Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
An early start this morning saw the roof attacked in order for it to be finished off.

Tiles done and then super glue run around the top edges. Once set a groove was filed in the joints and round plasticard rod glued in.

PXL_20240127_081953278.jpg

To give the illusion of ridge tiles paper strips were glued each side of the plastic rod. I did the first one with super glue but this got a bit tricky on the fingers, so subsequent strips were attached with PVA.

PXL_20240127_110607362.jpg

The next bit done was to cut the lead flashing for around the chimneys from more paper. Again, wood glue used.
PXL_20240127_113043724.jpg

PXL_20240127_113052091.jpg

Next step will be to add the 3d printed guttering that arrived on the week from Modelu.

Getting there...

simond

Western Thunderer
IPA, 99%.

And I haven’t cleaned the wash tank in months. I’ll filter it some time in the spring when sitting around outside isn’t unpleasant.

I just top it up occasionally to cover evaporation and the drips when you take something out.

There are water-washable resins but I’ve not tried them.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
IPA, 99%.

And I haven’t cleaned the wash tank in months. I’ll filter it some time in the spring when sitting around outside isn’t unpleasant.

I just top it up occasionally to cover evaporation and the drips when you take something out.

There are water-washable resins but I’ve not tried them.

Does that also apply to prints bought from the likes of Modelu @simond?

(Sorry should have made my post clearer)

simond

Western Thunderer
I joined the Modelu Patreon scheme six or seven months back, so I’ve been printing the figures that come as part of that deal, and obviously wash them the way I do my own prints. Previously I bought several loco crews, loco lamps and some shed details from Modelu, and I don’t remember washing them at all.

I have no idea what resin Alan uses, but I’d be very surprised if IPA did any harm to any parts you bought from him.

I'm spraying the gutters I‘ve printed with Precision enamels, without primer. My figures, and little detail parts, are generally brush painted in acrylics, either Vallejo or Games Workshop.

HTH
Simon

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Speaking of the Modelu order...

These are the bits I'll need for the guttering:
PXL_20240127_130004955.jpg

The good news is that the plastic rod fits inside the holderbats without any mods. Interesting that the new prints have been printed in a different orientation to the originals.

The guttering looks good but the prints did arrive a bit bent:
PXL_20240127_123620056.jpg

And that brings me to my own personal bugbear about 3d printing, the amount of wastage. In terms of volume of useful material to waste, the ratio has got to be a good 10 waste to 1 useful:

PXL_20240127_130042349.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
Tis true, a large bin is a requirement. The proportions vary of course. I print gutters vertically on a raft, so the waste is only the raft itself and three or four little spindles to attach each length of gutter to the raft. The current loco coal wagon project is probably nearly as much waste as wagon.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I've just put a question in to Chris at Modelu.

Wondering how best to straighten the bent guttering prints? And wondering why the smaller section guttering prints have no brackets on them whereas the larger section ones do:

PXL_20240127_131037291.jpg

The smaller section ones look a bit bare without the brackets.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The remainder of the flashing has now been added. Same as before, thin paper and PVA.

PXL_20240127_165832597.jpg

PXL_20240127_165818845.jpg

I've now given it a coat of paint. Mostly 70.863 Gunmetal Grey, with a touch of 70.883 Silver Grey to lighten it up.

PXL_20240127_172028070.jpg

PXL_20240127_172037328.MP.jpg

Difficult to catch in the current light but the mix of the two paints does give the flashing a nice dull metal sheen. Happy with that.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Next job is windows and doors. Doors are ok but I just hate making windows.

A friend cut me some frames in his silhouette cutter for the rear two whilst we were both demonstrating at Stafford show in 2022. I've found these, and that gives me a good headstart.

PXL_20240127_162439813.jpg

Will have to find my book that tells me which bits should be cream and green. (Nope, I refuse to accept that they should really be WR colours :)) ).