
I would agree that the sides on the sticky out extensions do look very much like brickwork.
Sorry to say but they don't look like brickwork, just a good quality of stone work.
If the extensions were of brick why would the back wall have not been as well? That is the one to the "back street".
It looks like the building is all stone.

ATB

OzzyO.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Sorry to say but they don't look like brickwork, just a good quality of stone work.
If the extensions were of brick why would the back wall have not been as well? That is the one to the "back street".
It looks like the building is all stone.

ATB

OzzyO.

I'm not convinced Ozzy, the original photo is clearer and sides of the extensions do look very a different finish and the blocks look very regular, far more regular than the ends.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I'm after something that's coursed but irregularly so, with thin-long stones and has a course but fairly flat face. Don't want much do I? Done more searching on line and there's definitely a gap in the market.

I've been through my 4mm and 7mm stashed of Wills, Slaters, SEF and more I don't recall the origins of. It's a torment I seem to go through with every stone building before I end up either heavily modifying a product or scribing.

Too true, there's nothing suitable for what I would call semi rough random sized blocks but neatly coursed and partially faced stonework as seen locally in areas such as Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Devon, Cornwall to name a few..... unless you're modelling GW twee 'posh Cotswold' or Weĺsh slate.

Reactions: AJC