40126's 16T Mineral Wagons Workbench

Western Thunderer
I thought i'd share my (3) 16T mineral Wagon's workbench with you all. I'm very much a novice at ... basically everything to do with model railways. So please bear with me.

I bought 3 wagons on a trip to Rails of Sheffield (secondhand shop). The previous owner had just spray them grey & added coal !!.

So first, i stripped them down to the original state. Which was yellow Hall & Dean wagons. Then i cut the wheels out (to be replaced with Slaters metal wheels).

Then i got some lighter fluid & with a drop on a cottonbud (borrowed from the wife) rubbed the lettering off, from all three wagons.

I dismantled the bodies from the chassis's. On the first chassis, after turning it over, i removed the coupling (repeating on all chassis's & on both ends of them). I also removed the coupling block with a hand saw & filed flush to the base.

Attachments

• img_1638.jpg
    img_1638.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • img_1641.jpg
    img_1641.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • img_1642.jpg
    img_1642.jpg
  • img_1640.jpg
    img_1640.jpg
    871.8 KB · Views: 32
  • img_1643.jpg
    img_1643.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • img_1639.jpg
    img_1639.jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 31

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Nice to see someone else doing some Lima conversions  :thumbs: 

I did a rake of these 16T'ers quite a while ago, I also did a rake of box vans using the Lima chassis & Parkside body's, they make excellent layout stock for not a lot of cash  :thumbs: 8) 8) 8) .......

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Watching with great interest  :thumbs:

Phill  :wave:

Attachments

• 291_XL800168_1.jpg
    291_XL800168_1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 194
  • XL802024.JPG
    XL802024.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 205

Western Thunderer
Thanks Phill.

Looking forward maybe to seeing your layout & stock running,in the future. Do the wagons have & the box's have consecetive (!) numbers ?.

Steve

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Another Lima user here... :thumbs: if you can get them without paying silly 'collector' prices they're well worth it...

17-04-10_145210.jpg

Mine have had a bit more weathering done since I took this pic, but the main jobs on them apart from the obvious wheels'n'couplings swap are filling in that gap across the top of the main side doors, and improving the running gear, so the brake blocks are in line with the wheels - this was done by an unknown Previous Owner of one of my 16t's; the others are still just a good intention I have... ::) :-[ :-[

There's a decals sheet available HERE from MG Sharps of Sheffield for them, too, if you didn't know of it. :thumbs:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hooray !! You have finally started your workbench :thumbs:. You see its not difficult, even i can do it :thumbs:
Nice to see you making some progress on these Steve. By the time youve finished them they wont look like Lima ones ;D

Rob :wave:

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
Phill Dyson said:
Nice to see someone else doing some Lima conversions  :thumbs: 

Watching with great interest  :thumbs:

Phill  :wave:
+1  :thumbs: :thumbs: Definately agree with Phill, you ought to have a tinker with some Mk1's too.... best of luck... Ross...

Western Thunderer
rosspeacock said:
+1  :thumbs: :thumbs: Definately agree with Phill, you ought to have a tinker with some Mk1's too.... best of luck... Ross...

I have purchased 4 x Big Big Mk2 coaches to convert (with Rob's help).  :))

Steve  :thumbs:

Western Thunderer
Jordan said:
Another Lima user here... :thumbs: if you can get them without paying silly 'collector' prices they're well worth it...

17-04-10_145210.jpg

Mine have had a bit more weathering done since I took this pic, but the main jobs on them apart from the obvious wheels'n'couplings swap are filling in that gap across the top of the main side doors, and improving the running gear, so the brake blocks are in line with the wheels - this was done by an unknown Previous Owner of one of my 16t's; the others are still just a good intention I have... ::) :-[ :-[

There's a decals sheet available HERE from MG Sharps of Sheffield for them, too, if you didn't know of it. :thumbs:

Thanks for that Jordan. Ive saved it in my favourites

Steve :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
40126 said:
I have purchased 4 x Big Big Mk2 coaches to convert (with Rob's help).  :))

Steve  :thumbs:
I think they are a better bet than the MK1's TBH, I did about 14 Lima MK1's, but for MK1's  I think I would be tempted to go for Easybuild or maybe JLTRT now  :scratch:

marsa69

Western Thunderer
I think I would be tempted to go for Easybuild or maybe JLTRT now

I thought about that but it would be a long-term aspiration. So I have acquired some more Lima Mk1's and some 3cee's sides and will set to in the summer making up a cheap and cheerful 4 coach rake  :))

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
marsa69 said:
I thought about that but it would be a long-term aspiration. So I have acquired some more Lima Mk1's and some 3cee's sides and will set to in the summer making up a cheap and cheerful 4 coach rake  :))
Trouble is once you've bought all the bits & the coach they are pretty close to Easybuild cost wise & a heck of a lot more work if widened etc..........depends how much you do to them really  :scratch: 

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
marsa69 said:
I think Aquitrain are re-doing the Three Cee's sides now  :scratch:

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Not that much really Phill. A few odds and ends and some new wheels and buffers, glazing and a lick o'paint. Like I said, cheap and cheerful until I can get the Easybuilds of this world next year or the year after,

:wave:

Mark

Western Thunderer
PMVY Workbench..

I only started taking pics when i'd nearly finished the underframe.

Attachments

• img_1231.jpg
    img_1231.jpg
    975.3 KB · Views: 32
  • img_1232.jpg
    img_1232.jpg
    994.5 KB · Views: 33

Western Thunderer
first two pics.. Pre Primer
The next three pics with primer.

Attachments

• img_1414.jpg
    img_1414.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Primer (3).jpg
    Primer (3).jpg
    977.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Primer (2).jpg
    Primer (2).jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Primer.jpg
    Primer.jpg
  • img_1415.jpg
    img_1415.jpg
    976.2 KB · Views: 35

Western Thunderer
First three pics... First coat blue.
Second three pics... second coat blue.

Attachments

• 1st coat.jpg
    1st coat.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 1st coat (2).jpg
    1st coat (2).jpg
  • 1st coat (3).jpg
    1st coat (3).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • 2nd coat.jpg
    2nd coat.jpg
  • 2nd coat (2).jpg
    2nd coat (2).jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 2nd coat (3).jpg
    2nd coat (3).jpg
    971.4 KB · Views: 29

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Very impressive and I love the BLUEhand normally reserved for the loco's and coaches but I suppose it suits anything really :))

Ian