7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Not at all Phill - you are most welcome to discuss on here! If the topic generates discussion thats fine by me...

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Rapidy heading towards a conclusion now. tank ends fitted and fettled. Axlebox tie bars added, I drill these 0.7mm into the axleguard and pin with brass wire, using 100 degree solder. Dischard pipe added. Just retaining straps,bars and tank top detail left. This will be an ex Air Ministry wagon with a welded tank, though I'm not sure the scalloped end of the support beams are right.

P1010126_wt.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
So there have been further tweaks and additions, the securing bars have been added as well as the tank top fittings and I squared off the ends of the tank supports. I thought I might get away with not having ladders, but the more pictures I see of these tanks, most of them were fitted by the early 60s, so that is the next task. And I thought I was nearly finished...

P1010137.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Whilst I'm awaiting the Flying Pig and other jobs to materialise - here is a kit that can be knocked out in a couple of days - the Connoisseur BR Bogie Bolster E. A great build, it fits together and the instructions are very very good. I changed the white metal buffers for nickle ones I had in the spares box as well as turning up my own posts.

Recommended!

P1010146.JPG

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Very nice as usual Tony, flying pig you say, do tell? I was to be honest hoping for an LNER fix as I can always rely on you for that :) How did the 04/8 go ? I was hoping to Dok te same one day but with the recent DMR news it may not be possible

ATB Mick

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mick - I must congratulate you on your MRJ article, very well done. The one I submitted has gone into oblivion! The Flying Pig ( Ivatt class 4 2-6-0 ):- MOK are about to release it anytime, my favourite ( apart from the WD maybe ) loco. They did have some in the north east by the way. I must post some pics of the 04/8, but it is not weathered yet. Mike of DMR was very helpful, so it might be worth an approach.. I can let you know what you need.

Will you be demoing at York? I will be there as a visitor for the first time ever!

Cheers

Tony

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mick - I must congratulate you on your MRJ article, very well done. The one I submitted has gone into oblivion! The Flying Pig ( Ivatt class 4 2-6-0 ):- MOK are about to release it anytime, my favourite ( apart from the WD maybe ) loco. They did have some in the north east by the way. I must post some pics of the 04/8, but it is not weathered yet. Mike of DMR was very helpful, so it might be worth an approach.. I can let you know what you need.

Will you be demoing at York? I will be there as a visitor for the first time ever!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks very much, I was really pleased with the article and the response it got. Not sure if ill get chance for another but we'll see. The Flying Pig is too a favourite of mine and I have some cracking pictures of them at York and in the East Riding, the MOK kit will go onto the ever growing list to be honest, who knows when I'll be able to afford one but one can dream. Again not wanting to copy but I have a love affair with the WD's, I've built the Wagon and Carrage Works kit in the past and didn't really rate it. Can you recommend a WD kit Tony as if there's one class that was well known in Hull it's the grimey WD! Some pictures of te 04 would be great when you get her weathered.

The S7 stand won't be at York this year, which I'm bitterly disappointed about. There's a story behind it which I won't bore you with but needless to say from 2014 onwards the stand should be there and ill be manning it with a another I would have thought. What day are you planning on goin this year and is Richard coming up. We could meet up for a quick brew maybe?

ATB Mick

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick - The Snowdon ( or Roxey WD as it is now ) is probably the best - although I've not built one, it was in MRJ I think some time ago. My built one, which must be well over 15 years old now is an Oakville ( Jim Harris ) one, which was a bit of a knife and forker, but not bad for it's era if you are prepared to put some work into it. At least Jim was honest the instructions said 'this is not the sort of kit that you rattle the box and produce and instant scale model' ! I have a JLTRT one in the cupboard, I'm told it's tricky, but If I've done a Harris K3 and WD, it should be a walk in the park!

I tried to get Richard and I a demo stand at York for this year/next, but that seems to have gone nowhere, which is a pity as I think we have a lot to offer as a double act demo and it could have acted as a precurser to Heyside being at the show.

I'm up for the whole weekend, not sure what day at the show - I will let you know, but a pint/ brew sounds like a good idea!

Cheers

Tony

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I tried to get Richard and I a demo stand at York for this year... ...I think we have a lot to offer as a double act...
I thought York is a model railway show :confused: .

Richard needs to get the Heyside Lads in line... making offers of entertainment which could be mis-construed as rivalling the Telford Drinking Club ;) .

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
A pint does sound better than a brew, I can recommend the Maltings near the station, some really nice real ales on and no music or loudness aloud!! It's a shame you can't get into demo, maybe once Heyside has been they'll change their minds ! I saw the Snowdon kit reviewed in MRJ some time ago and really like the look of it. I didn't know who had it now though, is it still available and do they have a website?

ATB Mick

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I do like the BEV I need a few more of these for my mixed freight, I bought one a few years ago. Now I know where to get them from I can feel a purchase or 3 coming on next month. Are they easy enough to put together?

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
I thought York is a model railway show :confused: .

Richard needs to get the Heyside Lads in line... making offers of entertainment which could be mis-construed as rivalling the Telford Drinking Club ;) .

There's nowt like a good beer up after looking at trains :) !!

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Heyside was offered to the York show - didn't even have an acknowledgement.:confused:

I may be up for the show, it depend's on Lady D's lecture commitments.

Richard

Hopefully you an make it Ruchard, I can't understand some exhibition managers sometimes, Heyside would be the main attraction surely!!

Ahhh, I remember that kit, the "white metal slidebars" were such a joy :rolleyes:.

Martyn.

Not sure if the wagon and carriage works kit was one of the same bit I ended up soldering nickel silver strips behind the slide bars as they kept braking of from the cylinder, if I were to tackle one now the valve gear would be scratch built. Looks like the Roxey kit is the way forward

ATB Mick

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
The description says it's built with its own sprung horn blocks which could help make the kit an easy S7 cut and shut.

Bear in mind - and I stand to be corrected on this - I believe the wheelbase was stretched slightly in order to provide clearance for Slater's FS wheel flanges. If this doesn't bother you, then it should be a straightforward build in S7.